Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Denver Preview

+4
ninjapizza
Geezaldinho
FANatic
Stonehouse
8 posters

Go down

Denver Preview Empty Denver Preview

Post by Stonehouse Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:04 pm

OK... so who are we playing tomorrow? The Denver Pioneers - 12-4-4 overall this season, including a 1-0 win over then #1 Stanford in Boulder earlier this season. So definitely not a team to just totally overlook - we need to come into this game focused and prepared.

Here is their pretty measley preview of the game:

http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=90205&SPID=10863&temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18600&ATCLID=1310935

Here are their results on the year:

https://admin.xosn.com/fls/18600/stats/WomensSoccer/teamstat.htm?SPSID=91542&SPID=10863&DB_OEM_ID=18600

The only common opponent is Pepperdine, and they lost 3-0 to Waves posting only two shots in the game. In the win over Stanford, they only notched four shots to Stanford's 14, but it was the one that went in that matters (scored in the 86th minute).

Here are their season stats:

https://admin.xosn.com/fls/18600/stats/WomensSoccer/teamcume.htm

Looks like everything goes through Jenna Billingsly up front, who has nine goals and two assists on the year. Lizzy Carlson is another one to watch out for - three goals and three assists with 48 shots.

Their keeper, Mackenzie Snyder, has good stats and was just named to the Soccer Buzz team of the week this last week after being named the MVP of the Sun Belt tournament. She recorded shutouts in all three games of the tournament, albeit against weak competition.

They've got a good mix of experience players and young players... pretty similar to UP.

Anyway, I would expect them to employ a similar strategy against us that they did (I assume) against Stanford. Slow it down, pack the box, and hope and pray for a counter attack or mistake by the Pilot back line. This worked against the Pilots earlier in the year (Purdue, Yale, UC-Fullerton, etc.), but now that UP has everyone back and is rolling I really don't think it will be effective. The key for UP will be to stay patient and be relentless on the attack.

Sorry this isn't more in-depth, but at least it's a start.

Gooooo Pilots!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Denver Preview Empty Re: Denver Preview

Post by FANatic Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:44 pm

Stonehouse - You certainly have nothing to apologize for, being as you're the first poster on this thread in about seven hours! I tried several times to come up with something to write. But everything felt forced. I did glance at the Denver Athletic site and the Colorado site. But I don't as a rule get too involved with analyzing the opposition. I leave that to others as I prefer to be the "rah-rah" cheerleader guy and focus on my team.

I'm glad you posted what you did. Definitely gives me a general idea of Denver. That they beat Stanford is interesting. However, I like our chances!

Thanks again - Stonehouse - for bringing life back to the forum. I can always count on you and Geezer. (BTW, we now have TWO posters with over 300 posts. You and Geez. "PilotFans Regular" with 2 big dots, right?)
And you are getting close to 400! You guys are my heroes... cheers
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:06 pm

Our chances are supposed to be pretty good, according to our friends Albyn Jones and Kenneth Massy.

Jones for instance, has us at near 95% certainty of moving on, assuming they have a home advantage and a shootout goes 50-50.

That said, Their chances of beating Stanford were .114 in the Massey rating, and they did, in fact, beat Stanford.

But we're not Stanford, Their big thing is speed, which altitude may have nullified.

We don't lose to teams ranked worse than us in the tournament, and Stanford has been up and down in the past.

The one caution I see is that both ranking systems give Denver a higher than normal home field advantage.
I'm guessing again, altitude plays a factor. Garrett has countered that in the past by substituting freely, and isn't really much of a step down with the players on this team.

I'm dusting off the TV right after I post this.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjapizza Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:24 pm

UP has their preview up:
http://www.portlandpilots.com/sports/wsoccer/release.asp?release_id=4661

I'm a little bummed about this weekend, Denver is within driving distance of where I used to live and I have to work tomorrow. I'll hurry home as fast as I can (in fact, I feel a nasty case of Pilotitis coming on right now *cough cough*).

Let's feel secure in the knowledge that the Pilots are preparing to punish Denver tomorrow. Spank 'em like their mommas never did.
ninjapizza
ninjapizza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 233

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:33 pm

I just noticed an interesting piece of gamesmanship.

Colorado, as host, elected to start the first game at 10:00 AM, meaning that the game will be played at what is equivalent to 7:00AM Honolulu time.

no quarter given...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:02 pm

I feel a nasty case of Pilotitis coming on right now *cough cough*

Pilotitis (pailataidis): chronic communicable disease-- usually terminal. Symptoms exhibited are sore throat, inability to keep still, and traces of purple in the blood. No known cure, syptoms can be eased only by victories. Some primitive sects believe the rhythmic chants "scoragol, scroragol" and "wanil, wanil" in communal groups helps, but more research is indicated.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pms275 Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:12 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:I just noticed an interesting piece of gamesmanship.

Colorado, as host, elected to start the first game at 10:00 AM, meaning that the game will be played at what is equivalent to 7:00AM Honolulu time.

no quarter given...

Well, the long flight on the plane won't help, but Hawaii is an early rise community--the tourists, not so much. Cool
pms275
pms275
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:20 am

I see that Texas and A&M started off the tournament yesterday with easy wins. The UCLA game has an audio broadcast over the internet at 5:30 tonight. Here is a link:

http://uclabruins.cstv.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/111407aaa.html
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:43 am

After watching last night's Duck's game, I am not taking anything for granted... in fact I am a little nervous about how much is being made of the potential media coverage of a second round game.

Denver beat Stanford. We, as a team, need to stay focused on this game and not let their "pack the box" defensive scheme to work. We need to score early and often, which I know we can. We just need to GET IT DONE.

GO PILOTS!!! BEAT DENVER!!!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Denver Preview Empty Pilotitis Is Real - I'm Dead Serious

Post by FANatic Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:53 am

Geezer - great definition of Pilotitis. However, the symtoms can vary from person to person. I have a particularly nasty case of them. I don't have a sore throat. But I certainly can't sit still and have become very restless and uncomfortable. I know I'll feel better when I get into the Chatbox and hear Adam Linnman's calming voice. affraid

Last night I nearly had a panic attack. Though heavily sedated, I was extremely nervous and uncomfortable. I tried watching the Duck's football game, but when Dennis Dixon's knee buckled and he crumpled to the ground, I got sick and had to go to bed. With an elephant's dose of meds in me, I finally calmed and went to sleep. pale

This morning I was feeling somewhat better. Although I had to throw my first batch of oatmeal away, I made another batch and it was real good. Now suddening I am starting to get restless again. I just looked at the clock, and gametime is only 3 hours away! bounce

It's the play-offs. Do or die. Win or pack your bags. This is where true champions step up, fight the urge to barf, and leave it all over the field. (I'm referring to your opponent's bodies strewn about the pitch!) Twisted Evil
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:14 am

Gotta be disheartening to give up a goal at what equates to 7:14 AM Hawaii time.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down