Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Sports Weekend

4 posters

Go down

What's the biggest sports story this weekend?

Big Sports Weekend Vote_lcap86%Big Sports Weekend Vote_rcap 86% 
[ 6 ]
Big Sports Weekend Vote_lcap14%Big Sports Weekend Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
Big Sports Weekend Vote_lcap0%Big Sports Weekend Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

Big Sports Weekend Empty Big Sports Weekend

Post by Guest Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:43 pm

Seems like there is a lot going on this weekend, so I thought I'd ask your opinion of the biggest story.

Back to top Go down

Big Sports Weekend Empty Re: Big Sports Weekend

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:08 pm

up7587 wrote:Seems like there is a lot going on this weekend, so I thought I'd ask your opinion of the biggest story.
HAHA, you've:
1. Got way too much time on your hands.
2. Watch/show interest in way too many sporting activities (is WrestleMania even a sport?).
3. Forgotten to include the Women's Final Four and UP's Beach Volleyball games against UW this weekend in your poll...I'm watching both.

But I really like the idea of starting a poll again, it should really be fun when we get to MBB season again...a good chance to arm chair quarterback (arm chair point guard just didn't sound right) the coaching staff after a game. Twisted Evil
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:04 pm

Yeah, watching the UConn overtime now. If MSU prevails that will be the big story.

Last edited by up7587 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:14 pm

I thought about voting for WrestleMania. It is "sports entertainment", but the refs are better than the ones in the UConn game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:19 pm

Once again, evidence that the SEC is now a basketball conference.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:45 pm

up7587 wrote:Once again, evidence that the SEC is now a basketball conference.  
Yup, to end UConn's 111 game winning streak, and for MSU to avenge last year's 60 point loss to UConn at the OT buzzer is almost better than winning the final game on Sunday....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:40 am

I agree. Might as well give Mississippi State the trophy for slaying the dragon. I will be rooting for the Gamecocks Sunday but I can't be mad if MSU wins. They would deserve it. It would be MSU's first ever national championship in any sport! Crazy to think that UP has more than them.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 776
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:10 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Yup, to end UConn's 111 game winning streak, and for MSU to avenge last year's 60 point loss to UConn at the OT buzzer is almost better than winning the final game on Sunday....
South Carolina was the better team today, not sure, but I think that's the third time this season that USC beat Mississippi State.

It had to be really tough for MSU to expend all their physical and emotional energy while stopping UConn Friday and then have to take on a team that seemed to have their number 48 hours later.

No reason to hang your heads, ladies....congratulations South Carolina.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:01 am

That was thrilling! Don't ever tell me women's basketball isn't exciting because students were jumping in the fountain here.

That was the third time South Carolina and Mississippi State played this season. All were won by South Carolina by increasing margins of victory. I, too, was sad for Mississippi State, but I really appreciate what their coach said in the locker room to the team before the game. It was something along the lines of: "That wasn't an upset, because we have been playing well all season. We didn't come here to upset UConn but we came here to win a championship." I feel especially bad for their fanbase because they have never won a championship in any sport, ever. I feel especially bad for Morgan William given all the pressure, hitting that emotional buzzer beater to beat UConn, and then getting benched the entire 4th quarter of the championship game. I question that call, personally. It was still a winnable game for Mississippi State at the start of the 4th quarter.

But, like StudentPilot said: "no reason to hang your heads."

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:28 pm

So, looking back at each event:
-The Final Four was marred by poor play.  In the championship, Gonzaga could not hit a shot.  And the play stopped for a foul call every 15 seconds.  Ugly.
-MLB kicked off with a Cubs loss.  And the Mariners got shut out; so much for their great offense.
-No great excitement at Martinsville.  Junior got spun out by his next door neighbor, then got wrecked by Danica and Hamlin. Brad K. won with minimal drama.
-PGA was overshadowed by the ridiculous penalty levied at the LPGA major.
-NBA games were played.
-NHL games were played.
-Arsenal and Man City tied 2-2, so nothing was decided.
-in the NFL, Jerry came out for leniency for dope smokers. Looking for a Ricky Williams comeback?
I think that leaves WrestleMania as the biggest story. John proposed to Nikki.  Undertaker retired.  The Hardy Boys returned.  Lesnar and Goldberg actually spent more than a minute in the ring.  Shane O'Mac did crazy stuff.  KO used one finger.  Stephanie went through a table. Bayley is still champ.  Here's a fun recap: sbnation.com/wrestlemania-33-recap-first-time-watching-wrestling-oh-my-good-lord

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:54 pm

-Timbers laid an egg in a 1-1 draw at home to New England on Sunday.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:20 pm

- Pilots took the series against Santa Clara

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter