Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017-2018 Conference Schedule

+12
Stonehouse
Dean Murdoch
bullwinkle
MesaPilot1
PilotNut
StudentPilot
wrv
ExpatPilot
NoPoNeighbor
Sound Voltex
DoubleDipper
bobtcat2
16 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

2017-2018 Conference Schedule - Page 9 Empty Re: 2017-2018 Conference Schedule

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:51 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Can Tyson reach 1000 career points?

Does he read Pilot Nation? He is making quite the case for himself in this first half!

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 776
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:56 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:
NoPoNeighbor wrote:I also want to especially recognize Tyson's performance. 16 points in 20 minutes. 4-5 on three pointers. 4-4 on free throws. Quiet veteran leadership off the bench.
D'Marques is not only the captain of the team, he is acting like the captain by doing whatever it takes to help his teammates and his team.

His offense has never been questioned (yes, he's definitely a streaky shooter), but his defense is what has improved the most and is keeping him in the game.

"Selfless" is the adjective I'd use to describe him this season....
Can Tyson reach 1000 career points? He's sitting at 921 right now, with 8 games left. He needs to average 10 to get it done. I'm pulling for him! However, he's only averaging 7.4 on the season thus far.

He is having the best year of his career in terms of three-point accuracy, at .442. He's also averaging 10 fewer minutes per game than last year (16.4 vs 26.4).

Tyson musta heard ya and was like mmmm lemme like blow those averages outta the water. 17 points just in this first half alone, 5-7 3FG.

Good lead, but some questionable easy turnovers. Diabate having a little oil on his hands or just more pressure by LMU? Saw him lose control of the ball a bit more than usual lately.

Knowing how past games have gone with leads like this though, won't be completely relaxed until the game finishes.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 819
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:01 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:
Good lead, but some questionable easy turnovers. Diabate having a little oil on his hands or just more pressure by LMU? Saw him lose control of the ball a bit more than usual lately.

Knowing how past games have gone with leads like this though, won't be completely relaxed until the game finishes.

Diabate’s block, though.

Completely agree with the rest.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:23 pm

Wow , the bottom fell out...up by 10... down by 4 now...

I hope it changes.

Glad to see the Pilots playing somewhat better... did they come out stale at the half or what?...

Double Whew!!

Here is one for all you Stats guys: Our leading scorers this game came off the bench Tyson-22, Franklin-12 Very Happy

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:27 pm; edited 3 times in total

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:04 pm

Whew! Live by the three. Die by the three.

Tyson is our man. Shaver was our hero at the end with the free throws.

Diabate’s second block!

That foul by McSwiggan on the three at the end was a real killer honestly. But, he had his hands up.

As for MesaPilot’s question, LMU changed up their defense and totally shut down Tyson and our offense for nice 3-4 minutes drought.

Edit: Hooray for a season sweep!

Last edited by SouthCarolinaPilot on Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:10 pm

I'M REALLY HAPPY FOR THE WIN AND PROPS FOR TYSON FOR HAVING A GREAT GAME AND THE WHOLE TEAM FIGHTING TO THE VERY END, BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP MAKING THINGS MORE INTENSE THAN IT SHOULD BE.

Sorry for the all caps, I know they are a young team and all, but my heart can only take so much bounce
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:48 pm

https://twitter.com/PortlandPilots/status/959944003364864000

Lol'ed at Coach Porter's profanity being bleeped out at the beginning.

Post Game Radio with Shaver: https://vocaroo.com/i/s0DvG2fQqJVJ

Post Game Radio with Coach Cantu: https://vocaroo.com/i/s0TOSMN9LfMm
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:04 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:I'M REALLY HAPPY FOR THE WIN AND PROPS FOR TYSON FOR HAVING A GREAT GAME AND THE WHOLE TEAM FIGHTING TO THE VERY END, BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP MAKING THINGS MORE INTENSE THAN IT SHOULD BE.

Sorry for the all caps, I know they are a young team and all, but my heart can only take so much bounce

I had to watch the game on DVR, made sure I didn't know the final score beforehand. I should have looked, and I would have had a lot lower blood pressure and a lot fewer "what the #*!!" yells.

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:05 am

The difference between 5th and last is 8 points. With 3 fewer points Saturday and 1 fewer point in regulation on Thursday we would be sitting in last. With one more point at home against San Diego in regulation and 3 more points away at Santa Clara we would be in fifth.

Think about that for a while.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:54 am

dholcombe wrote:The difference between 5th and last is 8 points. With 3 fewer points Saturday and 1 fewer point in regulation on Thursday we would be sitting in last. With one more point at home against San Diego in regulation and 3 more points away at Santa Clara we would be in fifth.
Great post! The lower rungs of the WCC are extremely competitive this year. I'm sure glad to see the Pilots finally win a couple of these nail-biters.

This week's two wins could lead to a few different take-aways, some of which are contradictory:

• The Pilots have finally learned how to win close games;
  • OR we aren't really any better at winning close games -- we just happened to be in close games this week with the WCC's two worst teams, and they weren't good enough to take advantage of the opportunities we gave them to beat us.
  • The Pilots have demonstrated that they are a step above LMU and PU;
  • OR, they are basically exactly as good as LMU and PU. We played both teams more-or-less to a draw, on our home floor.
  • The Pilots have not learned how to protect a lead;
  • They are becoming more adaptable and resilient as a team. With Tyson and Diabate carrying the weight on offense this week, we look more capable of competing well even when our usual top scorers are having off nights.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:03 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Can Tyson reach 1000 career points?
Tyson 1000 Point Watch:
After scoring 22 against LMU, he now has 943 career points. Seven games left, and he needs to average 8.14 points per game to reach 1000 for his career.

In related news, Tyson is now the WCC's most accurate three-point marksman for the season, at .468. After Hermanson (SMC) and Williams (USD), McSwiggan is #4 at .441.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/conferences/statistics/player/_/id/29/stat/3-points

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:01 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:This week's two wins could lead to a few different take-aways, some of which are contradictory:

• The Pilots have finally learned how to win close games;
    i.e. have Marcus at the FT line at the end
  • OR we aren't really any better at winning close games -- we just happened to be in close games this week with the WCC's two worst teams, and they weren't good enough to take advantage of the opportunities we gave them to beat us.
    Maybe true with PU, but LMU can be a good team
  • The Pilots have demonstrated that they are a step above LMU and PU;
  • OR, they are basically exactly as good as LMU and PU. We played both teams more-or-less to a draw, on our home floor.
  • The Pilots have not learned how to protect a lead;
    a lot of teams had that problem yesterday, including SMC
  • They are becoming more adaptable and resilient as a team. With Tyson and Diabate carrying the weight on offense this week, we look more capable of competing well even when our usual top scorers are having off nights.
    with 3 true freshman starting, this team is learning quickly

I think it is amazing that we are putting the end of game play in the hands of a true freshman.  And I am impressed with how quickly Diabate is improving.  For example, he is still only 52% on FTs for the season.  But in the last six games he is 12 of 15, 80%.  

I think Coach Porter, with strong support from Coaches Cantu, Johnson and Knudson, is building all the pieces for a good team.  Only thing missing is another 7 foot shot blocker in the pipeline.

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:28 pm

up7587 wrote:I think Coach Porter, with strong support from Coaches Cantu, Johnson and Knudson, is building all the pieces for a good team.  Only thing missing is another 7 foot shot blocker in the pipeline.
As nice as it is to have a 7' guy like Hartwich who can block a ton of shots, I'd rather have a 6'9" guy who can provide a legitimate scoring threat down low. I suppose a 7' guy who can do both would be even better, but that's a guy who is unlikely to come to UP in the near future..

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:36 pm

up7587 wrote: Only thing missing is another 7 foot shot blocker in the pipeline.
True!

But redshirt freshman 6-9 Hugh Hogland, and inbound freshman 6-8 Josh Phillips will be much more athletic and bouncier than Phil, and should be able to block even more shots.

Also, the coaches have made it a priority to sign at least one more big man for 2018, and 6-10 AJ Edu, the young man living in England that I shared a video of in the "2018 Recruiting" thread, is apparently on the list of possible future Pilots and will likely visit the Bluff after the season is over.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:59 pm

Obviously a VERY SLOW news day on PilotNation.....

But Coach Porter was busy at Voodoo Doughnut...could be he's got another career opportunity after he decides he's had enough of basketball.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:32 pm

7. Portland Pilots (10-15, 4-8 )

Last week: W 85-76 (OT) vs. Pepperdine, W 68-66 vs. Loyola Marymount
This week: Feb. 8 at San Francisco, Feb. 10 at Pacific
Previous: Eighth

The bottom of the WCC is a crapshoot. Portland played the two worst teams in the league last week, both at home, and barely escaped with victories. The Pilots’ inexplicable win over San Diego a couple weeks back, in which they scored only 55 points, may prove incredibly valuable. Having knocked off two teams below them in the standings, and already owning a season sweep of LMU, Portland stayed in contention for a first round bye in the conference tournament.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/2/6/16976244/wcc-power-rankings-saint-marys-gaels-smc-zags-gonzaga-bulldogs-pacific-tigers-byu-cougars-west-coast
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:46 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:But Coach Porter was busy at Voodoo Doughnut...could be he's got another career opportunity after he decides he's had enough of basketball.

Ha, I saw that video yesterday, but didn't take the time to figure out how to post it. Guess I'm not an authentic Portlander. Lived here 63+ years, never been to Voodoo Doughnut.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:26 am

up7587 wrote:Ha, I saw that video yesterday, but didn't take the time to figure out how to post it.  Guess I'm not an authentic Portlander.  Lived here 63+ years, never been to Voodoo Doughnut.  
Well, it's only been around for 15 years... Rolling Eyes

Admittedly, the only time I go is when tagging along with the thirty-something crowd, but you don't even have to venture downtown anymore, there's a Voodoo Doughnut in NE Portland too....

Not long ago I went to a Voodoo Doughnut in the other city that wants to "keep weird," Austin, Texas.  I've been told there are now shops in Eugene, Denver, and the LA area.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9