Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

U of O ranked #1 in the AP in football...true or flukey?

+7
mattywizz
DaTruRochin
pilotram
Rochin54
blacksheep
Stonehouse
onetouchfutbol
11 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

U of O ranked #1 in the AP in football...true or flukey? - Page 4 Empty Re: U of O ranked #1 in the AP in football...true or flukey?

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:35 pm

Breaking news out of Corvallis

"OSU football practice was delayed after a player found a white powdery substance on the field. Coach Riley suspended the practice and called the police. After a complete analysis, forensic experts determined that the unknown substance was the Goal Line. Practice resumed after it was decided the team was unlikely to encounter the substance again this season."
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

U of O ranked #1 in the AP in football...true or flukey? - Page 4 Empty Re: U of O ranked #1 in the AP in football...true or flukey?

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:44 pm

I wasn't aware Autzen used chalk, how quaint!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:35 pm

It's official. The Ducks will play in the National Championship game!

I would think that even the Husky fans among us have to admit the Ducks are not a fluke.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:46 pm

blacksheep wrote:It's official. The Ducks will play in the National Championship game!

I would think that even the Husky fans among us have to admit the Ducks are not a fluke.
Dreamer! Smack!

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:50 pm

blacksheep wrote:It's official. The Ducks will play in the National Championship game!

I admit that they're better than I thought, and at the same time, they still have to win it. It will be interesting to see if Auburn can figure out how to stop them without being able to make defensive substitutions. The Pac-10 never seemed to figure it out.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:33 pm

Actually, UO will see the biggest and most athletic lines they have seen all year. I think the issue is whether UO can neutralize that advantage with their speed and pace.

I think they will on offense, but on defense the other team gets to dictate.
Oh yeah. Auburn have the Heisman guy, too.
I think it will be a great game.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11823
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:01 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:Actually, UO will see the biggest and most athletic lines they have seen all year.

Not so, at least in terms of size:

http://www.addictedtoquack.com/2010/12/7/1861586/the-myth-of-auburns-massive-size-advantage

Now you of course can still make the argument for athleticism . . .
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:49 pm

But they're the ESSSS EEEEE CCCCC! affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:41 pm

Well I hope you're happy now. The first thing I thought of when I saw the new Ducks uniforms was Seattle's alternate jersey. Mad
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:24 pm

If it helps at all, when seattle unleashed that 3rd kit last year, it reminded me of the '03 ducks... (Haha, but the won the USOC wearing them so I don't complain too much)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:05 pm

Yeah, the build up awaits us. Which of the 50,000 U of O jersey combinations will they choose for the national championship game?

--------------------------------

For me as far as strategy goes, the biggest question is: how does Auburn adapt to not being able to make any defensive substitutions? Auburn has the talent to win it, but, they've got to be able to find a way to get that talent onto the field.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:55 pm

Apparently its official.

the ducks are undersize

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=129418482774703000
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11823
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:16 pm

"The SEC doesn't have more talent than anybody else – (other leagues) have just as good of players – but luck has been on their side." --Auburn Center Ryan Pugh.

At least the guy is humble. I'm sure a lot of other SEC players and coaches think that their league does have more talent...which is bogus.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:41 pm

I'm totally indifferent about the result of this one... I think I'm just as fed up with hearing that the SEC is a better conference as I am with the Ducks. But, then again even if the Ducks win it the SEC dudes will continue to spout nonsense. All we hear about is the royal SEC in American football and the Big East in basketball. One more reason to love the original form of football...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:20 pm

Well, until next year then... The Pac-10 still has a winning record against the SEC in bowl games at 12-10, and Oregon loses as well. They did represent the conference pretty well though.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:39 pm

AU played better, but Ducks left points on the floor. 3 points total for 3 trips to red zone won't get it done. The hero of the game is the DB who stayed with the play and stopped Tuinei on the 3 instead of scoring. That play won the game. Hated to see the game lost on a fluke play. If UO was the type of team that piled on after a guy's down, probably would have been OT.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:53 am

Man, there were just so many moments that Oregon didn't capitalize on or things just didn't quite go Oregon's way. The tackle that wasn't, Harris' interception that wasn't (next play AU TD), DT's second pick while driving towards a score, Tuinei getting tackled, not punching it in on fourth down. A lot of things.......

I love Chip Kelly though. We'll be back. One game or one play doesn't define you as a man or a team. All true. Keep winning the day.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:59 am

What is with the UP facebook update that was showing love to the Ducks? What's next, congrats to UW and PSU?
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:52 pm

pilotram wrote:What is with the UP facebook update that was showing love to the Ducks? What's next, congrats to UW and PSU?

Agreed.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:44 pm

If Portland State ever got to the FCS Championship Game I would be all right with UP wishing them well.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:56 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:If Portland State ever got to the FCS Championship Game I would be all right with UP wishing them well.

Yea, I don't know that it's a big deal.. I would certainly wish the beavs well in any bowl game, and wouldn't be offended if UP wished them well in a rose bowl or national title game. Now, if its the Las Vegas bowl, it would seem odd to comment on it, but c'mon, it's the national championship game. Hell, I'd even wish WSU and.....?????......UW??????....well if they were playing Auburn in the title game. Seems it s a State of Oregon pride thing (or PNW pride). I've got no problem.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:38 pm

Congrats Zags on the sweet 16 appearance! We're all so proud of you! cheers
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:06 pm

Rochin54 wrote:
PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:If Portland State ever got to the FCS Championship Game I would be all right with UP wishing them well.

Yea, I don't know that it's a big deal.. I would certainly wish the beavs well in any bowl game, and wouldn't be offended if UP wished them well in a rose bowl or national title game. Now, if its the Las Vegas bowl, it would seem odd to comment on it, but c'mon, it's the national championship game. Hell, I'd even wish WSU and.....?????......UW??????....well if they were playing Auburn in the title game. Seems it s a State of Oregon pride thing (or PNW pride). I've got no problem.

Well, to me it feels more like bandwagon jumping. There's a lot of diversity at UP, and the only team that we all cheer for wears purple. Anytime we play the University of Oregon in basketball, women's soccer, men's soccer, or X-Country, I want to kick their tails.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:29 am

onetouchfutbol wrote:
Rochin54 wrote:

Well, to me it feels more like bandwagon jumping. There's a lot of diversity at UP, and the only team that we all cheer for wears purple. Anytime we play the University of Oregon in basketball, women's soccer, men's soccer, or X-Country, I want to kick their tails.

I agree that I always want UP to whoop up on the ducks. I think it's a bit different when UP doesn't sponsor a football team.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:00 am

Rochin54 wrote:
onetouchfutbol wrote:
Rochin54 wrote:

I agree that I always want UP to whoop up on the ducks. I think it's a bit different when UP doesn't sponsor a football team.

You're right. It is different, and at the same time, no Facebook post wishing another school well in a sporting event is going to make everyone happy. There is just too much diversity at U of P. Whether the post was about U of O for state pride or Notre Dame, our sister school, or any other team in the northwest, there's going to be some disagreement there.

When I attended, the school was only about 25% Catholic, I believe, and a large number of students came from out of state. The Hawaiian club was the biggest club of the school, and the annual luau was a really big deal (as I think it still is). Way too much diversity to make the assumption that everyone is a U of O football fan...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4