Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tebow Time

+2
Geezaldinho
blacksheep
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tebow Time Empty Tebow Time

Post by blacksheep Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:59 am

Anyone else here becoming a Tebow fan?

I watched some of the pregame show before the game this weekend and heard all the bashing of this guy. I just don't get it. Every single commentator was ragging on Tebow. What does Tebow do? He goes out and has his best game of the year and wins it with an 80 touchdown throw in OT.

What is it that people don't like? His unconventional style? His religion?

Don't get me wrong, I know he's not the second coming of Elway, but I kinda like the guy.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Tebow Time Empty Re: Tebow Time

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:39 am

Anybody Santorum wants to emulate is suspect in my book.

http://www.thefastertimes.com/politics/2012/01/04/santorum-channels-tebow-in-iowa/
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:29 pm

My 2 Cents I don't wish to start a controversy within PN, but I agree with both of you!!

And, there is no need to comment further, as Santorum's words speak for him, while Tebow's actions speak for him.

I'm just happy my USF cheer girl got 44 looks from PN hardcore in this section (maybe some of you looked more than once?), but disappointed she got no replies. Voyeurs!!! Twisted Evil
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:26 pm

Just for you DD!

Tebow Time Tebow-10
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:35 pm

Nicer looking than Santorum, anyway.....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:13 pm

blacksheep wrote:Just for you DD!
Well, I do seriously appreciate the pic, but I have to admit, the whole Tebowing thing is just a little overdone. However, having said that, here's the real deal in Afghanistan:

Tebow Time The_re11
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:35 pm

I was excited when Denver drafted Tebow. I bought a Tebow shirt. I thought that his intangibles and his attitude were quality attributes, and that he was a winner. And I still believe that! I have been disappointed with his development as a passer though. IMHO, it's been shown that a run-first QB can only have moderate success in the league. The guy's throwing motion is super ugly, and he will miss wide open receivers. He buys himself a lot of time by scrambling, and sometimes still can't find an open receiver. If Rodgers had that much time, he'd make a completion every time. You can tell it just grinds Elway's gears that Tebow is such an erratic passer. That said, when he is on, he's quite dangerous. I haven't given up on Tebow yet. He just needs to learn to throw.

I think critics were justified in bashing him going into the Steelers game. They had lost three in a row to barely win the division at 8-8, and Tebow had looked like crap for a month. Four picks vs. Buffalo, then losing to KC 7-3? Ouch. BTW, Praeter deserves much more respect, as he was the one who actually won the game vs. the Chicago Hanies. Not Tebow.

I know someone who I would call an evangelical atheist that hates Tebow because of his beliefs. I also know an evangelical person who didn't care about the Broncos until Tebow got the starting gig, and probably hadn't watched an NFL game since Kurt Warner played in the Super Bowl. His family's broadcast sports viewing habits revolve around the religion of the QB, funny.

So to answer the question, some people do hate him because of his religion. But I suspect that his wild popularity, which was evident long before he was the starter, was also because of his religion. (BTW, where is the love for Aaron Rodgers, who also identifies as a Christian? Does it not count unless you're in everyone's face about it?)
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:41 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
blacksheep wrote:Just for you DD!
Well, I do seriously appreciate the pic, but I have to admit, the whole Tebowing thing is just a little overdone. However, having said that, here's the real deal in Afghanistan:

Tebow Time The_re11
Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:28 pm

From The Columbian "Talking Points" this morning:
Tim Tebow.

There. At least you know what the subject is. And everyone who read those opening two words will either finish this entire Talking Point, or quit before even getting to this sentence.

We are familiar with polarizing athletes — Kobe Bryant and LeBron James to name a couple.

But those two split people with their personalities more so than their very existence.

Tebow has never done anything wrong. He’s never tooted his own horn. He gives credits to his teammates and has yet to say “I told you so,” despite myriad opportunities.

And yet, people vehemently rooted against him Sunday even (though) his opponent’s quarterback had been tied to sexual assault cases.

There have been Mark Fydriches, Hideo Nomos and Fernando Valenzuelas, but the sports world has yet to see a phenomenon like Tim Tebow that doesn’t hinge on sheer dominance (e.g. Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, etc).

And we might never see it reach heights like we did Sunday.

Why not root for it to keep going?

We have many with a command of the English language who could have written this MORE BETTER, but you get the idea! Neutral
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:21 pm

"Tebow has never done anything wrong?" I guess they didn't watch many games this year. What a fawning piece of carp.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:45 pm

pilotram wrote:"Tebow has never done anything wrong?" I guess they didn't watch many games this year. What a fawning piece of carp.
I believe he meant in the Ben Rothlisberger, Kobe Bryant, Plaxico Burris, legal sense, not on the field.

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:26 am

Tim Tebow is America's favorite Athlete:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7451061/espn-sports-poll-denver-broncos-tim-tebow-us-favorite-active-pro-athlete

My guess is that he would also be high up on the least favorite list.

blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:38 am

blacksheep wrote:Tim Tebow is America's favorite Athlete:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7451061/espn-sports-poll-denver-broncos-tim-tebow-us-favorite-active-pro-athlete

My guess is that he would also be high up on the least favorite list.

Funny how the polls and jersey sales all speak to Tebow's popularity, while there is no shortage of people playing the victimhood game on his behalf. One unfunny SNL skit does not a pariah make.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:41 am

While I'm sure there are some people that dislike Tebow because of his unabashed expression of his religious beliefs, I don't think that's the main source of his detractors.

Instead, I think it's the non-stop onslaught of Tebow, Tebow, Tebow from media outlets. Here are all the times "Tebow" was mentioned 88 times on ESPN in just ONE HOUR in December:

http://deadspin.com/5866144/every-tebow-uttered-on-espns-tebowcenter-today

With the 24-hour news cycle and countless blogs and social media and all that, it's just impossible to escape the Tebow thing. And, quite frankly, he hasn't really done anything to merit it. Cam Newton just had a historic rookie season. TJ Yates has stepped in and guided the Texans to a playoff win. Andy Dalton lead the Bengals to a better record and a playoff berth. And all those guys are rookies, something Tebow is not.

And yet, it's only Tebow, Tebow, Tebow we hear about. Just like not too long ago it was only LeBron, LeBron, LeBron, and Favre, Favre, Favre before that. It's tiresome, and I find myself resenting it because I would prefer to determine what storylines I'm interested in myself, not force-fed it by ESPN and the like.

I have nothing against the kid and he played a great game against the Steelers, but the hype is just insuffarable (and, for the most part, unwarranted).
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:35 pm

Agreed Stony. I think ESPN sees Tebow's popularity as demand for more broadcast time in his honor. Same way they always overhype Big10 football. It's just economics.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:38 pm

....and the demand for media that's not so friendly.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/tim-tebow-game-winning-touchdown-illegal-163812959.html

Oh come on, I've never seen an illegal formation called for someone that close to the line.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:53 pm

Stonehouse wrote:I would prefer to determine what storylines I'm interested in myself, not force-fed it by ESPN and the like.

Sportz Make You Stupid

This is why I don't watch ESPN unless a game is on.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:23 pm

What, really, ESPN has other programming besides games that someone would watch?

Seriously, I can't imagine listening to talking-head jocks when I can get all the news I need right here on PN. drunken
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Stonehouse, this is just for you! Tim Tebow's Fire

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:55 pm

up7587 wrote:Stonehouse, this is just for you! Tim Tebow's Fire Rolling Eyes
Holy Crap; that's just plain bad! And I don't think the blowout loss in Foxboro this weekend will end it. Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:28 am

Oh I'm a sucker for 80s hits, and damn it, I love St. Elmo's Fire. I think I'm becoming a Tebow convert. Thanks up7587! Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:50 pm

Wow. Just wow.

ESPN just mentioned Tim Tebow 160 times in one hour on today's 11 AM SportsCenter. For 48 minutes of programming (since 12 minutes are commercial breaks), that works out to one "Tebow" every 18 seconds.

http://deadspin.com/5875622/espn-broke-its-own-record-by-making-160-tim-tebow-references-in-one-hour-of-sportscenter-here-are-all-of-them
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:22 pm

Now you can't even get away from it on PilotNation Very Happy

Just wait until the Broncos beat the Patriots on a last minute Tebow touchdown drive Twisted Evil
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:27 pm

How about a little Tebowie.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/jimmy-fallon-merges-tim-tebow-david-bowie-163308764.html

"Please leave me alone! Don't you know my day of rest is Sunday?" Priceless! cheers
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:27 pm

Jeez, I went away for 36 hours and PN feels like a morgue; I guess a blowout loss will to that.

So, a little Tebow humor: tongue

• In the game against the Steelers, Tim didn’t spin, he stood still and the earth revolved around him.
  • Michael Jordan buys Tim Tebow shoes.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next