Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USF Notes

+6
Sound Voltex
PurplePrideTrumpet
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
DaTruRochin
DoubleDipper
10 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

USF Notes - Page 4 Empty Re: USF Notes

Post by Stonehouse Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:28 am

A familiar face is returning to the WCC as USF's next AD... welcome back Larry Williams!

https://usfdons.com/news/2022/8/31/general-larry-williams-named-new-usf-director-of-athletics.aspx
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:38 pm

Stefan Todorovic has entered the portal.  Spent 2 years at SMU, then played in 22 games for USF.  6'8" F from Serbia.

Last edited by up7587 on Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected height)

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1353
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:52 pm

up7587 wrote:Stefan Todorovic has entered the portal.  Spent 2 years at SMU, then played in 22 games for USF.  6'" F from Serbia.
Anytime we see a Serbian in the portal it piques our interest because of the Serbian connection the Pilots have.

However, I am guessing that Coach Legans will not be going after any more players with just one year to play after getting burned by that this past season.  On the other hand, if Legs and Todorovic have known each other from the recruiting wars, you never know.

Todorovic was always a guy off the bench for the Dons and was not considered an impact player, and may have been told, "you're graduating, time to move on in life," but the Dons' bench was long, and the starters were good!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:57 pm

6-8/225 junior forward Jonathon Mogbo has declared for the NBA draft, but says he will return to the Hilltop if he does not get picked up by an NBA team.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:44 am

As many will recall, when Larry Williams was the AD at UP, he eliminated golf, now the AD at USF, he just announced the elimination of tennis as a cost cutting measure there.

https://usfdons.com/news/2024/4/5/mens-tennis-san-francisco-athletics-to-discontinue-mens-and-womens-division-i-tennis-programs.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:48 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:As many will recall, when Larry Williams was the AD at UP, he eliminated golf, now the AD at USF, he just announced the elimination of tennis as a cost cutting measure there.

https://usfdons.com/news/2024/4/5/mens-tennis-san-francisco-athletics-to-discontinue-mens-and-womens-division-i-tennis-programs.aspx

Fun fact: the Dons won the 1949 National Championship in men's tennis.

Actually, their most successful sport is arguably not men's basketball but men's soccer with four national championships.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:28 am

@VerbalCommits wrote:San Francisco G Justin Bieker has entered the transfer portal. Grad transfer.

Bieker has played four years at USF, averaging 5.7 mpg and 1.0 ppg. He was WCC All-Academic, and came from Jesuit HS locally.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:33 pm

Mike Sharavjamts transferred from Dayton (1 year) to USF and started every game this past season. 6'8" 180# G. Avg'd 25 mpg, good shooter (42% FG, 82% FT), 7.7 ppg. He's in the portal looking for his 3rd school in 3 years.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:47 pm

up7587 wrote:Mike Sharavjamts transferred from Dayton (1 year) to USF and started every game this past season.  6'8" 180# G.  Avg'd 25 mpg, good shooter (42% FG, 82% FT), 7.7 ppg.  He's in the portal looking for his 3rd school in 3 years.
As the first, and so far only, Mongolian to play D1 basketball, Sharavjamts has quite a following wherever he plays.

I attempted to speak with him in the Chiles Center this season and it was the coldest reception I have ever gotten from an opposing player.  I chalked it up to a translation problem.  Razz

I think the young man has got a lot of game; I wish him well...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:24 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:As the first, and so far only, Mongolian to play D1 basketball, Sharavjamts has quite a following wherever he plays.
USF Notes - Page 4 Scree170

A sign of the times, I guess, as it would appear Sharavjamts has signed with Rize Management and his being shopped around to the highest bidder, including USF.

I do not know this for a fact, but I am guessing a similar situation is happening with Jaunse.  His "advisor" is telling him he can "do better elsewhere."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:42 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:A sign of the times, I guess, as it would appear Sharavjamts has signed with Rize Management and his being shopped around to the highest bidder, including USF.

I do not know this for a fact, but I am guessing a similar situation is happening with Jaunse.  His "advisor" is telling him he can "do better elsewhere."

Check out Damien Martinez, the excellent football running back at Oregon State.  He was getting $400,000 a year, paid quarterly.  After repeatedly saying he was staying at OSU, he got an agent and now says he's going in the portal.  

John Canzano wrote:The whole thing gets me thinking about the involvement of agents and this new-world mindset of college athletes. The combination of the transfer portal and NIL has created a ‘wild west’ atmosphere in college athletics. A band of fresh characters has entered the stage, and they’re now negotiating on behalf of athletes.

Said Bjornstad: “Right now, we have third parties and agents involved. There are some really good ones out there who have kids’ interests at heart and there are instances where people are popping up out of nowhere and see opportunity and it’s not for the betterment of the athlete.”

Full story is worth reading: https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-damien-martinez-drama-is

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:18 pm

Here's a good one for you...follow the timeline.

After decommitting from Iowa to enroll at Alabama and start every game of the 2023 season at left tackle, Kayden Proctor comes back to Iowa with the incentive of $$$$$$.  Two months after getting his money from Iowa (but reportedly not from the collective) he heads back to Alabama with his money in hand.  

https://brobible.com/sports/article/kadyn-proctor-iowa-nil-money-transfer-alabama/
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:50 pm

Good luck ever going back to his home state of Iowa and getting a job.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:26 pm

up7587 wrote:Good luck ever going back to his home state of Iowa and getting a job.

Meh, I’m sure the sponsoring business has a place for him after graduation.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:55 am

@DushawnLondon1 wrote:News: Vanderbilt transfer Jason Rivera-Torres has committed to San Francisco he tells @247SportsPortal

“Next year I'm going to be one of the top wings in the nation.”

Played one year at Vanderbilt. 6'6" from the Bronx. Played 15 min/game, avg'd 6.4 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 24% from 3P, 76% on FTs.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4