Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just a few Recruiting notes

+4
wrv
onetouchfutbol
Stonehouse
DTLegend
8 posters

Go down

Just a few Recruiting notes Empty Just a few Recruiting notes

Post by DTLegend Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:12 am

Doing a little research on Rivals the other day I came across some interesting things concerning our Pilots. First of all, it says that we have offered a scholarship to a Junior College student by the name of Jarrell Crayton. He is out of Sheridan College in Sheridan Wyoming. He is originally from Nebraska and was offered scholarships from Creighton and Nebraska before going to Junior College. Here is the link to his Rivals page:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Jarrell-Crayton-120732?colleges=show#college_choices

Also, it looks like we have sent an offer to Jordan Tebbutt from Tualatin. The chances of us landing this kid are slim at best but here's to wishful thinking. Here is the link to his rivals page:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Jordan-Tebbutt-89173?colleges=show#college_choices

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Just a few Recruiting notes Empty Re: Just a few Recruiting notes

Post by Stonehouse Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:34 pm

JuCo big guy sounds about right to me. With Luke, Kramer, and Jasonn graduating and really only Barker getting significant minutes this year, it would definitely be nice to have a big guy that could contribute right away.

We do have Dorian Cason coming in too and Nicholas and Bailey returning, but that's a lot of inexperience, and I think our success this season is really proving the value of experience.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:54 pm

Both guys sound like great prospects. If we could somehow land Tebbutt, that would continue a great recruiting class that's already been a heist...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:16 pm

We are losing a 6'9" guy, double k, a 6'8" guy, Luke, and a 6'10" guy, Jasonn, and of course Jared. We have now signed a 6'7" forward who probably is a bit over 6'6" but by the miracle of D1 measuring will be 6'8" by the time his name appears on a Pilot roster, a 6'5" swing man and a point guard--I hope this potential student athlete Crayton is a force on the boards because the Pilots will be height challenged next year unless we recruit another center.

My guess is the staff is aware of the lack of a backup center for next year and is either willing to risk going short in considering the level of talent they hope to land and the abilities of Barker, or, and perhaps more realistically, the information about an offer to Crayton is dated and the Pilots are actually pursuing what makes sense under these circumstances--another center. An offer to Crayton may have been more realistic before we signed young Cason to an LOI.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:54 pm

wrv wrote:We are losing a 6'9" guy, double k, a 6'8" guy, Luke, and a 6'10" guy, Jasonn, and of course Jared. We have now signed a 6'7" forward who probably is a bit over 6'6" but by the miracle of D1 measuring will be 6'8" by the time his name appears on a Pilot roster, a 6'5" swing man and a point guard--I hope this potential student athlete Crayton is a force on the boards because the Pilots will be height challenged next year unless we recruit another center.

My guess is the staff is aware of the lack of a backup center for next year and is either willing to risk going short in considering the level of talent they hope to land and the abilities of Barker, or, and perhaps more realistically, the information about an offer to Crayton is dated and the Pilots are actually pursuing what makes sense under these circumstances--another center. An offer to Crayton may have been more realistic before we signed young Cason to an LOI.

Well, I'm not sure how height challenged we'll be, but, it would certainly help if 6'10 Riley Barker bulked up a little bit. We will have better athleticism than maybe we've ever had in the 2 new recruits (Cason and Bailey). Then there's going to be some other guys who may fill in the gaps left like Ryan Nicholas ( 6'7, 235) and the other Bailey--John Bailey (6'8, 210) who should be able to occupy some space. We might go through a summer of bulking up a little bit, and one more 6'9 guy would be helpful. But, I'd say we lose more in experience than we lose in size...

I just hope that no one leaves or transfers, that would be brutal...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:01 pm

Don't know why, but I'm excited about ryan nicholas. I think that dude is going to be a player. I look at him and think he has what it takes to be successful. I don't, and more importantly he doesn't, care about his size, he's just going to go out there and get it done.

On the record prediction: Nicholas will be an All WCC Player before he leaves the Bluff.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:43 pm

Rochin54 wrote:Don't know why, but I'm excited about ryan nicholas. I think that dude is going to be a player. I look at him and think he has what it takes to be successful. I don't, and more importantly he doesn't, care about his size, he's just going to go out there and get it done.

On the record prediction: Nicholas will be an All WCC Player before he leaves the Bluff.

+1

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:55 pm

oldtimer wrote:
Rochin54 wrote:Don't know why, but I'm excited about ryan nicholas. I think that dude is going to be a player. I look at him and think he has what it takes to be successful. I don't, and more importantly he doesn't, care about his size, he's just going to go out there and get it done.

+1

My intuition says that he's going to be a real fan favorite, kind of a bread and butter fundamentals kind of a guy like Sikma. Kevin Bailey excites me the most though... I can't remember such a highly touted prospect coming to the bluff in terms of pure athleticism. The beauty of it is that you need both kinds of players to create a team: the guys who can do the dirty work and the guys who can lift the crowd with dunks and athleticism.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:43 pm

onetouchfutbol wrote:

My intuition says that he's going to be a real fan favorite, kind of a bread and butter fundamentals kind of a guy like Sikma. Kevin Bailey excites me the most though... I can't remember such a highly touted prospect coming to the bluff in terms of pure athleticism. The beauty of it is that you need both kinds of players to create a team: the guys who can do the dirty work and the guys who can lift the crowd with dunks and athleticism.
I miss B.J. Porter.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:50 am

My speculation on being height challenged next year may be incorrect--I forgot about 6'8" Bailey. Thanks for the reminder. Ryan Nicolas, for all his willingness to hustle and bang, looks shorter than 6'7" to me--looks to be way shorter than 6'7", maybe 6'5" or a little more. Nicolas will be our round mound of rebound, without the round I suspose.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:15 am

Noticed we were in the running for a PIL PG, Andrew Andrews from Benson. Alas, he has chosen to become a Husky No

In the end, Washington became the most attractive option to Andrews, who picked the Huskies over Washington State and Portland.
I sure would like to see us start to get a few more of the better local players.

O-Live LINK

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:04 pm

up7587 wrote:Noticed we were in the running for a PIL PG, Andrew Andrews from Benson. Alas, he has chosen to become a Husky No

In the end, Washington became the most attractive option to Andrews, who picked the Huskies over Washington State and Portland.
I sure would like to see us start to get a few more of the better local players.

O-Live LINK

Yeah, I think we're a season or two away from consistently being in the running for players like this. When local players start to see our success and a few of our big time recruits start to perform for us like Kevin Bailey, it will make a difference. We'll get a few more top 150 ranked recruits and some of the better guys from Oregon. In the meantime, we've got to be satisfied with robbing the state of Washington of guys like Tanner Riley and others...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:23 am

wrv, according to the release from the athletic dept. on 11/11/10, Bailey is 6-5 and 190. I believe he will be playing either SF oor wing in our system.

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:44 am

SORRY wrv, I forgot for a mome nt that next year we will have TWO Baileys'

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer