Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next Up: SCU

+3
wrv
Sound Voltex
DoubleDipper
7 posters

Go down

Next Up: SCU Empty Next Up: SCU

Post by Guest Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:03 pm

I can't think about USF and UOP any more, so on to the SCU game, Thursday, 7PM, Chiles Center.  No network broadcast.

SCU is 6-8 in conference.  We all know they held on to beat UP by 2 the first week of January in their gym. Outside the bottom three teams, their best wins are @USF and USD last Saturday.  They've lost 5 games to the top three, split with USF and USD, and got beat by 18 by UOP, at home.  KJ Feagin, a 6'-1" G is averaging 18 ppg.  He scored 32 yesterday in their USD win.  He did that with no 3Pt goals and only 4 FTs.  Expect to see face-guarding on him.  Last game, they barely used any subs, and only got 3 points of their bench.  Looks like a couple players, including Hauser who put in 22 points last time, have been out.  They are starting 3 SRs, a Jr, and a FR.

The difference basically between the two teams is that the more mature Broncos have been able to win their close games, beating UP by 2, USF by 3, and USD by 6.  They do not have any close WCC losses; their smallest margin of loss has been 8 points, and their average margin of WCC loss is 22.6 points. (UP's average margin of WCC loss is 15.1 points.)

Need to win this game to reach the 5 win plateau some predicted.  The next two after this one are tough.

UPDATE: the SCU board was speculating that Hauser might have been back for their last game, so maybe he'll return just in time for the Pilots.

Last edited by up7587 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)

Back to top Go down

Next Up: SCU Empty Re: Next Up: SCU

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:32 pm

First off, my heart aches for the families, friends and classmates of the dead and injured students in Florida.  College basketball is obviously trivial at times like this. The 18th school shooting at an American school in 2018....tragic and ridiculous!
up7587 wrote:KJ Feagin, a 6'-1" G is averaging 18 ppg.  He scored 32 yesterday in their USD win.  He did that with no 3Pt goals and only 4 FTs.  Expect to see face-guarding on him.
Coach Porter intimated the Pilots will have different defenders and defenses to slow Feagin down, but the Pilots must also cut down on his ability to distribute the ball to his teammates....Feagin is second in the WCC in scoring and 8th in assists, but he is also 6th in the WCC in 3-pointers per game.  He will kill the Pilots chances of winning if he's allowed to drive and draw fouls. He's the kind of guy who does not turn it over while under duress and his quickness has often gotten him to the hoop and foul line against some of the best defenders.

Matt Hauser hurt his foot or ankle against USD on January 25th, and has missed the five games since, but he's expected to see "limited action this weekend" according to the SCU staff.

Not quite sure what's going on with JoJo, but it appears that in addition to being poked in the eye, he's being outplayed in practice by Malcolm and Marcus.  Coach Cantu alluded to "academics" as a factor in JoJo's life, and that could be anything, but I know the freshman are expected to attend all their classes and sit in the front rows...and it's checked to make sure they are complying.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11391
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:21 pm

Was only able to catch the second half, but nothing surprising me that hasn't been seen in recent games. Bigs getting into foul trouble early, can't hold on to crucial 50/50 shots, can't capitalize. Sounded like we held Feagin in the first half but he let loose in the second half.

Gaels just got upset by USF, they'll be looking to blow off steam Saturday.

Postgame Radio with Coach Cantu: https://vocaroo.com/i/s0ZvSLPNQyu4
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:23 am

Disappointing that the game did not begin with a moment of silence for our fellow citizens in Florida who were victimized. Insensitive.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1443
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:33 pm

Miscellaneous uniformed observations:
- Not sure why we played man-to-man defense so long when it wasn't working.
- Why was Phillip in so much of the second half? No points, 1 rebound.
- By comparison, nice production from Diabate.
- Seemed like our best play was the latter part of the first half with our bigs on the bench and JoJo, Franklin, DeMarques all in. Nice flow and movement.
- Malcolm has clearly earned more playing time, not as quick as JoJo on offense or defense though.
- Rashad? Wow!
- DeMarques 16 points, 18 to go. Very cool.
- Better team won.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:12 pm

I have often wondered about something. Last night, the starters got behind. then when the bigs sat down, the team closed the gap and took the halftime lead. So, why do coaches go back to the original starting line-up for the start of the 2nd half? Last night, they immediately fell behind again.

I understand that the starting line-up is based on the coaches' best prediction for success. But when you have real time results that say a different set of players did better, why go back to the original plan?

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:11 pm

up7587 wrote:I have often wondered about something.  Last night, the starters got behind.  then when the bigs sat down, the team closed the gap and took the halftime lead.  So, why do coaches go back to the original starting line-up for the start of the 2nd half?  Last night, they immediately fell behind again.

I understand that the starting line-up is based on the coaches' best prediction for success.  But when you have real time results that say a different set of players did better, why go back to the original plan?

I think this team plays a lot better with Hartwich off the court. Maybe the +/- doesn't bear that out but it seems the offense is so atrocious with him in that it outweighs his defensive prowess. Not just the free throw shooting, which has become less of an issue as he shoots fewer of them, but the way he clogs things up. Diabate is smaller but with a little experience he's a major upgrade.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2017-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:54 pm

There are times when Phil's pursuit of the block makes for poor defense as well--the guard driving passes it off for a easy bucket/dunk. Phil's basketball instincts are improving but need work.

I am not sure I disagree with the notion that the Pilots are a better team without starting Phil. But it is likely we will have to wait until next year to find out.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

wrv wrote:There are times when Phil's pursuit of the block makes for poor defense as well--the guard driving passes it off for a easy bucket/dunk. Phil's basketball instincts are improving but need work.

I am not sure I disagree with the notion that the Pilots are a better team without starting Phil. But it is likely we will have to wait until next year to find out.
Phil put this game out of reach tonight with his technical and the technical Porter picked up defending him.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2017-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:17 pm

I guess this will be the post game St Mary's thread since none was created tonight.

Good:
- The overall fight by the team, giving Saint Mary's scoring/foul troubles, not letting it go beyond a couple possessions for most of the game.
- Smoyer being an unexpected threat against Landale despite having not played much recently

Bad:
- Couldn't capitalize as usual.
- The stream experiencing "Technical Difficulties" 5 minutes before halftime.
- The two technical fouls by Phil and Coach Porter. I know tensions are high and all, but we're within 6 and suddenly we give up 4 free points, effectively killing our chances there. I don't think I've seen arguing with refs end in a good way. Poor senior leadership by Phil there.

Post Game Radio with Coach Johnson: https://vocaroo.com/i/s0wfOqrqC2jY
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:50 pm

Probably the most enjoyable game to watch this season...great energy on the court and in the stands.  The ball didn't go through the hoop for the Pilots tonight, but their ability to get open shots or drive to the basket was much improved.

The T on Phil was for taunting directed toward Landale after Phil threw down a two-handed dunk.  The T on Terry had been coming for couple of games now as he continued to get more and more fed-up with the refs, but it finally got to the boiling point about 3 minutes before Phil's T.  Both technical fouls were the correct call, but Terry's appeared to be an attempt to fire up the team and crowd as the coaches and players attempted to separate him from the refs....and the strategy worked, but the Pilots appeared exhausted toward the end as they missed shot after shot, including layups and free-throws.

Really good effort tonight...much better than we've seen for awhile.

By my calculation, UP and LMU will play at 6pm on Friday March 2 in Las Vegas...the only thing to be determined is which color jersey they'll wear, as they are separated by 1 game with 2 games to play, and UP has the tie-breaker.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:12 pm

wrv wrote:Disappointing that the game did not begin with a moment of silence for our fellow citizens in Florida who were victimized.  Insensitive.
Full credit to the athletic department/administration for taking a moment of silence tonight with close to 4500 fans in attendance, including many who were school-age.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:25 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
wrv wrote:Disappointing that the game did not begin with a moment of silence for our fellow citizens in Florida who were victimized.  Insensitive.
Full credit to the athletic department/administration for taking a moment of silence tonight with close to 4500 fans in attendance, including many who were school-age.

Ditto that.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:03 am

Saint Mary's was vulnerable last night. They weren't hitting threes, they couldn't stop the Pilots' drives to the basket, and there was a large pro-UP crowd ready to get involved in the game. Unfortunately the Pilots aren't good enough this season to take advantage of that kind of golden opportunity. Frustrating.

If we'd made easy layups throughout the game, we could have been ahead by 6 points, instead of trailing by 6, at the time of the Hartwich/Porter technicals.

That foul call on Smoyer, his fifth, immediately before the technicals, was awful. It was an obvious foul on Landale, who hooked Smoyer and elbowed him across the chest. Instead the refs called the foul on the victim. That's what sent Porter over the edge. I was surprised a technical wasn't called on the coach at that point.

Two other thoughts:
- How/why are the Pilots racking up so many offensive fouls (turnovers!) setting illegal screens and doing other illegal stuff away from the ball? This seems to happen multiple times every game. It really cost us big last night. I counted at least 5 turnovers via away-from-the-ball offensive fouls.

- I really enjoyed the substitute PA announcer that worked the Thursday game vs Santa Clara. He was great. I was disappointed that good ol' Mr. Marbles-in-the-Mouth was back last night. Such a mumbler! "Lazen jelmin, YOUR Piladantee"

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:09 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:- I really enjoyed the substitute PA announcer that worked the Thursday game vs Santa Clara. He was great. I was disappointed that good ol' Mr. Marbles-in-the-Mouth was back last night. Such a mumbler! "Lazen jelmin, YOUR Piladantee"
You're not alone in your sentiment, NPN!  Many shared that sentiment during last night's game.  

I spoke with the "substitute" who told me he's just an "occasional" fill-in when the regular PA guy is not available....too bad.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:35 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
NoPoNeighbor wrote:- I really enjoyed the substitute PA announcer that worked the Thursday game vs Santa Clara. He was great. I was disappointed that good ol' Mr. Marbles-in-the-Mouth was back last night. Such a mumbler! "Lazen jelmin, YOUR Piladantee"
You're not alone in your sentiment, NPN!  Many shared that sentiment during last night's game.  

I spoke with the "substitute" who told me he's just an "occasional" fill-in when the regular PA guy is not available....too bad.

But who else can provide my bi-weekly dosage of "DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMARCUS TYSON FOOOOOOR THREEEEEEE!!"?
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:01 pm

Sound Voltex wrote: But who else can provide my bi-weekly dosage of "DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMARCUS TYSON FOOOOOOR THREEEEEEE!!"?
Well, with just one home game to go, I hope we get to hear that phrase over and over, but after that we'll have to head to Europe and hope we get to hear it in another language. cheers
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:03 am

- Thoroughly good game until the last couple minutes.
- Even the technicals were fun.  The crowd had a great reaction live and it was just as fun to watch TP on TV later.  Not a lot of imagination necessary to read those lips.
- Nice to see Rashad finally got some playing time.  He is just so quick.  
- Looks like DeMarques is in pretty easy striking distance of 1000 against BYU.  It was nice they were running plays for him, but it might have been easier on him if it hadn't been obvious to everybody in the arena that he was the only guy gonna shoot.
- Joseph was great to watch.  So pumped up.  Saw some of the potential realized that we glimpsed last year.  
- Marcus may well be better than Alex Wintering was his Freshman year.  
- Overall, we may not win, but we've shown we can give any team (except GU) a competitive game.  Nice to do with a mostly rookie team.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:35 am

bullwinkle wrote: 
- Marcus may well be better than Alex Wintering was his Freshman year.  
- Overall, we may not win, but we've shown we can give any team (except GU) a competitive game.  Nice to do with a mostly rookie team.

Both of these: yes!

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 781
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum