Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Last Up: @Pepperdine

+4
Sound Voltex
NoPoNeighbor
DoubleDipper
Dean Murdoch
8 posters

Go down

Last Up: @Pepperdine Empty Last Up: @Pepperdine

Post by Guest Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:44 am

5PM start time for the final regular season game of the year. Pilots are on a 5 game losing streak. PU is on an 8 game losing streak. At Chiles, D had 19 points at the game went to OT, where Marcus saved the day. PU's last three games have been BYU (OT), GU, and SMC. Tough stretch. PU still has only one WCC win, by one point over LMU. But they have not quit since the announcement Coach Wilson will not return, and have played teams tough.

I fear the Pilots' young players are getting tired and discouraged from a long season with lots of losses. Hoping they can rally for a good game and another road win, before heading off to Vegas for the third round match with LMU.

Back to top Go down

Last Up: @Pepperdine Empty Re: Last Up: @Pepperdine

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:47 am

Wish list for today in priority order -

1) A win by the Pilots. Sure don’t want to head into Vegas on a 6-game losing streak.

2) A win by BYU over GU, which would give Gonzaga the 2 seed in Vegas assuming...

3) A win by SMC over Santa Clara.

Gonzaga has obviously been far superior to SMC in recent weeks. Would much rather the 1/8 matchup be against the Gaels if the Pilots can get there.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:48 am

up7587 wrote:I fear the Pilots' young players are getting tired and discouraged from a long season with lots of losses.  Hoping they can rally for a good game and another road win, before heading off to Vegas for the third round match with LMU.
Amen! And the fans too, I'm afraid.

I've spoken to many MBB fans over the last couple of weeks who have not only been discouraged, but concerned about the prospects of a couple of the Pilots key players even returning next year. At this point I don't think there is any solid basis for those concernes, but anytime you have the son of a coach getting more playing time then his performance indicates he should get while others sit on the bench without being given the opportunity to show what they can do, it can be troubling.

It's really difficult to say what's going on at Pepperdine with their coach being told he will not be coming back while the season is still underway, but Marty Wilson is a class guy and I'm sure he will go out in a classy way with his players fighting tooth-and-nail to give him a win on his final day as a coach in Malibu.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:07 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:2) A win by BYU over GU, which would give Gonzaga the 2 seed in Vegas assuming...

GU plays at BYU at 5pm, on ESPN2, same start time as Pilots. Watch one on TV, and the other on TheW.tv?

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:06 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I've spoken to many MBB fans over the last couple of weeks who have not only been discouraged, but concerned about the prospects of a couple of the Pilots key players even returning next year. At this point I don't think there is any solid basis for those concernes, but anytime you have the son of a coach getting more playing time then his performance indicates he should get while others sit on the bench without being given the opportunity to show what they can do, it can be troubling.
I certainly thought that Franklin Porter was receiving way too much playing time early in the conference schedule, given his lackluster performance. But over the last several weeks, since he was removed from the starting lineup, I think that issue has been resolved. His minutes have been reduced, and unfortunately he hasn't done much in those limited minutes to justify getting more playing time.

Malcolm, on the other hand, has seen his minutes increase. I think that is justified, given his more consistent offensive contributions compared with Walker over recent weeks. However, I think Malcolm should stop shooting three-pointers. That's just not his game.

Over the last 5-6 weeks, I don't know that any of the players would have a legitimate gripe that one of the Porters is unjustly taking away playing time, with the exception of Rashad Jackson. I'm still unclear how much of his reduced time is due to injury vs coaches' decision. I wish Smoyer got some more minutes, but it's hard to make a case that either of the Porters (guards) is taking minutes that he might otherwise play.

As we approach the close of the season, I believe my pre-season thinking was correct. JoJo Walker should have taken a redshirt year. Overall, I don't think the program has benefited from having three freshman point guards this year. Yes, all three have had their moments, but Walker hasn't been the immediate difference maker that some expected. We'd be in better shape for the future if we had a more experienced Walker beginning his eligibility as a redshirt freshman next fall.

The only players I'd be worried about potentially abandoning the Pilots' ship would be Walker, Shaver and Diabate. As far as I can tell, they are the only ones who might have something to gain by transferring up. Especially Shaver.

I suppose Jackson and Stone could be interested in transferring down to a school where they'd get more playing time as seniors, but that wouldn't be as much of a hit to the program. (I'm not saying that those two aren't great guys or good teammates, just that their loss wouldn't have the same long-term effect on the program as the loss of Shaver, Walker or Diabate.)

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:16 pm

11-0 Waves

welp
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 819
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:20 pm

8-1/2 minutes to get a bucket. I missed the first few minutes; theW.tv wouldn't load. Jackson and Smoyer playing. Why?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:23 pm

Man, I have seen some UGLY misses by the Pilots tonight. Really bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:29 pm

up7587 wrote:8-1/2 minutes to get a bucket.  I missed the first few minutes; theW.tv wouldn't load.  Jackson and Smoyer playing.  Why?

Swiegart indicated that Porter was not pleased with the efforts of the starters and sat all 5 after the first few minutes.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:40 pm

Long termers- is this the worst half in the history of the program? I cannot imagine there has ever been one like this, especially against a Pepperdine team that is one of the worst in America. Wow, crazy.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2017-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:46 pm

Down 42-17 against a one win team? Yeah, that's an all-time stinker. Whatever message the coach tried to send, it didn't get through.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:48 pm

11 turnovers. 26% shooting. PU has 10 offensive rebounds. Yuck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:49 pm

bobtcat2 wrote:Long termers- is this the worst half in the history of the program? I cannot imagine there has ever been one like this, especially against a Pepperdine team that is one of the worst in America. Wow, crazy.

Last year SMC held us to 9 points and 19% 2FG in the first half at home w/ a 28 point gap. So not the worst, but it's down there.

http://portlandpilots.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=8286

But holy eff, out of all the teams, it's Pepperdine?
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 819
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:53 pm

It is not UP tonight so far its PeeU.... Crying or Very sad

Hopefully the 2nd half improves a tiny bit.

I enjoyed seeing Smoyer and Jackson get some playing time without worrying about getting pulled out right away...other than that pretty dissapointing....

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:56 pm

Hey, curling is on!

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:01 pm

Pilots have made it easy to solve this conundrum for the second half:
up7587 wrote:GU plays at BYU at 5pm, on ESPN2, same start time as Pilots.  Watch one on TV, and the other on TheW.tv?  

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:04 pm

What a disappointing run of play the past few weeks. We looked better mid season, but we have fallen apart. Again.

Down by 25 to the worst team in the conference... Is this progress?

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:05 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:
bobtcat2 wrote:Long termers- is this the worst half in the history of the program?  I cannot imagine there has ever been one like this, especially against a Pepperdine team that is one of the worst in America.  Wow, crazy.

Last year SMC held us to 9 points and 19% 2FG in the first half at home w/ a 28 point gap. So not the worst, but it's down there.

http://portlandpilots.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=8286

But holy eff, out of all the teams, it's Pepperdine?

St. Mary's game was rough, but I think they were top 20 in Pomeroy. Pepperdine came into this one at #289!!!!

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2017-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:29 pm

46-55 nine point game, could it be possible?

My internet keeps cutting in and out

Thank goodness that that is over..

Just an observation,JO JO played 14 minutes

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:54 pm; edited 4 times in total

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:29 pm

Don't tease me!

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:02 pm

Pretty sad performance by the Pilots. Getting within 9 points was interesting, but ultimately irrelevant. I am happy for Marty Wilson, though. His team played well and he got to go out with a win.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:10 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:11-0 Waves

welp

And that was the final margin.

Back to top Go down