Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where do we go from here?

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

Go down

default Re: Where do we go from here?

Post by blacksheep on Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:34 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:

This could have been done this past offseason at the same cost. There's no reason to do this now given that the team has basically performed at or mildly above the low expectations that were set for them.

Not really. If TP was let go last season, the school would have had to go out and hire a new head coach. If they let him go mid season, one of the assistants would be promoted to interim head coach at presumably lower salary.

I do agree that there is no real benefit to firing a coach mid season. UP made the decision to go with him for another year and they should stand by that, no matter how painful it might be for the TP haters out there.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch on Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:18 pm

blacksheep wrote:Not really.  If TP was let go last season, the school would have had to go out and hire a new head coach.  If they let him go mid season, one of the assistants would be promoted to interim head coach at presumably lower salary.  

I do agree that there is no real benefit to firing a coach mid season.  UP made the decision to go with him for another year and they should stand by that, no matter how painful it might be for the TP haters out there.  

Oh, yeah, for sure no new head coach. I meant they could have promoted one of the assistants to interim HC this past offseason. I think that possibility was even floated in this thread after the pandemic hit.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:16 pm

For the record, UP was VERY close to canning Porter last year.

Then the pandemic hit and the money that was offered up to pay for it went to help the university survive.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11179
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by optimist on Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:52 pm

1-43 It is time for Terry to go...for everyone's sake.

optimist
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2019-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:15 pm

optimist wrote:1-43   It is time for Terry to go...for everyone's sake.  

They are 8-63 in his tenure.

It was time last year. Relax. Ride it out. We don’t have to warm seats, at least.

Scott better have a hell of a plan.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:12 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Scott better have a hell of a plan.
Well, he might, but I'm told it will not be an expensive plan due to the lack of university of income that is expected to continue into the foreseeable future.

There are a number of very strong, hungry, and talented assistants out there the players will respond to...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 8839
Registration date : 2011-11-03

dholcombe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GoPilots19 on Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:44 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
Well, he might, but I'm told it will not be an expensive plan due to the lack of university of income that is expected to continue into the foreseeable future.

There are a number of very strong, hungry, and talented assistants out there the players will respond to...

This ^ Scott may need a plan but what we need more is a ambitious assistant with a step-by-step plan to get us out of the WCC basement.

GoPilots19
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2020-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe on Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:53 am

DoubleDipper wrote:

Not being an expensive plan may be to our benefit. An "expensive plan" by up standards likely would not be enough to hire a top tier D1 coach, but would be enough to hire a coach with middling, but proven performance at the d1 level. I'd like to see us hire a head coach that has had success at a lower level program or at a high school program that did not have success prior to that coach where that success is not attributable to an individual athlete such as a high school getting a once in a generation or less mcdonald's all american player that would have carried any coach to success.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 577
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Geezaldinho likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:11 pm

For god sakes make sure there is a decent buyout clause.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

dholcombe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch on Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:01 am

https://pepperdinewaves.com/news/2018/2/13/Men_s_Basketball_Coaching_Change_Announced_for_Next_Season

A reminder of what Pepperdine did a few seasons ago. If the rest of this season goes along the same script as every other year under Coach Porter, you have to wonder if the Pilots will do the same thing this year and announce early in order to get a leg up on the search.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:01 pm

Jeez. How much searching needs to be done? You’d think with a couple years to plan it would just be checking down a list of prospects.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Yesterday at 1:35 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:There are a number of very strong, hungry, and talented assistants out there the players will respond to...
In addition to a number of assistants interested in the UP job, I'm learning there are at least a few successful mid-major D1 head coaches who are also interested and would likely demand much less money than TP is being paid.

Without naming anyone specifically, there are head coaches who would consider the UP position a step-up because they would be moving up to the WCC and the opportunity to show they can win in a strong conference.

The WCC recently dropped to the #9 position among all conferences according to KenPom, but the conference is still ahead of 23 conferences, but behind the Power-6 and the American and Atlantic 10.  There may not be a big scramble to leave the #10 Mountain West, but the #15 Ivy (a conference that is taking this season off), the #17 Big West, and the #27 WAC, all have experienced and successful coaches looking to move up.

One assistant coach with a lengthy record of success who was one of my top two choices 5 years ago, Jim Shaw, is now the associate head coach at WSU.  I'm guessing Jim was interviewed for the job before UP instead decided to go with a coach who brought Blazer glamor, and I don't know if he's still interested, but he would certainly raise the level of recruiting and coaching at UP.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 8839
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Yesterday at 1:53 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:In addition to a number of assistants interested in the UP job, I'm learning there are at least a few successful mid-major D1 head coaches who are also interested and would likely demand much less money than TP is being paid.

Without naming anyone specifically, there are head coaches who would consider the UP position a step-up because they would be moving up to the WCC and the opportunity to show they can win in a strong conference.

To me this is both surprising and encouraging.

I had planned to respond to Geez suggesting we call it more of a "recruitment effort" than a "search" given the magnitude of the turnaround that needs to happen in this program. If the goal is to hang a banner at the end of the year, then UP is without a doubt the toughest job in the entire country right now.

Let's hope you're right, DD. It's been a looooooooooooooong half decade.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum