Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Letter of Indenture?

3 posters

Go down

Letter of Indenture? Empty Letter of Indenture?

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:44 am

Should the LOI be called a National Letter of Indenture instead of a National Letter of Intent??

National Letter of Indenture: Why College Athletes are Similar to Indentured Servants of Colonial Times …… an interesting read from Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitner/2012/07/25/national-letter-of-indenture-why-college-athletes-are-similar-to-indentured-servants-of-colonial-times/
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11095
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Letter of Indenture? Empty Re: Letter of Indenture?

Post by blacksheep Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:28 am

Employees sign non-competition agreement all the time. You can't quit and go work for the competitor without sitting out a year (or sometimes more). It's not indentured servitude, you are free to leave at any time and pay for college like everyone else.

I'm sick of this poor college athlete BS. UP is full of students who graduate with $100,000 of debt. You GET to play a sport in exchange for free tuition and room and board. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. The fact that some people don't take advantage of that isn't the system's fault, it's the athletes fault.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:04 pm

Ha-ha, when I came across the NLOI article this morning, I immediately thought of your wishy-washy feelings on the subject, blacksheep.

I just love pitching to your wheelhouse......tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:24 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Ha-ha, when I came across the NLOI article this morning, I immediately thought of your wishy-washy feelings on the subject, blacksheep.

I just love pitching to your wheelhouse......tongue
Good, I was worried my feeling weren't made clear lol! 
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:50 pm

blacksheep wrote:Employees sign non-competition agreement all the time.  You can't quit and go work for the competitor without sitting out a year (or sometimes more).  It's not indentured servitude, you are free to leave at any time and pay for college like everyone else.

I'm sick of this poor college athlete BS.  UP is full of students who graduate with $100,000 of debt.  You GET to play a sport in exchange for free tuition and room and board.  Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.  The fact that some people don't take advantage of that isn't the system's fault, it's the athletes fault.  
Yeah, but how many non-comps are actually enforced?  That having been said, bravo for saying that college athletes are getting a pretty good deal, even if most, i.e. those in non-revenue generating sports, are paying at least some tuition.  To continue the employer/employee analogy, it's like if you make a technical breakthrough for your company that increases profit; it's not your method/technique/invention and it's not your profit, it's theirs.  Might not seem fair after the fact, but they were paying you beforehand, too.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:52 am

Hmm, didn't know homeless walk-ons was not allowed to accept a bed to sleep in.....it's a good thing the NCAA is keeping the playing field level for everyone.  Pull Hair

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2376972-silas-nacita-baylor-rb-speaks-on-being-ruled-ineligible-by-ncaa
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down