Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GU

3 posters

Go down

GU Empty GU

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Never like losing to Gonzaga in any sport....but this year's GU Men's Soccer team is surprising their opponents and the "experts."

Picked to finish last by the WCC coaches (what do they know?), GU ran its record to 2-0-3 in WCC and 7-2-4 overall after beating the Pilots this afternoon 1-0 in Spokane.

The game appeared to be headed for overtime, but with just 4 minutes left in regulation a nice cross and a sliding shot by GU was all that was needed.

The Pilots, who had only three shots on goal, are 7-6-0 overall and 2-3-0 in the WCC and now head to Santa Clara for a match on Sunday.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

GU Empty Re: GU

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:19 am

The Pilots have a chance TONIGHT at Merlo Field to avenge their 0-1 loss in Spokane two weeks ago.  

Game time is 6:00 pm.

Good article in the Oregonian this morning from our friend Nick Daschel about freshman Eddie Sanchez who has 12 goals and 3 assists in 12 games so far this season.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2013/10/portland_pilots_have_the_natio.html
GU Eddie10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:31 am

If you haven't seen Eddie play this year it will be worth you while to come out and see the men play.

The chances are pretty good you will see something special.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:43 pm

I'd be there but for U10 soccer coaching. Hopefully I can catch some of the game on line.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:50 pm

Gonzaga completed its season sweep tonight over the Pilots, 2-1

I told you there was a good chance you would see something special, and if you watched, you did.

That was a referee signaling advantage when a Pilot moving away from goal was flattened in the box and allowing play to continue. This brings up the question of what can be more of an advantage during the run of play than a PK?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:07 am

Geezaldinho wrote:Gonzaga completed its season sweep tonight over the Pilots, 2-1

I told you there was a good chance you would see something special, and if you watched, you did.

That was a referee signaling advantage when a Pilot moving away from goal was flattened  in the box and allowing play to continue. This brings up the question of what can be more of an advantage during the run of play than a PK?
Mrs. DD, who understands soccer and the rules a lot more than I do, asked the same thing...."what was the ref thinking....why was no penalty kick given?"

All I could answer was, "because it's Gonzaga."  But that's probably not true in soccer like it is in basketball. Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum