Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Honest question time.

+17
goldhelmet
SoCalPilot
ExpatPilot
jumpstop
pilotdad1
blacksheep
VillaGorilla
OldePilot
NoPoNeighbor
ekrauss
DoubleDipper
bullwinkle
pilotram
DTLegend
Geezaldinho
Dean Murdoch
PilotNut
21 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Honest question time. - Page 4 Empty Re: Honest question time.

Post by goldhelmet Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:36 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:How does Grier's record compare to Reveno's?

[Grier // Reveno]
Overall: 117-144 (.448) // 128-157 (.449)
WCC: 51-73 (.411) // 54-84 (.391)
.500 seasons: 4 of 8 // 4 of 9
avg. WCC finish: 5.375 // 5.778
highest WCC finish: 3 // 3
worst WCC finish: 7 // 8

These two guys couldn't be much closer in terms of performance. Bottom line? If USD fires Grier and UP keeps Reveno, USD has higher standards.

Legit question.
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:28 pm

Also, Grier has an NCAA tourney berth and tourney win.... granted it was with Holland's talent... that is still a significant accomplishment that we have been nowhere near. Not even close.

There was the whole point shaving scandal as well.... Grier would have been fired instantly if he had ANY involvement in it, and I have to think the stigma impacted recruiting for a few seasons (and therefore results). You can almost understand USD wanting a clean slate to start over after it was solved... but we are a few seasons too late for that? scratch

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:48 pm

They both were established assistants at great programs, Rev at Stanford and Grier at Gonzaga. They both are solid individuals and bring good kids into their program. I wonder if the administration at USD thinks that their location will be a better attraction to a potential coach, after all who wouldnt want to live in San Diego, especially if being paid 400,000 +.

Im just going to say this, as a parent of a former player and a fan of the Pilot players. Rev is doing a great job at UP. There, I said it on record. He should not be fired for his win loss record as his contributions overall to the school have to be blended into the conversation. I know he held my son accountable every day, rewarded him with consecutive years as the team captain and at the end of the day gave Ryan real world experiences he can take with him for life.

I for one hope he is able to continue on at the helm, if you had the opportunity to know these players and the fine young men they are, you too would be proud of the selection of athletes Rev is bringing to the bluff.

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2014-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by RiseUP Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:36 pm

I like Rev a lot and think he is a great fit for the University. That said, something needs to change. I'd love for the school to allocate more money to the basketball program (and think it would return the investment). In the early years of his tenure I loved the devotion to the assistants and how he made sure they got more money. But something's definitely missing with the development of the program. Something needs to change. Utah's coach just gave credit to his assistants and said they'll all be good head coaches. How many of our assistants would get hired as a head coach or even as an assistant at this level?

I don't envy the position of Leykam or Fr. Poorman (who I hope is involved and realizes the importance of the basketball program).

RiseUP
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2009-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:21 pm

Grier also had the point shaving  scandal on his watch.

Not pegging it on him, but when star player  Brandon Johnson  gets dragged out of bed by the FBI at 5:50 in the morning and lands in jail in his boxer shorts along with former assistant TJBrown it isn't a plus on your resumè.

He was supposed to be the upgrade from very successful and well respected Brad Holland.

That's different than from when Rev came to town.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:42 pm

RiseUP wrote:I like Rev a lot and think he is a great fit for the University. That said, something needs to change. I'd love for the school to allocate more money to the basketball program (and think it would return the investment). In the early years of his tenure I loved the devotion to the assistants and how he made sure they got more money. But something's definitely missing with the development of the program. Something needs to change. Utah's coach just gave credit to his assistants and said they'll all be good head coaches. How many of our assistants would get hired as a head coach or even as an assistant at this level?

I don't envy the position of Leykam or Fr. Poorman (who I hope is involved and realizes the importance of the basketball program).

I agree.  We have had virtually the same Assistants throughout Rev's tenure... maybe that is where some change needs to happen?  Why haven't any UP assistants been plucked away for "better" opportunities?  

Tough decisions are going to need to be made if we want to change the direction of the program.  It is not going to be easy.

Change must happen.
 We cannot stay on this same path and expect different results.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:10 am

PilotNut wrote:I agree.  We have had virtually the same Assistants throughout Rev's tenure... maybe that is where some change needs to happen?  Why haven't any UP assistants been plucked away for "better" opportunities?  

Tough decisions are going to need to be made if we want to change the direction of the program.  It is not going to be easy.
If by "virtually the same assistants" you mean one, Coach Jackson, then yes you are correct.

As far as being "plucked," how many assistants in the WCC are "plucked" except those at the most expensive program in the WCC, Gonzaga?  Coach Sobotka certainly went to a more prestigious and higher paying position at Valley Catholic, but I don't know if he was actually "plucked," or just recruited by an admiring school president and advisory board.

There has been change this year with Coach Wolf no longer coaching or recruiting and Coach Brown taking over coaching duties.  From outside looking in, it would appear that Coach Jackson and Coach Pfaff do the majority of the leg and telephone work when it comes to recruiting, evaluating, and game preparation, but Coach Brown and Coach Reveno also do it all....

Having never had the opportunity to coach a game myself, I'm not qualified to judge the talent of a coach, but I can say with assurance that the UP coaching staff goes far and wide looking for recruits that will fit the UP requirements to be a good student, a good athlete, and a good teammate.  I'm not sure when the coaches have time to sleep or have a life outside of basketball....to me, they are so dedicated to the players, the program, and the school, that everything else is secondary.  

Practices at UP are intense and well organized.  Scouting of opposing teams is constant with the help of video supplied by the Technology Coordinator, Tim Grass. The high-end machines used on court and the performance technology and methods used by Director of Athletic Performance, Brad Scott, are some of the best in the business.

So I don't have the answer to the call for change, as everything needed to run a winning program appears to be in place. But I am confident that the people currently in charge of the men's basketball program work harder and closer to 24/7 at their job than any of us who contribute to PN have ever worked at our jobs.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:05 am

It is obvious the majority of this board wants Rev back..........so, if that is the mindset. Logic would suggest you should have a stronger voice advocating to extend his contract by two years. Rev is basically on a "lame" duck contract for next year, with a team losing seniors, returning a young/inexperienced D-1 group(including Freshman and Juco transfers) with only a few veterans. So going in to next year on a lame duck contract would not be the wisest decision for the future of this program. Might as well extend him 2 more years to "right" this program. I can tell you this much, hanging on to him for only one more season, with a young/inexperienced group would be the worst possible way to handle it! So if they have confidence in him for one more year, then they need to pony up and go all in!

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:06 am

It is likely true that the majority of posters on this website prefer that Reveno continue as coach of the Pilots. His enthusiasm and indeed his character are admirable, even at times inspirational. That stated, the preference to keep our coach is not particularly enthusiastic; Reveno has his detractors, though I suspect very curable with better results. Winnning the WCC is one goal which Reveno repeats often---I think that unrealistic--upper division finishes and beating the Sacramento States of D1 are more realistic goals.

As a fan, I fnd it hard to cheer for what are prepetually mediocre results however much I like Reveno, or the Pilots. I am not sure that Reveno has earned a contract extension beyond 1 more year based on results.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:07 am

I would keep Reveno. I would not extend his contract at this time.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:50 am

(Taishi) Ito described Reveno as a “very passionate man,” who would fight with his own players.

“He’s such an emotional person,” Ito said. “He’d have his speeches, having tears in his eyes, even in pre-game meetings. Whether we’d lose or play better, he stayed the same, being emotional. His coaching style would be something that would touch the players’ hearts. It was a great four years.”  
From the Japan Times today:  http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2015/03/21/basketball/pilots-coach-reveno-cherished-time-japan/#.VQ28NbtFDIU
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:42 pm

Coach I wish you the best next year. Those closest to the program, who perhaps do not post here, have assessed the variables and determined that you should continue as Pilot coach.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2015/03/eric_reveno_will_coach_portlan.html#incart_river

Go Pilots.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilot2002 Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:07 am

After all this chatter I am glad Reveno is coming back. As much as this year felt like a disappointment based on expectations we did have a winning record and hosted a postseason tournament game. I think the athletic department and University would have a very hard time finding a better coach knowing the last one was fired after a winning season. I don't think Portland could get a coach to come in at this time with those standards & expectations to exceed on an annual basis at this time.

Pilot2002
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:45 pm

wrv wrote:An announcement was made today stating that USD’s head coach for men’s basketball, Bill Grier, will not return for the 2015-16 season. Bill recently completed his eighth season with the Toreros men’s basketball program.
Former USD player and very experienced west coast and regional assistant coach, Lamont Smith, is the new head coach at USD.

http://www.usdtoreros.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/033115aaa.html
Honest question time. - Page 4 10953710
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4