Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LMU @ Portland, Saturday 7pm

+6
ShipstadPilot11
Dean Murdoch
Geezaldinho
NoPoNeighbor
DoubleDipper
PilotNut
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

LMU @ Portland, Saturday 7pm - Page 2 Empty Re: LMU @ Portland, Saturday 7pm

Post by Guest Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:34 pm

If I figured it correct, the only we would face LMU again this year is if they beat Gonzaga first. Whew! I do not like playing them.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:51 pm

I checked on the refs that worked the game.....they're not rookies, as a matter of fact they're quite experienced.

This was the lead official's 13th game of the season....and his first Pilots game, but he's worked SMC 5 times, and USF, LMU, and SCU each twice.  

One of the officials has worked 25 games this season, but the only other time he worked a UP game this year was in Spokane.

I wasn't willing to pay the fee to get information on the third ref.... Rolling Eyes, but I don't see where they've worked together as a crew before.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11264
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:10 pm

I didn't notice so much as you guys who watched live, but it did seem like a call was often made not by the closest ref, but by one further away.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:53 am

up7587 wrote:I didn't notice so much as you guys who watched live, but it did seem like a call was often made not by the closest ref, but by one further away.  
I heard a few comments of the same nature throughout the game.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:39 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:
up7587 wrote:I didn't notice so much as you guys who watched live, but it did seem like a call was often made not by the closest ref, but by one further away.  

Looking back at it, it probably wasn't as bad as it appeared. However, when you have the wrong ref making the call, refs making opposite calls (with one ref deferring to the other, then eventually overruling him), late whistles, and a few legitimately awful calls, the home crowd is going to get restless.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:28 pm

blacksheep wrote:Looking back at it, it probably wasn't as bad as it appeared.  However, when you have the wrong ref making the call, refs making opposite calls (with one ref deferring to the other, then eventually overruling him), late whistles, and a few legitimately awful calls, the home crowd is going to get restless.  
OK, I'll (grudgingly) accept that.

Let's just say the Lions and Pilots seemed much better at teamwork than the team of refs that worked the game.  The discussions, the trips to the monitor, the late calls, and the seemingly awful calls contributed to the lack of game rhythm during the last 10 minutes and made for a very frustrating evening.  

Wow, two more years of Evan Payne....it ought to be entertaining....you've got to wonder why he doesn't start for the Lions.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:33 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:
That happens multiple times every game. It's normal. Sometimes the one farther away has a better look.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:58 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Wow, two more years of Evan Payne....it ought to be entertaining....you've got to wonder why he doesn't start for the Lions.
One Pilot fan was overheard propositioning a bet that Payne would transfer to SMC at the end of the year. Pure speculation, of course, but interesting.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:50 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Wow, two more years of Evan Payne....it ought to be entertaining....you've got to wonder why he doesn't start for the Lions.
One Pilot fan was overheard propositioning a bet that Payne would transfer to SMC at the end of the year. Pure speculation, of course, but interesting.
Um, probably not.

Geezer and others probably know the WCC to WCC transfer rules, but I believe he'd have to sit out two years.  So, he'd presumably have a redshirt year AND lose a year, making him a senior before he could suit up.....I think.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:17 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
ShipstadPilot11 wrote:
Um, probably not.

Geezer and others probably know the WCC to WCC transfer rules, but I believe he'd have to sit out two years.  So, he'd presumably have a redshirt year AND lose a year, making him a senior before he could suit up.....I think.

From the BYU site: ( Why aren't conference rules online?)

In the sport of men’s and women’s basketball only, a student-athlete who previously enrolled at a Conference institution and transfers directly or indirectly to another Conference institution shall fulfill a one-year residency requirement upon enrollment and shall be charged with the loss of one of the four permissible seasons of competition.

Never heard of it being enforced, though. Exceptions must be easy ( Jones, USD- SMC)

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Correct... there is a reason why players don't transfer within their conference... they would have to sit out the "NCAA rule" year, plus an additional "WCC rule" year.

Now, if a player graduates and still has a year of eligibility, they can transfer "for graduate studies" without sitting out either of the 2 years.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:28 pm

PilotNut wrote:Correct...  there is a reason why players don't transfer within their conference... they would have to sit out the "NCAA rule" year, plus an additional "WCC rule" year.  

Now, if a player graduates and still has a year of eligibility, they can transfer "for graduate studies" without sitting out either of the 2 years.  

It doesn't say two years like other conference  rules do. I think you just have to sit the one year per NCAA rules and take the eligibility hit.

Payne is a Soph? He would have one year left.

Here are the intra conference transfer rules for all conferences:

http://compliance.pac-12.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/CCACA-Intraconference-Transfer-Survey-March-2014-1.pdf
(WCC IS PAGE 9)
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:59 pm

There were comments about that on LMU Lions Den, along the lines that Dunlap is trying to build a team approach, but would using a one-man scoring machine be better if the "team" isn't getting it done.

Let's see, he scored 14 points in a minute, projecting that out over 35 min/gm and 30 games, what's the season scoring record? Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:00 pm

up7587 wrote:
There were comments about that on LMU Lions Den, along the lines that Dunlap is trying to build a team approach, but would using a one-man scoring machine be better if the "team" isn't getting it done.

Let's see, he scored 14 points in a minute, projecting that out over 35 min/gm and 30 games, what's the season scoring record?  Suspect

Well, if he does that for 30 games, that's 14,700 points.

I'm betting he gets doubled or LMU gets an ncaa title.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:33 pm

I believe that for a player to get an exemption to the one year inter transfer rule, the coach would have to grant a release. It is common knowledge among players etc that no coach is going to allow a player to transfer to a school in the same conference without sitting the mandatory two years.

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2014-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:21 pm

pilotdad1 wrote:I believe that for a player to get an exemption to the one year inter transfer rule, the coach would have to grant a release. It is common knowledge among players etc that no coach is going to allow a player to transfer to a school in the same conference without sitting the mandatory two years.

Actually, by NCAA rule, the conferences have the ability to ignore the failure to grant a waiver by the previous school for several reasons, including family hardship, loss of the athletic scolarship, change of major, lack of playing time, or a variety of other reasons.
And it can be appealed to the ncaa, as it was with Eastern Washington not granting
Darren Cooper a release.

And the loss of eligibility rule has also been waived.
Don't forget Rob Jones played four years in the WCC despite the in-conference transfer, so it's happened at least once.

I'm not sure the voting policy in the WCC ...committee of the whole ( Presidents)  is my guess.

And schools will often grant waivers with a coaching change. (UP did it the last two changes)

And some  WCC schools have a history of always granting releases as a matter of policy.

Catholic forgiveness thing, I guess.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:09 am

I wonder what kept Payne at LMU after Max Good was fired? Most of his teammates and incoming recruits abandoned ship.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:29 am

Could be that education thing.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by jumpstop Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:05 pm

According to Evan Payne's twitter account, he is leaving LMU.
https://twitter.com/E_payne23

jumpstop
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2013-12-01

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2