Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 off season

+5
DoubleDipper
ExpatPilot
Stonehouse
PilotNut
NoPoNeighbor
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2017 off season  - Page 2 Empty Re: 2017 off season

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:04 pm

Based on the scrimmage, best players on the team are F. Porter and McSwiggan. After those two, I was most impressed by Shaver and M. Porter.

Claims of Hartwich's improvement are unfounded, based only on last night's limited sample. He missed numerous easy shots, and missed badly on several attempted short hook shots, despite being defended by players several inches shorter and significantly less experienced.

I was unimpressed by Diabate's offensive game. Very poor shooting performance, missing numerous layups and short baseline shots.

Tyson is as one-dimensional as ever, and last night he shot terribly.

Hogland and Diabate did a good job on the rebounds. Hartwich blocked a lot of shots.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:20 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:I was unimpressed by Diabate's offensive game. Very poor shooting performance, missing numerous layups and short baseline shots.

Oh there's plenty of room for improvement. But I loved his instincts and how he always seemed to be in the mix for loose balls and rebounds and all that. I think he's going to be good.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:04 am

A more detailed write-up via the Portland Tribune.

http://www.pamplinmedia.com/pt/12-sports/368973-251597-pilots-mostly-new-as-journey-begins-in-earnest
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:55 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote: Claims of Hartwich's improvement are unfounded, based only on last night's limited sample. He missed numerous easy shots, and missed badly on several attempted short hook shots, despite being defended by players several inches shorter and significantly less experienced.
Well, it was only a scrimmage, but Phil's 17 points on 8-for-11 shooting, 20 rebounds, and 4 blocked shots does seem an improvement from what I remember from last season.

Rashad Jackson's 20 points, 10 rebounds and five assists seems noteworthy, but yeah, it would seem Franklin Porter's 27 points is a good omen for the sophomore guard who is expected to be starter this coming season.

The guys headed to the airport this morning, it will be interesting to see how they do against older more established teams in England.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:10 am

In his remarks, Porter tempered expectations for next season:

Porter isn't expecting a quick turnaround from last season, when the Pilots won their first two WCC games, then dropped their final 16 — 12 of them after losing their best player, point guard Alec Wintering, for the season to injury.

"The challenge is getting the guys to all buy into a team-first philosophy," Porter said. "We have to make huge strides and try to climb. It's going to take a couple of years. We have a lot of freshmen. There are going to be growing pains. The game is going to be different for them.

"But we want to make some strides. We don't want to win two games in conference, I'll say that much. Is it going to be .500? I don't know what it's going to be, but the guys will grow. Offensively, I think we'll be fine. Defensively, we have to get better. Defense is going to make the difference for us."

Outside the apparently good performances already mentioned, the fact that McSwiggan will play power forward is interesting. Starting five Walker, Shaver, Porter, Hartwich and McSwiiggan?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:31 am

The tradition continues:
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench