Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Licensed Apparel

+2
DoubleDipper
PilotNut
6 posters

Go down

Licensed Apparel Empty Licensed Apparel

Post by Guest Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Couldn't help but notice that they sell official Nike UP basketball jerseys in the bookstore now. I only saw the purple away jersey with a No. 1 on it from the window. Still cool.

Back to top Go down

Licensed Apparel Empty Re: Licensed Apparel

Post by PilotNut Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:54 pm

Excellent... IMO, there has not been enough Nike apparel in the bookstore previously!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:17 pm

An_Undergrad wrote:Couldn't help but notice that they sell official Nike UP basketball jerseys in the bookstore now. I only saw the purple away jersey with a No. 1 on it from the window. Still cool.
I think you'll find a number of us are just fine with our current uniforms, but I'll admit with the advent of color and the upgrade to Purple, there is an added appeal.  
Licensed Apparel Old_sc10
Come to think of it, the "P" on our uniforms might have been Purple.....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:56 pm

I used to have some of those fisheads. The Army Airforce ordered them with black soles in WWII.

My dad scored a case of them at a surplus store.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:30 pm

PilotNut wrote:Excellent...  IMO, there has not been enough Nike apparel in the bookstore previously!
I like this. Every year they get a little better about stocking the same styles of gear the likes of Oregon and Oregon State have. Now if I could only get one of those cool purple shirts with the white sash the men's soccer team was wearing last weekend...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:35 am

Who needs nike gear when you can get a Jansport sweatshirt. Thats what the kids really like these days.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:25 am

DaTruRochin wrote:Who needs nike gear when you can get a Jansport sweatshirt. Thats what the kids really like these days.
Hahaha.....dying of laughing over here!
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:20 am

DaTruRochin wrote:Who needs nike gear when you can get a Jansport sweatshirt. Thats what the kids really like these days.
I know!  And, how many times did the merchadise stand at Chiles Center have exactly zero Nike options?  Well, just about every time, or the only option was a single generic t-shirt.  Mad 

It i$ di$appointing that the Athletic Department ha$n't figured thi$ out.... I know that the bookstore ultimately sells this stuff, but there seems to be no communication between the 2 entities, or apathy from Athletics to do anything about it. The "new" Nike logo hasnt moved the needle, either.  And, what about replica soccer jerseys?!  My goodness, haven't they noticed how fans buy these like crazy?!!  They tried once a couple years ago, but went totally short-sighted with cheap, non-authentic versions.  Get true replica jerseys!!   Sheesh....!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:42 am

I can guarantee that a disconnect between what a campus bookstore actually sells and what the school's athletics department WANTS them to sell is not unique to the University of Portland.

Many schools have an agreement where the bookstore assumes all risk for selling merchandise, and as such they'll simply offer what they believe to be the most attractive option financially - at the expense, sometimes, of quality. In this situation, it's essentially a free cheque for the athletics department with no need to provide resources (financial or otherwise). These arrangements are why you might see clothing made by Jansport or Russell available at a school which has an athletic department supplied by Nike or Adidas.

Not saying this is what happens at UP, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar.

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 am

Just switched over to Under Armour in my neck of the woods. I won't miss the cheap Champion and Russell gear!
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:15 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:I can guarantee that a disconnect between what a campus bookstore actually sells and what the school's athletics department WANTS them to sell is not unique to the University of Portland.

Many schools have an agreement where the bookstore assumes all risk for selling merchandise, and as such they'll simply offer what they believe to be the most attractive option financially - at the expense, sometimes, of quality. In this situation, it's essentially a free cheque for the athletics department with no need to provide resources (financial or otherwise). These arrangements are why you might see clothing made by Jansport or Russell available at a school which has an athletic department supplied by Nike or Adidas.

Not saying this is what happens at UP, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar.
at one time the Athletic department controlled what went in which sales outlet. Dont know if that is still true.

But i talked to a manager once who said they couldn't get the stuff they wanted.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Geez, I think you are honing in on the problem... each side seems to indficate that the other is the issue. Do we have any trained mediators here?!

And, Deaner, I am certain that the Bookstore is understandably hesitant to invest heavily on pricier/nicer products that may or may not sell.... its the chicken and the egg scenario. There isn't a lot of options because things don't always sell. But... things don't always sell, because there aren't options.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:48 am

I note from the Pilots Bookstore Facebook page they are now featuring a special “Item of the Week” each Monday and will continue to feature a new item every Monday throughout the year.

This week’s item is a Portland Pilots baseball cap .....(last week it was UP soccer balls)....that can be purchased this week for 25% off the original price. For more information call the Pilots Bookstore at (503) 943-7125.

https://www.facebook.com/UPbookstore

Licensed Apparel Cap_210
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:10 am

Cool hat! "Liked" for sure. I know that the bookstore stuff isn't always the nicest. But from what I can tell, things have improved dramatically since I was last on campus almost a decade ago. Slow progress maybe, but moving in the right direction.
I hope the enhanced online presence helps expand their market and free them from some of the issues that Dean mentioned.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:23 am

So, last week the bookstore offered the "cool" hat....but this week's special is, well, an upgrade from the water buckets we used to have, but I'm not sure what all it does besides hold your favorite beverage:
Licensed Apparel Camelb11
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:49 am

Prevents Pliny spillage.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:37 pm

It's designed for hiking, "hydration on the go", an activity I am sure you try to avoid. It could be clipped with a carabiner to your golf cart.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:27 pm

pilotram wrote:Prevents Pliny spillage.
I use this model for Pliny the Youngest

Licensed Apparel 38e2c68bbd3196bb7c94dedde7d29743
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:21 am

OK, we're finally back to something practical and stylish for this week's UP Bookstore special:

Licensed Apparel Scarf10
Just tell the sales person you saw it on the store's Facebook page to receive a 25% discount.....I'm picking one up later today.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:53 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Just tell the sales person you saw it on the store's Facebook page to receive a 25% discount.....I'm picking one up later today.
The scarf cost $18.73 after the 25% discount.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:54 pm

I forgive the bookstore for everything bad I said of them.
Licensed Apparel LARGEIMAGE_754274
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum