Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NCAA 3rd Round vs Tennessee - 11/24

+19
ohhh_yeah
rsxsgurl
VillaGorilla
harryb
mattywizz
Rochin54
Stonehouse
Geezaldinho
A_Fan
GUPhantom
pms275
wrv
KFTC
fozziewozzie
PurplePrideTrumpet
stryker29
PilotDrummer
thepuck
ninjapizza
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

NCAA 3rd Round vs Tennessee - 11/24 - Page 2 Empty Regal Stadium

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:57 pm

Wow!

Take a look at the Facility that the Vols play in-- first class.

http://www.utladyvols.com/facilities/page.aspx?id=9888
http://www.utladyvols.com/uploadedFiles/Sports/Soccer/Generic/125-128%20Regal.pdf

you are paying for it every time you watch a picture at Regal Cinemas
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

NCAA 3rd Round vs Tennessee - 11/24 - Page 2 Empty Re: NCAA 3rd Round vs Tennessee - 11/24

Post by fozziewozzie Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:41 pm

what impressed me most about the vol's keeper, not taking anything away from kelsey's great saves, was that a couple of them were kick saves. how often do you see that in a game let alone a season. but i think the most impressive save she made was in the second half. elli in the box, johnson coming out to challenge her an elli hits a little chip shot over her head. not only did johnson have to stop on a dime an try to backtrack, but she got a hand on it an was more amazingly able to redirect it over the cross bar. mind you, shes listed as 5'8" [really?] an eyeballing her is lucky if she weighs 130 lbs. that was the save that impressed me the most. it's her athletism that makes her the keeper she is.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

NCAA 3rd Round vs Tennessee - 11/24 - Page 2 Empty Re: NCAA 3rd Round vs Tennessee - 11/24

Post by harryb Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:03 pm

The UT keeper was very good, but the save that impressed me the most was Kelsey's save on the header shot off the corner kick. Those are the toughest things to stop.
harryb
harryb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjapizza Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:33 pm

Interesting:

http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/w-soccer/sched/usc-w-soccer-sched.html

It seems as if USC, the higher seed, is being sent to West Virginia for the quarterfinal. I doubt that the NCAA would ship out a #1 seed (UCLA) to a #2 (Portland), but they did this, so why the heck not, really?
ninjapizza
ninjapizza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 233

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:30 pm

Really?

I read on the USC site last night that they were going to play in Trojan Stadium.

I remember thinking it would be a bad idea because they would just rattle around in there.

I'l bet they have the place booked and can't play at USC.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by thepuck Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:32 pm

I would imagine that USC would at least try and find a place if they couldn't play in Trojan Stadium. I would imagine they have a spare field somewhere.

But who knows.
thepuck
thepuck
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2007-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:02 pm

I forget the exact rules, but the game has to be at a stadium that has been used in normal competition and meets the requirements for tournament play.

Venues need to be submitted by a certain date (like in October) and need to be approved by the NCAA.

UP couldn't just decide to have he games at PGE Park or the Nike complex, for example. USC just couln't designate a spare field unless they have previously played there during the season.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:02 pm

I believe that in order to host a tournament match, it must be held at a facility at which you have played a majority of your home contests. Same reason we can't have a playoff game at PGE Park (not that we would want to play on carpet). Not sure where I got this, but something's rattling around in my memory to that effect.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by rsxsgurl Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:17 pm

When I went down to the game at USC, they have two soccer fields they play at, one was an intermural field and the other their soccer "stadium" which isnt a whole lot. The people at the gates had no idea which field the game was being played at. It ended up being at the "stadium" which seats less than UW, its bleachers up one side of the field, like 5 or 6 rows high. They played their 3rd round game Saturday night at the Coliseum which they hadn't played a soccer game at since September of 2001.

rsxsgurl
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2007-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:32 pm

the purple tree on the route to UofP...

NCAA 3rd Round vs Tennessee - 11/24 - Page 2 2064059239_cc8997d235

the UofP crowd making some noise...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xI20U-1WNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap_FS0nh7-I
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:48 pm

I checked out the West Virginia website, as well as USC's, and it appears this report is correct.

Here is what the Division I Women's Soccer Championship Handbook says:

"To assist the committees in selecting sites, an evaluation will be made of institutional facilities to determine if they are acceptable for championship play.

"....

"In addition to the quality and availability of facilities, the Division I Women's Soccer Committee applies the selection criteria [I think this means the RPI and other selection criteria for who will get to participate in the tournament] to assist in determining the host sites. Institutions who desire to host one or more rounds of the championship (except semifinals and final) must complete the budget packet (online) by October 12.

"Neutral sites (i.e. off-campus sites or facilities not used during the regular season) are not permitted unless approved in advance by the Women's Soccer Committee.

"The Division I Women's Soccer Committee prefers for games to be played on grass fields 70 yards x 115 yards and larger, but will not preclude artificial turn (if approved by FIFA) in the event of inclement weather."

I agree with rsxsgurl's comments about USC's regular field. And, apart from it's limited seating, its restroom facilites are dismal. Plus, the field has no lights, so no night game. They played this weekend's game at the LA Coliseum, so they must have gotten special permission to do that per the Championship Handbook. USC is playing football against UCLA on Saturday at the Coliseum, which I assume means that they could not use the Coliseum for soccer on Friday or on Saturday. Plus, they would have to reline the field for a game on Sunday.

In addition, one of the Pilots' parents told me that the regular USC soccer field is relatively small, which I assume means significantly smaller than the 70 yards x 115 yards the NCAA prefers for the tournament. (This perhaps explains some of why the Pilots struggled when playing on their field. Small fields are not good for our style of play.) So, the NCAA may have rejected the USC regular field as not satisfactory.

Given all those considerations, I'm guessing that either (1) USC conceded it couldn't host the game or (2) the Women's Soccer Committee decided that, after evaluating the siting criteria, USC couldn't provide a satisfactory facility and awarded the game to West Virginia.

I've reviewed all the rules related to third round and quarter-finals site selection (which involve more details than what's in the Handbook), and I think that under the rules the Committee appears to have made the correct decision. I also think, however, that under the rules, the Florida State/Connecticut game should be played at Connecticut and it is arguable the Pilots/UCLA game should be played here. I doubt very much, however, that the Committee will make those decisions.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:41 pm

Articles and blogs keep popping up about the Tennessee game. Here's a couple that showed up on my screen.
http://ideawhiplash.blogspot.com/2007/11/oregon-finest-college-athletic-program.html

The following link seems to expand Angela Kelly's quote on the Dynamic offense of the Pilots to include any team she has EVER seen - including her time at UNC.
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2007/nov/25/saving-grace-johnson-wasnt-enough-lady-vols/
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

NCAA 3rd Round vs Tennessee - 11/24 - Page 2 Empty Video

Post by PilotNut Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:43 am

Does anyone have a video of the game? I was out of the country, but would love to see it. I will make arrangements to mail, pick up, etc... Thanks!

There is a 30-second video out on YouTube that demonstrates how much the crowd was into the game... I would love to see the whole game!

Anyone have some more highlights of the goals to put out there? I would if I had the video and had any idea how to do it... scratch

Edited to add: Game is being replayed on Comcast SportsNet tonight at 7pm.

Last edited by on Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:54 am

All three goals and replays are up on YouTube already, courtesy KFTC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvlMuxiJg2s

make sure you don't miss Wozzie's over the head flip at the 4:40 mark on the video.

Also, the reason for USC going to West Virginia is clarified on the Florida site, although why the NCAA would allow alternate sites in violation of its own rules is beyond me..

Here's the quote:

USC (17-3-2), a No. 2 seed, will face West Virginia next weekend at a site to be determined. The Coliseum isn’t available — USC faces UCLA in football next Saturday — and nearby Home Depot Center, Southern California’s top soccer facility, is staging high school football semifinals on Friday night. The Women of Troy are looking into playing at Cal State Fullerton, 30 miles southeast of campus.

Apparently that didn't work out--and shouldn't have, according to the rules.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:14 pm

Pilotnut, If I could figure out how to get the video from my DVR to a DVD I would be all over it for ya.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:19 pm

PilotNut, I can burn you a copy of the game if you like. I have it on my computer.
KFTC
KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Back to top Go down

NCAA 3rd Round vs Tennessee - 11/24 - Page 2 Empty Replay

Post by PilotNut Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:10 pm

I just got done watching the replay of the game (my first time seeing it).... and all I can say is WOW. Total dominance. The Pilots played solid offense and defense, and are really on a roll.

Props to the UT goalie... she had some AMAZING stops... kept the game from being 6- or 7- nil.

Props also to the crowd... way to go, everyone... very loud, very raucous. well done.

Watch out, UCLA...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:35 am

wrv - I'm three days late on this response to your Sunday post about the Tennessee match. (Page 1 of this thread). I was going to give my 3 cents on my take of the match earlier until I saw your post. Since you said pretty much exactly what I was thinking, I thought, what the heck, I don't even need to post. I would just be duplicating your post. First time that's happened to me. scratch

So now I'll just recall and freshen up a few of your points since I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for Friday's 7pm launch:

On we had some trouble finishing: Agreed, except that we so dominated their defense, especially in the first half and at the start of the second, that their keeper had to make 12 saves! And we had a grand total of 16 shots on goal out of 28 shots. The Vols, in stark contrast, got off only 8 shots against our mostly suffocating defense, putting 3 shots on frame, all saves by Kelsey.

(I thought two of Kelsey's saves were outstanding, particularly the header off the corner kick, which looked like a world-class save to me. By the way, give some credit to Goalkeeper Coach Dan Schell on that. Trust me, Kelsey and Hailee may not see the ball too often during games, but Schell works their fannies off every single practice. They must be constantly bruised and sore the way he makes them dive to one side, then the next, over and over again. But it's definitely a great way to always keep the reflexes sharp!) bounce

I totally agree with your take on Enyeart. She most definitely is so dynamic that she can take over a game herself, ala Megan Rapinoe and Christine Sinclair. Some compare her to Shannon MacMillan - high praise, indeed.

I absolutely agree with you that Elli Reed looked better than I've ever seen her. She seems to be turning her vast potential toward greatness. I would hate to play against her - always poking and prodding for the ball. She seems to be passing a bit more and her shot is getting more dangerous. (Getting her legs stronger in the offseason has definitely got to be a top priority for her). For the first time, I could really see her blossoming into a dominant force.

I also agree with you about how well Tsao is playing, and Kelli and Emily were as solid as ever. Also, Wozzie and Steph were excellent, as usual. Sophie looked more comfortable to me playing up front than I can ever remember. Budge had a great game. Keelin her usual strong self. They all just seem to be having great fun playing together with a confidence and flair that is going to spell trouble for ANY team standing in their path to the trophy stand! Exclamation
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Fanatic, I did not read your post until today(sorry bout that) and obviously have not responded. Nonetheless, if you are gracious enough to agree with me then I won't dare disagree with you. Good analysis.

Even as well thought of as they were, the freshmen class may well have been underrated in recruiting circles cause the three mentioned by you have really strengthened this team. Two of them are performing at a higher level than the SoccerBuzz ratings, for instance, might suggest they were capable of. Winters, Reed and Tsao are likely to be a force for their all their years here.

BTW, I enjoyed Winters near goal in the first half. A well struck low line drive that Johnson made a great save on. Let's hope she puts her first in on Friday.

I am cautiously optimistic about our chances on Friday, far more optimistic than I would have thought just two short months ago. It still is no small feat to beat this loaded Bruin team, given everything at stake. No matter the outcome this team has performed admirably and again excited a ready fan base.

Go Pilots!

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:09 pm

FANactic,
i agree w/you about sophie looking more comfortable up top, but i think it's more than that. since the san diego game i believe that she an michelle have developed an uncanny 'chemistry' with one another.
GUPhantic mentioned in the nd/unc thread how unc may get all of the top prospects, but their chemistry leaves a lot to be desired, an thus that is why they have not dominated in the last five years. michelle an sophie are magical together. when they are not on the pitch at the same time, you can see the flow & fluidity of the game slow down.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

NCAA 3rd Round vs Tennessee - 11/24 - Page 2 Empty Sophie and Michelle

Post by FANatic Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:43 am

Agreed, fozzie. I just meant that since the Pilots play soccer as if they all had just had 10 cups of coffee, that regardless of how talented Sophie is and no matter how productive she is, that it just takes some time for her to really look fluid and at ease playing basically a position that is at the other end of the pitch than she normally plays at. Also, very different things are expected of her up front than in the back.

That said, you have put into words for me something that I have been watching but couldn't quite put my finger on. And that is, yes, you are right on! They do create magic together. It's as if two supremely gifted players have finally reached nirvana together, and they know it, their teammates and coaches know it, and opposing teams know it.

Whether those opposing teams can DO SOMETHING about it or not, remains to be seen! Twisted Evil
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2