Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PSU @ Portland, 12/3, 7pm

+10
Stonehouse
martymoose
writerpilot
NoPoNeighbor
blacksheep
jumpstop
wrv
DoubleDipper
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
14 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

PSU @ Portland, 12/3, 7pm - Page 2 Empty Re: PSU @ Portland, 12/3, 7pm

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:38 pm

PilotNut wrote:It's also possible that I was a little fired up after the game....  maybe I need a 2-hour waiting period before I post. Rolling Eyes
Forget about it!!  I almost always wait, but tonight I left the Chiles Center in a bit of a (foul) mood after witnessing Rev's wholesale substituting, the officiating, and seeing PSU's #3 slap away the handshake attempt and take the ball to the hoop at the end of the game.

Tomorrow I'll step back and see a much better game....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11311
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:39 pm

To confirm comments in the stands, Wes Matthews was at the game tonight. Wes retweeted this:
@UPortland wrote:So great to have Wes Matthews @wessywes2 & Hersey Hawkins in the house to watch the Pilot win tonight! @trailblazers
PSU @ Portland, 12/3, 7pm - Page 2 Wesmat10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:44 pm

Highlights

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:48 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:tonight I left the Chiles Center in a bit of a (foul) mood after witnessing Rev's wholesale substituting, the officiating, and seeing PSU's #3 slap away the handshake attempt and take the ball to the hoop at the end of the game.

Tomorrow I'll step back and see a much better game....

I'm glad I'm not the only one.... I want us to really put teams away when we have the chance... I mean trounce them, and not let up.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:31 pm

Oh, and another thing....the fans!  When PSU was making there comeback they were getting a lot of energy from their fans.....the UP fans sat in stunned silence for the most part.  

On more than one occasion earlier in the game when the Pilots were making particularly good defensive plays, Rev had to turn and rev up the crowd because we all seemed to be sitting on our hands instead of standing and yelling.  I was as guilty as the guys behind me, but we just weren't into the game as we should have been.  But it was great seeing Rev take over the cheering on a number of occasions as he implored his players to play their hearts out.

Don't even get me started on the students....

I strongly suggest UP get rid of the current Wally....no presence whatsoever....physically in the building, but no crowd involvement....and instead of Wally, get some students to lead the students.

Come on Villa....challenge the other houses/dorms to some cheer competition.  Finals aren't until next week....you've got all day Sunday to study (after you watch the women play UW @ 2PM).
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:19 am

So sad that the attendance for this game was under 1,500.

And the student section was also sad. The student section was rocking for the Concordia game, but has since returned to its standard hibernation mode. I brought a friend to the game who asked, "Where do the students sit?" That was at halftime. Something is very wrong if a casual observer can't even tell where the student section is located at a college basketball game, due to complete lack of interest/involvement/cheering.

Last edited by NoPoNeighbor on Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:21 am

Re: media coverage

Daschel wrote a good article for the Oregonian, and we've heard that 1080 radio didn't even mention the game.

Any other media coverage? I saw a few photos with KATU cameras during the post-game interviews. Did they, or any of the other local TV, have anything on the 11pm news?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:35 am

As for the game itself:

GREAT to see VDM with a dominant performance. I'd love to see a repeat against OSU, which has some actual D-I caliber inside players (including Thomas' compatriot, Olaf Schaftenaar).

Wintering was impressive. He's really improving his finishes at the basket, which opens up a whole new dimension to his game.

Three-point shooting: Yikes! Sharp 2 for 8, Tyson 1 for 6. You could tell that Reveno has decided the way for Sharp to get on track is to leave him out there and tell him to keep shooting. We'll see if it works.

Kevin Bailey: An injury could be BAD for this team. Really bad. KB did NOT look happy on the bench. What a disappointment it must be for him, after missing the last couple of months last year. Fingers are crossed.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:37 am

Regarding attendance: how could they draw more when the parking lot was so full?

Surprised that even that many made it in as crowded as the main lot was on a night both cold and a little wet.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1425
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:43 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Kevin Bailey: An injury could be BAD for this team. Really bad. KB did NOT look happy on the bench. What a disappointment it must be for him, after missing the last couple of months last year. Fingers are crossed.

What happens if he's not available? Pressley to wing, start either Sharp or Tyson at SG? Or does Todd draw into the starting lineup?

Here's hoping it was just a precautionary boot...hate to see him go down with what they've got going on right now.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:13 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:What happens if he's not available? Pressley to wing, start either Sharp or Tyson at SG? Or does Todd draw into the starting lineup?

Here's hoping it was just a precautionary boot...hate to see him go down with what they've got going on right now.
All pure speculation at this point (but really, isn't that what these forums are all about? Razz ), but my vote would go to Jason Todd.  

Last night, when UP was playing at its best, the ball movement and spacing was as good as I've seen it at UP, and it was obvious the freshmen had assimilated the offensive and defensive schemes well, but it was Todd who stood out in his ability to pass, screen, defend, and on occasion, shoot.

Don't get me wrong, D'Marques is a wonderful athlete who obviously has the green light to shoot, but Jason appears to be the tougher, basketball-smarter of the two at this early point in their development.  

But does it really matter?  They'll both get a ton of minutes if KB is down for awhile.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:27 am

DoubleDipper wrote:...and seeing PSU's #3 slap away the handshake attempt and take the ball to the hoop at the end of the game.

Wait, what? Seriously? I didn't see that on the broadcast...that is hilarious to have to resort to that. Dude's going to have to play Wintering and the Pilots two more times in his career, and I doubt Alec is going to forget that one!

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:41 am

Leaving the arena I had a long time PSU supporter seek me out and apologize on behalf of PSU fans for what he called a classless act.

I just shrugged it off and said it was unfortunate but the guy was obviously frustrated and left it at that. He did say he was impressed with UP and especially Wintering, who pretty much turned the tables on Douglas from last year.

A healthy crosstown rivalry is great, though. Plenty for the young ones to take away that it's not an ordinary game.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:17 am

Portland Tribune wrote:Eric Reveno is the Thin Man these days, 30 pounds lighter than a year ago. But it's not because he has worried himself sick over his University of Portland Pilots......
Full article here: http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/242733-110074-bigs-wintering-power-pilots-past-vikings
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:25 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Full article here: http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/242733-110074-bigs-wintering-power-pilots-past-vikings
Nice article.

The Pilots have plenty of size, an impressive little point guard in sophomore Alec Wintering and the potential for Reveno's first 20-win season on The Bluff.
Well...first, third, whatever.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:02 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
DeanMurdoch wrote:What happens if he's not available? Pressley to wing, start either Sharp or Tyson at SG? Or does Todd draw into the starting lineup?

All pure speculation at this point (but really, isn't that what these forums are all about? Razz ), but my vote would go to Jason Todd.  
PSU @ Portland, 12/3, 7pm - Page 2 Mancru10

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:36 pm

up7587 wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:
PSU @ Portland, 12/3, 7pm - Page 2 Mancru10
I've told others I fully expected that today....but it's (almost) deserved.  Razz

But, hey....how about that Dance Team:
PSU @ Portland, 12/3, 7pm - Page 2 Dance_10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by writerpilot Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:25 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:...and seeing PSU's #3 slap away the handshake attempt and take the ball to the hoop at the end of the game.

Wait, what? Seriously? I didn't see that on the broadcast...that is hilarious to have to resort to that. Dude's going to have to play Wintering and the Pilots two more times in his career, and I doubt Alec is going to forget that one!

It made Deadspin! I guess it only takes a classless, stat-padding steal to get the Pilots some sort of national media recognition.
http://deadspin.com/portland-state-player-goes-for-fake-handshake-steals-b-1666813594
writerpilot
writerpilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by martymoose Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:31 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Leaving the arena I had a long time PSU supporter seek me out and apologize on behalf of PSU fans for what he called a classless act.

I just shrugged it off and said it was unfortunate but the guy was obviously frustrated and left it at that. He did say he was impressed with UP and especially Wintering, who pretty much turned the tables on Douglas from last year.

A healthy crosstown rivalry is great, though. Plenty for the young ones to take away that it's not an ordinary game.

Consider this a second apology. That was pretty low. Embarassed
martymoose
martymoose
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2007-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:45 pm

The coaches were shaking hands when the steal occurred. You can see Geving turning back to Rev to presumably apologize. I can only imagine the choice words Coach Geving had for Bryce back in the locker room. Evil or Very Mad
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:46 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:http://deadspin.com/portland-state-player-goes-for-fake-handshake-steals-b-1666813594

Annnnnd apparently the little incident is getting some attention.

Annnnnd apparently you didn't read two post above yours Razz
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:52 pm

blacksheep wrote:
DaTruRochin wrote:http://deadspin.com/portland-state-player-goes-for-fake-handshake-steals-b-1666813594

Annnnnd apparently the little incident is getting some attention.

Watch it, remember who's got the "reigns!" Razz Yet another administrator...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:04 pm

It's spreading!

Bleacher Report: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2289627-portland-state-player-turns-end-of-game-handshake-into-steal-and-dunk

SB Nation: http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/12/4/7336335/spiteful-portland-state-player-pulls-fake-handshake-steal-dunk-move

Business Insider: http://www.businessinsider.com/portland-state-fake-handshake-2014-12

Barstool Sports: http://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/super-page/portland-state-player-fakes-end-of-game-handshake-instead-steals-the-ball-and-scores/

I may or may not have posted this on YouTube and sent it to Deadspin. Wink
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:07 pm

Stonehouse wrote:I may or may not have posted this on YouTube and sent it to Deadspin.  Wink

Oh my god, this is hilarious. I came here to say that it looks like someone is about to get a hell of a lot of views on their YouTube channel!

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:13 pm

blacksheep wrote:

I don't know what you speak of.

“History is written by the victors.”

― Winston S. Churchill
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator