Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots @ San Jose State, Sunday 11/16, 1pm

+5
Geezaldinho
ShipstadPilot11
Stonehouse
DoubleDipper
PilotNut
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pilots @ San Jose State, Sunday 11/16, 1pm - Page 2 Empty Re: Pilots @ San Jose State, Sunday 11/16, 1pm

Post by PilotNut Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:14 pm

I love the shot looking down the bench after Voldy tied the game at the end of regulation; that is a perspective that you just don't get any other way. I would love more of that type of footage, too, please!! And the huddle in the locker room... awesome!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Pilots @ San Jose State, Sunday 11/16, 1pm - Page 2 Empty Re: Pilots @ San Jose State, Sunday 11/16, 1pm

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:38 pm

As a dedicated fan, I really appreciate the commitment to better video coverage, social media presence, etc. HOWEVER, these improvement have thus far done nothing to attract new fans. They just make our experience (as existing fans) more enjoyable.

I'm not saying that the athletic department shouldn't be doing all of the video/social media stuff... But I am perplexed as to why there is not a similar effort (and dedication of resources, staff, etc.) to attract new fans.

We've all previously brainstormed simple, low-cost ideas for growing the fan base and getting more folks in the seats at Chiles. I'd much prefer 500 more folks at each game over these videos, and instead of someone sending out tweets for every big play during every game. But of course it's not an either-or situation. If the Pilots can find the resources for those things, why can't they invest time and energy in the kind of grassroots, non-internet-based marketing that would actually bring in more fans?

As long as Chiles is less than 2/5 full for almost every game, recruiting is a huge challenge, and therefore consistently winning is a huge challenge. But hey, at least we'll have nice highlight videos (with vast swaths of empty purple seats in the background).

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:00 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:As long as Chiles is less than 2/5 full for almost every game, recruiting is a huge challenge, and therefore consistently winning is a huge challenge. But hey, at least we'll have nice highlight videos (with vast swaths of empty purple seats in the background).
I thought this level of cynicism was typically reserved for January/February!
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:05 pm

I think the views from SJSU show that it is not just a UP problem. Watching other games this weekend, there were a LOT of empty seats--even at top 25 programs. I, too, wish there were more butts in seats... and if you have ideas on how to do that, I am sure there are listening ears on the Bluff! I see one thing curing the issue: consistently winning games. While we had a couple big wins at home last year, we also had some horrible losses. Consistently winning will cure most ills...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:22 pm

It looked like there was only 300-400 people in that building today.

Was also surprised/happy to see Aitor out there for a couple of brief shifts late in the game. Was even used with under two to go as a defensive sub with Alec at four fouls. Nice that he got a chance to play a role in the outcome after seeing so little playing time last year.

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:58 am

Game summary from the Spartan website below. Some ability to gauge will be available after their game with Pepperdine on Wednesday. Let’s not forget that San Jose State is a member of the Mountain West, which has some very competitive basketball teams.

An early four-point lead in overtime for San José State was erased by a scoring drought that lasted over four minutes, and the Spartans fell to the University of Portland, 73-68, in the Event Center on Sunday.
Jordan Baker and Frank Rogers made an immediate impact for the Spartans in their first competition after sitting out all of last season. Baker led SJSU with 17 points and four assists while Rogers put in 16 points.
Rogers hauled in a big offensive rebound and converted a three-point play to give the Spartans a 62-60 lead with 47 seconds left in regulation. Volodymyr Gerun for Portland answered with a jumper that sent the game to overtime tied 62-62.
Portland scored their final six points in overtime at the free throw line and finished the game 20-for-27.
"We just didn't make enough plays down the stretch, and they did," said San José State head coach Dave Wojcik. "I credit their team. They have seniors who have been through the wars and have made shots down the stretch. They made more than us today."
San José State led Portland by as many as 13 in the second half. But the offense went stagnant following Baker's fourth foul with 12:18 remaining.
"It was tough," Baker said. "I knew the team needed me out there, but I just tried to give my teammates support from the bench. I was nervous, but it felt good to be back out on the floor with my brothers."
Portland went on a 10-2 run over the next 6:29, led by senior point guard Kevin Bailey who finished with 22 points. Alec Wintering's layup with 2:32 left gave Portland its first lead since early in the first half. Wintering finished with a game-high 24 points.
Jalen James finished with 13 points and Darryl Gaynor II added 12. Jaleel Williams led the Spartans with 10 rebounds.
"Little things like hitting our free throws came back to bite us," James said. "It's tough and it hurts."
San José State missed 10 free throws in the contest, and committed 12 second-half turnovers.
The men's basketball team is back on the court Wednesday, November 19 at 7:00 p.m. versus Pepperdine in The Event Center.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:40 am

As great as Wintering and Bailey were yesterday, big kudos to Barker and Gerun for scoring those last two buckets and getting us into OT.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:18 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:I'm not saying that the athletic department shouldn't be doing all of the video/social media stuff... But I am perplexed as to why there is not a similar effort (and dedication of resources, staff, etc.) to attract new fans.

I'd much prefer 500 more folks at each game over these videos, and instead of someone sending out tweets for every big play during every game. But of course it's not an either-or situation. If the Pilots can find the resources for those things, why can't they invest time and energy in the kind of grassroots, non-internet-based marketing that would actually bring in more fans?

I think you might be surprised to know how much effort does go into trying to attract new fans. Stop by the Chiles Center during business hours some time - plenty of people would be happy to talk about the different things they do.

Regarding the video and social media work... that stuff reaches the most likely people to actually come to a game at the Chiles Center - UP students, alumni, and parents.

Yes, it's important to get non-UP people to games, but think about it this way - if just a few percentage points more alumni bothered to come, attendance issues wouldn't be a problem.

If you had limited resources, what would you put more effort into - putting out a sign on Willamette Blvd. on game days with the hope that a neighborhood person will drive by, pull in, and come to the game, or sending out a targeted postcard, email, or social media blast to alumni? Definitely more ROI on the latter.

Not saying more can't and shouldn't be done. There's always room to improve.

But in truth, UP holds its own pretty well compared to the rest of the WCC, especially when you consider most of the WCC schools have twice as many (if not more!) alumni, students, and parents as UP does. Last year, we ranked 7th out of 10 in total home attendance. The previous years, it was 5th and 6th. Our last winning season in 2010-11, we were 3rd overall.

Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:41 pm

Stonehouse wrote:
I think you might be surprised to know how much effort does go into trying to attract new fans. Stop by the Chiles Center during business hours some time - plenty of people would be happy to talk about the different things they do.

Regarding the video and social media work... that stuff reaches the most likely people to actually come to a game at the Chiles Center - UP students, alumni, and parents.

Yes, it's important to get non-UP people to games, but think about it this way - if just a few percentage points more alumni bothered to come, attendance issues wouldn't be a problem.

If you had limited resources, what would you put more effort into - putting out a sign on Willamette Blvd. on game days with the hope that a neighborhood person will drive by, pull in, and come to the game, or sending out a targeted postcard, email, or social media blast to alumni? Definitely more ROI on the latter.

Not saying more can't and shouldn't be done. There's always room to improve.

But in truth, UP holds its own pretty well compared to the rest of the WCC, especially when you consider most of the WCC schools have twice as many (if not more!) alumni, students, and parents as UP does. Last year, we ranked 7th out of 10 in total home attendance. The previous years, it was 5th and 6th. Our last winning season in 2010-11, we were 3rd overall.

Where to spend a limited marketing budget is a really tough call. I don't profess to know anything about it, so I won't.

I also have no idea what goes into making videos (except what little I learn while I distract Stoney from doing his job on game days Evil or Very Mad ), but I do love the recent product. I also think it makes a big difference for fans, alumni and recruits.

One thing that would be really nice to see, is full game replays for all games. I see that we have our home game with Concordia, but what about road games? I know it's tough with bandwidth/copyright issues, but it would be nice.

blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:25 pm

blacksheep wrote:Where to spend a limited marketing budget is a really tough call.  I don't profess to know anything about it, so I won't.

I also have no idea what goes into making videos (except what little I learn while I distract Stoney from doing his job on game days Evil or Very Mad ), but I do love the recent product.  I also think it makes a big difference for fans, alumni and recruits.

One thing that would be really nice to see, is full game replays for all games.  I see that we have our home game with Concordia, but what about road games?  I know it's tough with bandwidth/copyright issues, but it would be nice.
One day you're inciting brawls, the next you're playing diplomat...
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2