Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

recruiting - jordan akwenuke Jesuit?

+10
DTLegend
PurplePrideTrumpet
tmac2218
shallwemaui10
dholcombe
oldtimer
upsailor
onetouchfutbol
DaTruRochin
piloted
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

recruiting - jordan akwenuke Jesuit? - Page 2 Empty Re: recruiting - jordan akwenuke Jesuit?

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:48 pm

Everything I've read about Cason has him listed as a PF, who prefers to operate more out at the perimeter (read: a big a with range). His PF listing is more due to having a relatively large frame and wing span. And while he may be a little undersized weight wise currently, it sounds like with a college weight training program and whatnot, he has the capacity to become a little bigger to handle post work. From everything I've heard he sounds a lot like Dior Lowhorn of USF as far as skill set goes, and that is a very good thing.

Having a more perimeter oriented 4 is a very nice pairing to give more classic lane cloggers like Riley Barker. Additionally with his versatility you could see him (or Nicholas for that matter) featured at the 5 allowing for some serious pace changing, high pressure defensive line ups. Also with Cason and Bailey's shooting prowess you could toss out a line up with 1 post and 4 shooters, pretty exciting.

I think bottom line is adding Bailey and Cason are going to offer a ton of versatility. One of the things that has me excited is both of their relative length, something we really haven't had. If they are willing to put in the work to be good defenders (and to see the floor for Rev, you pretty much have to), we could be a very formidable team on both ends of the court.

But as long as I'm speculating, the one thing I would like to wish for (Well aside from for all the children of the world to join hands and sing together in the spirit of harmony and peace) is Derrick Rodgers to develop a jump shot. I really don't feel like I'm asking for much.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

recruiting - jordan akwenuke Jesuit? - Page 2 Empty Re: recruiting - jordan akwenuke Jesuit?

Post by navigator Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:09 pm

Still have games to win, so let's not let bygones be!!
I would like to see Tanner, Kramer, Sikma, Nem and see if Stohl can produce at point.
He may not have the quickness of Tim but nobody is moving the ball up the court very fast anyway. His turnover stat needs a boost anyway.
navigator
navigator
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:07 pm

Oh we know, but this is a speculation thread.... So why not speculate?

That said, if it wasn't for the rebounding need I would love to see Luke play point-forward...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:21 pm

It's not really a need for us, but, Nate Sikma does continue to be impressive since he went on a tear in the state tournament. He scored 15 points and had 11 rebounds in the 3A All Stars vs. 4A All Stars game. Very soon he won't be regarded as a one star recruit anymore:

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mobile/?type=story&id=2014481658&

He's getting it done against guys who will be playing at the college level...such as Gonzaga-bound Gary Bell.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:45 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:Everything I've read about Cason has him listed as a PF, who prefers to operate more out at the perimeter (read: a big a with range). His PF listing is more due to having a relatively large frame and wing span. And while he may be a little undersized weight wise currently, it sounds like with a college weight training program and whatnot, he has the capacity to become a little bigger to handle post work. From everything I've heard he sounds a lot like Dior Lowhorn of USF as far as skill set goes, and that is a very good thing.

Having a more perimeter oriented 4 is a very nice pairing to give more classic lane cloggers like Riley Barker. Additionally with his versatility you could see him (or Nicholas for that matter) featured at the 5 allowing for some serious pace changing, high pressure defensive line ups. Also with Cason and Bailey's shooting prowess you could toss out a line up with 1 post and 4 shooters, pretty exciting.

I think bottom line is adding Bailey and Cason are going to offer a ton of versatility. One of the things that has me excited is both of their relative length, something we really haven't had. If they are willing to put in the work to be good defenders (and to see the floor for Rev, you pretty much have to), we could be a very formidable team on both ends of the court.

But as long as I'm speculating, the one thing I would like to wish for (Well aside from for all the children of the world to join hands and sing together in the spirit of harmony and peace) is Derrick Rodgers to develop a jump shot. I really don't feel like I'm asking for much.

Nem developed his range last summer. Don't see why Rodgers can't improve his jumper. Somebody on the staff must know how to show the guys to tweak their shot. I can't believe Nem just suddenly figured it out one day, although that may have happened.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:53 pm

Well, Nem came in as a pretty fantastic shooter, you could see that even as he was a skinny freshman wearing a t-shirt under his jersey, it was everything else that improved... (Thus allowing him to actually use his shot effectively)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:32 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:Well, Nem came in as a pretty fantastic shooter, you could see that even as he was a skinny freshman wearing a t-shirt under his jersey, it was everything else that improved... (Thus allowing him to actually use his shot effectively)

I agree. On film Nem was coming off screens and hitting 3s last year too. He just didn't get too many minutes because he was behind some very good players. But, he's shown his potential for a while now.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:17 am

Here's an answer about our recruiting question:
The Pilots have 10 players eligible to return next season and are bringing in a strong recruiting class led by forwards Kevin Bailey and Dorian Cason from California, as well as guard David Carr from Portland's Central Catholic High School.

Reveno has one other scholarship available for next season available and are close to making an offer to a junior college post player.

I sure hope we see big off-season improvements in the ball handlers.

From the O-Live post game article. LINK

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:43 am

Any guesses on the JC post player?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:33 am

up7587 wrote:

I think what really needs to happen is Tim is never allowed to get hurt ever again. EVER
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:49 am

up7587 wrote:Here's an answer about our recruiting question:
The Pilots have 10 players eligible to return next season and are bringing in a strong recruiting class led by forwards Kevin Bailey and Dorian Cason from California, as well as guard David Carr from Portland's Central Catholic High School.

Reveno has one other scholarship available for next season available and are close to making an offer to a junior college post player.

From the O-Live post game article. LINK

Looks as though Reveno has some inclination as to which position he still needs to recruit, though further debate here might be informative. Let's hope the JC accepts and we add depth or better yet upgrade the front line for next year.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:02 am

DaTruRochin wrote:
up7587 wrote:

I think what really needs to happen is Tim is never allowed to get hurt ever again. EVER

Being a glass half full guy, I would say I'm more optimistic. If there's a type of team that we struggled with this year, it's a team with length that can really press out to the perimeter and get in a guard's face. Kentucky exposed us first, and then teams with less talent did the same thing. Let's face it, even Timmy D. struggled with those kinds of teams at times. In the Gonzaga game at the Chiles once or twice, we tried to set a kind of weak screen and he basically accidentally handed it over to players on the other team. We cut him some slack though because of his offensive ability to have a breakout game.

The good news is that we have some taller 6-6 swing players coming in: Kevin Bailey and Cason. One or both of those guys have better ball handling skills than a lot of the players on the roster right now. Being an optimist, it would be great to see Kevin Bailey spell Mitrovic at the shooting guard position. That way he could break down that perimeter defense with his length, by having a taller player create with entry passes or penetration. If he's able to pass to an effective JC post player, that would be another plus... We need some of our other players to creatively take the pressure off of the point guard position.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:28 pm

Does a coach have the leeway to sign a JC ( 2nd, yr), before or after high school seniors can sign ?

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:33 pm

A jr college transfer does not need a release, and can talk to a 4 yr coach anytime.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:33 pm

Hahaha if you need any advice on the JC transfer rules ask Randy Bennett, he is quite familiar with the loopho, er I mean rules...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:53 pm

How about the foreign student rules? I recall Robin had to sit a year. Rev's latest twitter:
At the office preparing for a trip overseas tomorrow. Making sure I have all the NCAA compliant recruiting materials ready to go....

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:12 pm

Very true... But from what I understand under the new rules Robin wouldn't have had to sit out that year AND he would have had a full 4 years of eligibility. (Since Robin never accepted pay or benefits beyond what the NCAA deemed necessary amateur provisions...)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:33 am

up7587 wrote:How about the foreign student rules? I recall Robin had to sit a year. Rev's latest twitter:
At the office preparing for a trip overseas tomorrow. Making sure I have all the NCAA compliant recruiting materials ready to go....

Robin had to sit a year due to playing some professional ball in Germany I believe. At least if you trust wikipedia:

Smeulders played NCAA college basketball at University of Portland under head coach Eric Reveno. As a freshman, Smeulders was ruled ineligible to play in any game due to his history of playing for a German club team, which the NCAA deemed as professional.[2]

I doubt Rev is recruiting more players with professional experience...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:35 am

onetouchfutbol wrote:
up7587 wrote:How about the foreign student rules? I recall Robin had to sit a year. Rev's latest twitter:

Robin had to sit a year due to playing some professional ball in Germany I believe. At least if you trust wikipedia:

Smeulders played NCAA college basketball at University of Portland under head coach Eric Reveno. As a freshman, Smeulders was ruled ineligible to play in any game due to his history of playing for a German club team, which the NCAA deemed as professional.[2]

I doubt Rev is recruiting more players with professional experience...

THe NCAA rule that was invoked in his case was since repealed. Originally, if you played on a team with professionals, you were not eligible.

Somebody pointed out that virtually every kid who played ice hockey or W league soccer also couldn't meet that test and the NCAA was using a double standard.

Now the team has to call itself a professional team (Robin's team was a basketball club team) or the player has to receive no more than expenses and possibly an education. As long as the player doesn't get more than that ( which was Robin's case) he can enter the NCAA ranks without penalty.

The rule change came too late for Robin.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/COLLEGE-BASKETBALL-Rule-change-could-help-foreign-players
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:16 am

Just for the record, I would have liked to have Robin this year...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:48 am

Thanks for the clarification, PG. In any case, Smeulders had to deal with the rule during his time, and any foreign players who we recruit will no longer have to deal with that. Rev can kind of use SMU as a model for how to deal with complications and logistics (since they've done so well in Australia). In all honesty, I'm not sure if getting a foreign player through the logistics like VISA requirements is that much more difficult than finding a JC player who meets all of the academic requirements...but, I'm no expert. There are some Pac-10 (or should I now say Pac-12) schools that have really struggled with recruiting and keeping JC players in recent years. Opportunities like TJ Campbell won't come along every season; that's for sure. We can't take finding a great JC player who graduates for granted...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:33 pm

Rev going overseas at this time for recruiting, does it suggest thet he is giving up on a JC recruit at this time ? Also he has been in the habit of going to Australia lately. Lack of success down under must have discouraged him

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:36 pm

Well who says it is for this upcoming year? He could also be scouting for the 2012 class as well...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:55 pm

Rev continues to keep us excited:
Excited to meet with some very intriguing prospects on Tues, last day of contact period. We have accomplished a lot but our aim is higher.

via Twitter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:54 pm

OK, now he's just toying with us:
I had high hopes for the last day of this contact period and today did not disappoint. Exciting evaluations and intriguing conversation.

via Twitter

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next