Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots v Florida State

+12
keeper
eProf
fan from afar
dave97239
gnarly
FSUfan
UPFAN
PilotFan7
A_Fan
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
UPSoccerFanatic
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pilots v Florida State - Page 2 Empty Re: Pilots v Florida State

Post by A_Fan Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:09 pm

If you follow the link to the video, the Memphis page says the game is 5:00 Central time.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by dave97239 Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Game is 3pm Portland Time (5pm Memphis time (CT))

dave97239
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:35 pm

Pilots Travel to Memphis for NCAA Second Round Game against No. 1 Seed Florida State

PORTLAND PILOTS (9-9-2, 4-4-0 WCC)

vs. No. 1 FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES (15-6-1, 5-5-1 ACC)

Date: Friday, Nov. 18, 2011

Kick-off: 3:00 p.m. (Pacific)

Field: Mike Rose Soccer Complex (2,500)

Live Video/Audio/Stats: GoTigersGo.com

POR vs. FSU

Overall Series: 3-1-0

Here: 2-0-0

There: 0-1-0

Neutral: 1-0-0

Last: @UP 2, FSU 1 (Aug. 21, 2011)

THIS WEEK

• The Portland Pilots head to Memphis, Tenn., this week to face the No. 1 seeded and sixth-ranked Florida State Seminoles in an NCAA Second Round game at the Mike Rose Soccer Complex at 3 p.m. (Pacific) on Friday.

• This is the second meeting between UP and FSU this season, with the Pilots defeating the Seminoles 2-1 at Merlo Field on Aug. 21; Danielle Foxhoven scored both the equalizer and game-winner after FSU had taken a 1-nil lead in the 15th minute.

• Free live video and audio of the UP-FSU match will be provided on GoTigersGo.com.

A LOOK BACK

• The Pilots advanced past the Oregon State Beavers in an NCAA First Round game last Friday at Lorenz Field in Corvallis, Ore.; after the teams remained tied 1-1 after 90 minutes of regulation and two 10-minute overtimes, the Pilots prevailed 7-6 on PK’s.

• Amanda Frisbie notched the equalizer for UP in the 69th minute off a nice feed from Ellen Parker, who was able to sneak a pass through the OSU defense.

• Hailee DeYoung made several stellar saves to keep the game at 1-0 after the Beavers had taken the lead with a goal in the 52nd minute.

THE TOURNEY

• UP received an at-large bid to the NCAA Championships and is making its 12th straight post-season appearance; UP has been to the playoffs during 19 of the last 20 years.

• The Pilots won the national championship in 2002 and 2005.

• Portland has advanced to three championship games, eight College Cups (semifinals) and at least the quarterfinals on 15 occasions.

• The UP-FSU winner will face the winner between host Memphis and Louisville, who will face each other on Friday night; the Third Round game is set for Sunday in Memphis.

• Stanford, Wake Forest and Duke are the tournament’s other three No. 1 seeds.

• Four teams from the West Coast Conference reached the tourney as Pepperdine, San Diego and Santa Clara join the Pilots in the field; Pepperdine and SCU have already been eliminated.

AN INTERESTING YEAR, TO SAY THE LEAST

• It’s been an interesting year as Portland reached the playoffs despite posting the second most losses during a season in program history.

• Before this year, the Pilots had never finished worse than third in the WCC.

• The loss at home to San Diego on Oct. 14 ended a 16-game home winning streak against WCC opponents, and it was the first league home loss for Portland since 2002, a span during which the Pilots went 23-0-2.

• Portland’s loss to BYU on Oct. 6 snapped a 28-match conference unbeaten streak for the Pilots, who had claimed four straight WCC titles and six of the last seven.

WCC HONORS... ON THE FIELD

• Sophomore forward Micaela Capelle, who was one of seven Pilots to garner all-league honors, was named to the 2011 All-West Coast Conference First Team; Capelle tied for the league high in both goals (5) and points (13) during WCC games.

• Senior Danielle Foxhoven made it four straight years with WCC honors, landing on the all-conference second team.

• Senior Michelle Olivier, junior Taylor Brooke and sophomores Kaila Cameli and Cloee Colohan received all-league honorable mention, while Rebekah Kurle landed on the all-freshman Team.

WCC HONORS... OFF THE FIELD

• The Pilots also left their mark on the WCC’s All-Academic Team, with Foxhoven and Capelle both landing on the first team; it’s the third straight year on the all-academic first team for Foxhoven, while it’s the first conference academic honor for Capelle.

• Seniors Hailee DeYoung, Halley Kreminski, Emma Nelson and Michelle Olivier, junior Taylor Brooke and sophomores Sarah Bridges, Cloee Colohan, Michelle Cruz and Ellen Parker each earned all-academic honorable mention.

THE HEADLINER

• Senior Danielle Foxhoven ranks fourth all-time at UP with 57 career goals and she leads the team with eight goals this season.

• In career goals, Foxhoven sits behind only Christine Sinclair (110), Tiffeny Milbrett (103) and Shannon MacMillan (87).

• Foxhoven also ranks third in shots on-goal (141), is fourth in points (139), is sixth in overall shots (245) and goals per game (0.67) is tied for seventh in game-winners (15) and is eighth in points per game (1.64).

• Foxhoven is a finalist for the Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award, is on the MAC Hermann Trophy watch list and is an All-WCC Second Team selection.

WHAT A GAME

• Portland’s 7-4 win over Saint Mary’s on Oct. 16 at Merlo Field was bizarre on several different levels.

• The Gaels scored three goals in the game’s final five minutes, with the final two scores coming just 30 seconds apart.

• SMC’s fourth and final goal was on a penalty kick with just five seconds left.

• UP’s Kaila Cameli scored her first three career goals to become the first Pilot to record a hat trick since Amanda Frisbie accomplished the feat during the first round of last year’s NCAA playoffs.

• Micaela Capelle had three assists, while also scoring a goal; Capelle’s three assists were the most by a WCC player in one game this season.

• The four goals are the most allowed by the Pilots at home since 1992 when North Carolina scored six, and it’s the most goals ever scored on the Pilots during a UP win.

HARPER’S PLAYGROUND

• The Pilots held a season-long silent auction on special warm-up jerseys worn by the team and raised $5,000 for Harper’s Playground.

• A check for that amount was presented to Cody Goldberg of Harper’s Playground during half-time of the game against Gonzaga last Saturday night at Merlo Field.

• Harper’s Playground is a fund-raising effort to bring an inclusive playground to Arbor Lodge Park; Harper is a local six-year-old girl who was born with Emanuel Syndrome. Harper’s Playground hopes to build community by providing the inclusive playground where children and adults of all abilities can play together.

• Each jersey featured a player’s number, and the team wore them before every home game all season long.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:56 am

Some of us are desperate for angles on the game ...

Memphis is in the Central Time Zone. The Pilots have done pretty well in tournament games in the Central Time Zone. They are 6-1-1, where the tie ended up being a PK "win":

• Semifinals North Carolina Dallas, Texas L 1-2
    • Semifinals Penn State Austin, Texas W 2-0
    • Final Santa Clara Austin, Texas W 2-1 (2ot)
    • First Round Iowa State Lincoln, Neb. W 5-0
    • Second Round Nebraska Lincoln, Neb. W 3-2
    • Semifinals Penn State College Station, Texas T 0-0 (4-3 PKs)
    • Final UCLA College Station, Texas W 4-0
    • Third Round Texas Austin, Texas W 2-0
(I had originally put the games at Notre Dame (1-1) in the list until I remembered that they are in the Eastern Time Zone.)

I believe that their opponent was the higher seed in five of the above games.

Anyone for 8-1-1 by the end of the weekend?
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by keeper Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:19 pm

Down 2-0, ~25 minutes left in first half

keeper
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Not much in the way of attack from Portland, though Cameli has had some nice runs and crosses. It's been tough getting the ball from FSU. They're quicker and their passing is better. Tough second half coming up but we can still do this.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ejjqb Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:52 pm

The Pilots are behind but its pretty hard to tell how they are playing with the moronic use of field cameras that prevent you from actually seeing where the ball is or where 90% of the players are. Love the close-ups of one player! And then the computer goes to "loading..." for up to two minutes at a time.

Wonder why Lorielle started. Cost the first goal when she didn't challenge very aggressively. Despite what the announcer has said, the Pilots have had their chances but some puzzling passes have prevented a goal in my view, whatever view was permitted by the broadcast. I think they show they can score on these people and if they come out fired up and pass crisply, they could get back in it. Go Pilots!

ejjqb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:58 pm

I'm trying to keep one eye on the game video while at work. I missed both goals -- wish FSU had too! Cameli has had some dangerous attacks tho nothing has paid off. I was glad that Pilots played FSU at home the first time and the result showed why -- don't think this year's Pilots would have won at FSU. On neutral turf for this game it's a tall order to dig out of the 0-2 hole, so we'll see what the Pilots have left. It's time for a Miracle on Grass!
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Third goal for FSU.

Say what you will about the cameras, this announcer is better than anyone could have anticipated. Downright professional.

Pilots did not come to play. They're getting beat to every ball.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:57 pm

Taylor gets one back just before the end. Not enough.

Thanks to the seniors for some great soccer over their tenure.

The players coming back have to return with a new sense of purpose.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11814
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:10 pm

It was a tough year and I feel bad for the seniors. They have played some marvelous soccer during their tenure.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:47 am

Am I correct that Taylor, Cloee, Michelle and Lorielle started across the back line? In the five+ years I have followed the Pilots, I have never questioned ANY coaching decisions - it's not in my nature, and I am too far from the team to have enough knowledge. However, unless there were injuries or illness or disciplinary matters involved, that was a real head scratcher, especially since Sarah came in later. It seems to me that starting that lineup weakens your team at both central D and outside left D.

The team really seemed flat for the game - maybe nerves?

fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:47 pm

That was the starting D and it was a strange move, but the coaching staff apparently had a reason for going with that lineup. The team did seem flat, for whatever reason. I don't think it was travel as mentioned by the announcer. They flew down on Wednesday.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:55 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
Thanks to the seniors for some great soccer over their tenure.

I took a hiatus from Pilot soccer until 2008, so this year's class was the first I've followed from their freshman to senior years. Kind of hard to believe it's been four years already. It's also the first recruiting class PilotNation talked about. I thought I'd go back in time and see what we (well, one guy, as it turns out) were saying:

Geezaldinho wrote:here's a first hint at what the 2008 recruiting season might look like.

2007 NSCAA All American and youth National team defender Michelle Olivier has UofP listed as one of the 3 schools she's thinking about on her bio at
http://www.soccerincollege.com/athlete.aspx?id=FMO0880101GA

the others are Duke and Wake Forest

She'd be a great addition.

Pilots v Florida State - Page 2 FMO0880101GA

I would say she was a pretty good addition to the defense.

Geezaldinho wrote:
I especially like the quotes from the coach of her high school's rival team:

“Kreminski has the whole package,” said Mat Henbest, head coach at rival Timberline High. “She has good size, and she moves well with the ball. There wasn’t too much you couldn’t ask her to do. She was probably the best player in the air in the whole state this year. She’s a pretty special player.”

lessee..

Whole package
good size
moves well
versatile
Best player in the air in the whole State
special

I'll take that...

Also, scores game winners in big games (UW twice, once in the playoffs, and also A&M and SCU last year).

Geezaldinho wrote:2008 recruit Danielle Foxhoven is on the cover of Rise magazine this Month.
Pilots v Florida State - Page 2 Rise_m10

There's also a nice story about her high school and National team careers and aspirations.

No, I didn't remember that either. Nice picture but I always loved the smile on her face after she scored.

Geezaldinho wrote:
Kassandra McCluskie has been described in the reports as the top SPARQ tester, as a "fierce defender" and she was captain of championship teams since she was a little kid. She's been described as "the reason" her teams would win.

Pretty much. Out of this year's seniors she was probably my favorite. A little sad she was always getting sidelined with injuries but you could tell she was someone the team drew energy and inspiration from.

Geezaldinho wrote:
I don't know if Garrett has plans for Kreminski in the defense, but when I see that she was a track star and basketball guard, and she was considered to be the best kid in the state in the air, I get excited and start wondering if she could be another Winters if we need her there while Keelin's away.
Lord Knows, with our YNT group gone at least part time, that will be important.
It's a little scarey that you were predicting Kreminski at holding mid four years ago.

So long, seniors. Thanks for coming to Portland. The team couldn't have done what it did without you.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:05 pm

Florida State defeated Virginia 3-0 in the quarterfinals, at FSU.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by gnarly Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:01 pm

FSU had reg season losses to us, WF, Duke, UNC, MD, and Vir.

They came back and beat UNC and Vir in the ACC tourney.

They came back and beat us and Vir in the NCAA.

If they get by Stanford, they'll get a chance to avenge either WF or Duke losses.

gnarly
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2