Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where do we go from here?

+31
PDX
pilotfan4life
Rochin54
Rob's Jacket
The Wingman
deprofundis
pilotdad1
2002Pilot
Urika
newpilotfan
jumpstop
piloted
KTodd
mikemac65
upbasketball544
Oldfan
blacksheep
Stonehouse
DTLegend
Woodless 2.0
bullwinkle
dholcombe
Geezaldinho
NoPoNeighbor
PilotNut
pilotram
Dean Murdoch
SoCalPilot
wrv
DoubleDipper
ExpatPilot
35 posters

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Go down

Where do we go from here? - Page 4 Empty Re: Where do we go from here?

Post by pilotram Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:27 am

Joe Scott is available. Could be a good fit.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:30 am

“We need to talk long and hard about (NCAA Tournament) money distribution that we’re making for the league,” Few said, “and if they’re not spending it on basketball, we don’t need to be sponsoring swimming at those schools or whatever they’ve got going. They’re not all in.”
They do if it's a Title IX issue, which it could very well be for swimming or "whatever."
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:51 am

I'm amazed that it has taken Few this long to make a statement like this. From his standpoint (and Bennett's and Rose's), the other 7 schools really need to get it together.

Non-shocking opinion for those who have read my rants here: I agree with him, in terms of materially improving basketball programs.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:06 pm

cyclops
pilotram wrote:Joe Scott is available. Could be a good fit.
Hmm, yeah he's a good coach, but would it really be an upgrade?  

It's a shame Rev and his staff are still left dangling...not knowing where their future might be.  I can only surmise the AD has one, maybe two coaches in mind, to replace Rev, but if he cannot get those guys, Rev stays at least another year. That's obviously just a guess, but it was/is the situation at USF.

Sources have said that Walters would have stayed if USF could not get Steve Lavin.  Well, Lavin has not been officially announced, but Walters is gone.

If a change is made at UP, I see Rev heading up a D1 program somewhere....possibly even this year.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:19 pm

[quote="DoubleDipper"] cyclops

It's a shame Rev and his staff are still left dangling...not knowing where their future might be.  

I agree with that sentiment. Let's not delay a decision any longer: waiting is not fair to the staff.

This clamor for change is arguably not well considered and may lead to a quick downturn in the program.

Reveno is a better coach than acknowledged. He made it through ten years at Portland, something his last three predecessors did not approach.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:09 pm

Dawkins out at Stanford.

Early names being thrown out as a replacement there are Bryce Drew, Russell Turner, and.....Rev?

@AaronQ13Fox wrote:keep an eye on Reveno too. Don't know if he's the right guy, but they'll give him a look
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:29 pm

Terry Cahill wrote:Dawkins out at Stanford.

Early names being thrown out as a replacement there are Bryce Drew, Russell Turner, and.....Rev?

@AaronQ13Fox wrote:keep an eye on Reveno too. Don't know if he's the right guy, but they'll give him a look
Oh, I would love it if Rev went to Stanford!!

Not only a great move for he and his staff, but an endorsement of his good coaching while in a tough situation at UP. Stanford spares little in fielding it's best teams in all sports, and Rev would be wonderful fit there....and first-ever former UP MBB coach to actually coach D1 again.

I'm not rooting for him to leave, I'm rooting for him to land on his feet in wonderful and storied program....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:12 pm

Oh, and what about Dawkins to UP?

He'd probably have to have a big Nike endorsement to make ends meet after his Stanford salary....some have surmised that rookie Coach Dawkins starting salary was around $900,000 per year 8 years ago.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:47 pm

What is Craig Robinson up to these days?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:03 pm

Re Few's comments, does he want to win every year, or does he want other schools to step up and knock them out of the tourney some years.  How many NIT years will Zag fans put up with before they demand change?  #Entitled

Just last year, wasn't the league something like #7 in RPI.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:10 pm

up7587 wrote:Just last year, wasn't the league something like #7 in RPI.
Didn't check the RPI, but KenPom has rated the WCC like this out of 32 conferences:

2010 - 14
2011 - 13
2012 - 11 (BYU's first year)
2013 - 10
2014 - 9 (UOP's first year)
2015 - 9
2016 - 11

I understand Coach Few's frustration for the lack of strength of schedule within the conference and the school having to share its NCAA Tournament largess with the rest of the WCC.....wouldn't it be nice if UP had the same complaints?  Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfan Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:34 pm

Perhaps GU and BYU should move on to a conference that is worthy of them.

Oldfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2016-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:24 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:

Oh, I would love it if Rev went to Stanford!!

Not only a great move for he and his staff, but an endorsement of his good coaching while in a tough situation at UP. Stanford spares little in fielding it's best teams in all sports, and Rev would be wonderful fit there....and first-ever former UP MBB coach to actually coach D1 again.

I'm not rooting for him to leave, I'm rooting for him to land on his feet in wonderful and storied program....

This is the best scenario. We don't have to fire a nice guy who had a few good years, but has not had recent success and we still get to shake up the program by bringing in a new coach. It also gives us a bit more recruiting power when searching for a new coach as our program could then be seen as a potential stepping stone to a better program should it not itself become a better program. Repeat several times and you should have a pretty good coach. Either that or find the Clive Charles of basketball at a local high school. Hmmm.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:37 pm

Oldfan wrote:Perhaps GU and BYU should move on to a conference that is worthy of them.

I don't think it's too much to ask that the bottom of the conference have RPIs of 200 at worst, with maybe the 9th and 10th place team falling a bit below. This year only the top 4 teams had RPIs above 200. The rest of the conference might as well have been the Big Sky.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:38 am

Terry Cahill wrote:

“We need to talk long and hard about (NCAA Tournament) money distribution that we’re making for the league,” Few said, “and if they’re not spending it on basketball, we don’t need to be sponsoring swimming at those schools or whatever they’ve got going. They’re not all in.”

It's my understanding there hasn't been a whole lot of distribution and the conference is sitting on a nest egg.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by KTodd Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:38 am

Pilot Nation,

I assume I’ve met a few of you, but I can’t connect the regular contributors on this board and your profile name, to a real person – nor am I trying to do so.  It’s a message board, people post what they want, throw out ideas, thoughts, opinions, I get that.

Keeping it simple here, I was forwarded a screenshot of a March 10 DoubleDipper post re travel plans to re-recruit, now since edited.  I’d like to say this - upbasketball544, whoever you are, thank you for your reply the following day.  

My name on here is KTodd, I’m not anonymous on this board or in person.  I’ve been to every home game the last two years, I’m fairly easy to spot sitting to the side, across the bench.  For those of you I actually know by your real name and who’ve inquired as to how we’re doing, thanks for your support.  To upbasketball544, I hope one day you introduce yourself.

KTodd
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:03 am

And now his predecessor at Stanford, Trent Johnson (who had a 4 year stop at LSU between jobs) is out at TCU.

Disgruntled alumni?  Dwindling attendance?  Winning is not easy, but it sure keeps everyone  excited and supportive of a program.....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:50 am

Report from the Beacon says Coach Reveno is no longer the head coach.

https://twitter.com/UPBeaconSports/status/709810622519762945

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:57 am

Confirmation:

http://www.portlandpilots.com/news/2016/3/15/eric-reveno-will-not-return-as-mens-basketball-coach.aspx?path=mbball

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:58 am

DTLegend wrote:Report from the Beacon says Coach Reveno is no longer the head coach.

https://twitter.com/UPBeaconSports/status/709810622519762945

Certainly not unexpected, but I'm still feeling sad to see him go.

Good luck on your future coaching Rev! You always did things the right way and hopefully that won't change with the new coach.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:03 pm

A big thanks to Rev for representing the U with class over the years, and for consistently graduating players.

So, back to the original question of the thread: Where do we go from here? Question

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:05 pm

blacksheep wrote:Certainly not unexpected, but I'm still feeling sad to see him go.  

Good luck on your future coaching Rev!  You always did things the right way and hopefully that won't change with the new coach.
Amen to that!

Does Rev take the UOP job?  They need to get their academic house in order.....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:14 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Does Rev take the UOP job?  They need to get their academic house in order.....

Interesting thought... he is the type of guy they need right now, and he is quite familiar with that area.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:21 pm

Godspeed to Rev, and (assuming they will be departing too) all the assistants and BB staff. Wonderful people who we were lucky to have for as long as we did.

As for what's next, I guess the first place would be to look at Scott Leykam's track record of coaching hires... Brent Crouch (first time D1 head coach), Cheryl Sorensen (first time D1 head coach), Geoff Loomis (first time D1 head coach), and Nick Carlin-Voigt (first time D1 head coach). EDIT: Sorry, forgot Pasha Spencer, who had previously been the head coach at St. Mary's, though had been out of college coaching for a few years.

So, that seems to be something of a trend. Not that hiring an experienced D1 coach is out of the question - I'm sure there are plenty of options out there - but if history shows anything we might reasonably expect a younger, up-and-coming D1 assistant or lower-level head coach.

I would also venture to guess that they will probably be looking for someone who is into analytics and has a "moneyball"-style approach.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:24 pm

PilotNut wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Does Rev take the UOP job?  They need to get their academic house in order.....

Interesting thought... he is the type of guy they need right now, and he is quite familiar with that area.

Actually, I still think Reveno is "the type of guy [we] need right now . . ."  I too am saddened by this news.

Nonetheless, one aspect of going somewhere from here is determining whether we can hold on to our core group of players. Is this going to lead to transfers from the program?

Moneyball as an inspiration now.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum