Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cassandra Brown Wins NCAA 3pt Championship!

4 posters

Go down

Cassandra Brown Wins NCAA 3pt Championship! Empty Cassandra Brown Wins NCAA 3pt Championship!

Post by PilotNut Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:45 pm

Congrats, Cassandra!! Not only did she win the Women's Title, she then beat GU's Kevin Pangos (Men's title winner) in the Battle of the Champions, 21-20... Brown made her first 9 attempts in a row in the final!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Cassandra Brown Wins NCAA 3pt Championship! Empty Re: Cassandra Brown Wins NCAA 3pt Championship!

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:24 pm

Oh man, that was great!! Basketball

Six of us who've known CB since she was a freshman 5 years ago we're literally jumping around helping her make as many shots as possible while watching the competition on ESPN.

After Kevin put up 20 in the championship, I really loved seeing the male competitors going wild watching CB sink her first 9 and beating Pangos without needing to sink the final "money ball."  

As the two finalists were Canadian, most of the publicity belonged to that country, but toward the end of the broadcast the broadcasters and CB gave a number of shout outs to Portland and the WCC.  

The last participant to be invited to the competition, CB received a call from her coach while in class and soon thereafter headed to the airport to arrive just last night.  

A very proud moment for CB, UP, and the WCC....I cannot think of any better publicity going forward on the recruiting trail....and I can't think of the last time I saw six people with tears in their eyes from the emotions of seeing a loved UP student-athlete WIN on a national stage....well, not since the last UP Women's Soccer National Championship.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Cassandra Brown Wins NCAA 3pt Championship! Empty Re: Cassandra Brown Wins NCAA 3pt Championship!

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:36 pm

Pangos shot pretty well, too.

Nice try. He almost won it all;)
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:39 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
After Kevin put up 20 in the championship, I really loved seeing the male competitors going wild watching CB sink her first 9 and beating Pangos without needing to sink the final "money ball."  
See what I mean:
Cassandra Brown Wins NCAA 3pt Championship! Passth10
Too me, the most amazing part was that by the time CB and Kevin were finished, each had attempted 100 3-pointers.....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:43 pm

Oregonian Story

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:43 pm

The explanation on the Zag site is she used the Women's ball Rolling Eyes
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:10 pm

Based on what we saw in Vegas, Chase Fischer of BYU should of been in that contest for the men.  Hitting my head agai

Congrats to Cassandra!

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Uh-oh, what's TSA going to say about this.....?

Cassandra Brown Wins NCAA 3pt Championship! Cbob3310

I'm told she also won a trophy as the women's champ.... Very Happy
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:41 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:
See what I mean:
Cassandra Brown Wins NCAA 3pt Championship! Passth10
Too me, the most amazing part was that by the time CB and Kevin were finished, each had attempted 100 3-pointers.....
That picture. Epic.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:30 am

pilotram wrote:That picture. Epic.
Directly behind CB in the picture is the easily recognizable SMC senior forward, Brad Waldow.

What I found most funny about the guys immediately after CB won the contest was their awkward uncertainty about giving her hugs. Razz  

There were a couple of hugs mixed in with back slaps and high fives....the guys are obviously well trained at treating an athlete like an athlete, regardless of gender.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:54 am

Guessing the ass-slaps were kept to a minimum.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:59 pm

SportsCenter report:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:01 pm

Longer video.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:09 pm

CTV News wrote:(Cassandra) Brown's father, Robb, said it was "any dad's dream to see his daughter beat the guy in the final."

Brown's parents couldn't watch the competition on TV in Canada, so they drove five hours from B.C. to Washington state to watch it at a sports bar.

Brown's mother, Bonny, said everyone in the bar was celebrating when her daughter won the competition.

"Everybody was screaming and crying and cheering, and she was just knocking them down one after another," Bonny Brown said.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:49 pm

CBC News wrote:(Cassandra) Brown headed to Tampa after the competition for contests aimed at showing off her skills for the WNBA and overseas teams. She hopes to get an agent soon.

She said she's amazed at all the attention.

"My phone has been blowing up," she said. "I have a thousand Facebook notifications. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, I've been getting a lot of support."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:44 pm

Those of us who knew of the foot-long bar in CB's chest never spoke of it, but its mentioned in this article....

The article also mentions UP assistant coach Megan Osmer.  Well, Megan definitely stood out in the live coverage of the event as she was the hard-to-miss blond wearing the Portland Pilots shirt and standing with the fans wrapped in the Canadian flag.  

http://www.macleans.ca/society/newsmaker-cassandra-brown/

Here's Megan with CB:
Cassandra Brown Wins NCAA 3pt Championship! Cboyqh10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:56 pm

Finally had a chance to check-in with CB:

CB was not originally picked to compete in the 3-point contest. It turns out she was a last-minute choice to join the competition only because the competitor from the U. of Tennessee did not acknowledge her invitation.

CB, who is 22 years-old, said there was a great party with an "open bar" for all the competitors and their entourages after the competition.

It was the biggest (over 7,100 fans), most raucous crowd she ever competed in front of, and she was so nervous she was "shaking" at the beginning, but by the time she got to the second rack of balls she started "feeling it."

She did not have to take the "humongous" trophy through the TSA checkpoint coming back to Portland....instead it was shipped by the sponsor to her home in Vernon, Canada.

She came home with some pretty good swag, including a "PlayStation PS4s and a whole bunch of gear."

CB said, said the WNBA combine and free agent camp in Florida was pretty much a "money grab" by the sponsors of the event.  “It was kind of a waste of time. They had about 100 girls crammed into a gym for 10 hours. You played three minutes, then sat for an hour and played another three minutes.”

CB is talking with pro agents and hopes to nail down a contract later this month. Her wish list includes Greece, Italy and Australia.

What a wonderful experience for a wonderful young lady!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:35 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Those of us who knew of the foot-long bar in CB's chest never spoke of it....
I guess her surgery was public.  This video from a year ago discusses about CB's courageous comeback.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:15 am

Saw Cassandra at the airport this past weekend and learned she's a member of the Canadian National Team competing in the upcoming Pan Am Games in Lima, Peru.

After playing professionally in Poland and Slovakia, CB has been playing in Greece the last couple of years...and has "really enjoyed traveling througout Europe" playing and helping develop youth players.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:41 pm

Now 30, Cassandra is planning to return to Australia where she was last season's MVP of her team, the Mount Gambier Mountaineers, but first she is putting on a 3-day camp in Vernon, BC for young girls.

https://vernonmatters.ca/2022/12/08/local-pro-hosts-girls-holiday-basketball-camp/
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down