Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garrett Smith makes Canzano's "Top 25 in Oregon" list

3 posters

Go down

Garrett Smith makes Canzano's "Top 25 in Oregon" list Empty Garrett Smith makes Canzano's "Top 25 in Oregon" list

Post by Stonehouse Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:25 pm

Top 25 most influential people in Oregon sports, that is.

Coach checks in at #22: http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2015/07/john_canzanos_25_most_influent_14.html#incart_2box_sports_oregonian_john_canzano_index.ssf

Interesting to me is the stat he pulled about "There have been 62 Division I championships in women's sports of basketball, soccer, softball and volleyball in last 15 years. Only three of those have been won by schools that do not have a FBS football team."

Those three? Santa Clara in 2001, Portland in 2002, and Portland in 2005... all in women's soccer.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Garrett Smith makes Canzano's "Top 25 in Oregon" list Empty Re: Garrett Smith makes Canzano's "Top 25 in Oregon" list

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:55 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Interesting to me is the stat he pulled about "There have been 62 Division I championships in women's sports of basketball, soccer, softball and volleyball in last 15 years. Only three of those have been won by schools that do not have a FBS football team."
Er, OK?  I wonder what other totally irrelevant stat we can pull up.....or am I missing something here? Embarassed

But congratulations to Coach Smith...it's always good to have press clipping when you're on the recruiting trail.....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Garrett Smith makes Canzano's "Top 25 in Oregon" list Empty Re: Garrett Smith makes Canzano's "Top 25 in Oregon" list

Post by Stonehouse Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:25 am

Ha! I thought it was interesting because that means UP's title in 2005 is the last time a non-"Power Conference" school won a title in the four premier women's college sports.

Just gives some interesting context into how special that 2005 championship team really was, and how over the past ten years the influx of football spending/money has made it that much more difficult for non-football schools to compete in women's soccer.

Three non-football titles from 2001-2005. Zero since. That has to mean something, right?

And zero non-football school titles at all since 2000 in volleyball, basketball, and softball.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:40 am

Well Men's Lacrosse has had three non power conference champions ( Hopkins twice and Denver) since 2005.

Duke has had four championships, and while they are ACC, they can't possibly be using football to bankroll their other programs.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:43 pm

Oh for sure... there are some examples in other sports. Providence won in women's XC just last year, in fact.

Not that I'm any sort of expert on athletic department budgets, but with the increased amount of money coming in from TV contracts (even Duke and the ACC have a big chunk coming in every year) at least some of that money does end up in other programs.

I *believe* (could very easily be wrong on this) that there are certain rules that mandate that if you upgrade men's facilities you also need to upgrade women's facilities, etc. It's not a 1-to-1 ratio by any means, but it's not allowed for schools to provide top-notch facilities/equipment in men's basketball and not in women's, etc.

Anyway, there's just a whole lot more money in college sports now than there was 15 years ago. And a lot of that increase has come from football TV deals.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down