Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots v. Rutgers, Penn St.

+21
fozziewozzie
GUPhantom
irish78
Auto-Pilot
wrv
pms275
eProf
harryb
SoreKnees
ktinpurple
FANatic
PurplePrideTrumpet
A_Fan
purple haze
Indigo Kid
fan from afar
Harry Redknapp
Geezaldinho
UPSoccerFanatic
jc
'78 Alum
25 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Pilots v. Rutgers, Penn St. - Page 3 Empty Re: Pilots v. Rutgers, Penn St.

Post by fozziewozzie Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:46 pm

Erin is definaly playing on a D1 level, absolutely!! Have to admit that I wondered why she was starting ahead of Hailee. Now I know, she has the 'instinct' I have always looked for in our keeps.

fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:32 pm

GUPhantom tells it like it is: Sophie Schmidt rules. She had Section B in awe with that chest pass and some aerial ball control that hardly seemed possible. Especially when Foxhoven is out, defenses will focus on Sophie. If they double or triple team her, others must be open and she will find them. The rest of the players have to be ready. One awesome pass from Sophie bounced by an open Rutgers goal because the left side attackers were watching her work for the ball at the end line rather than believing she would get it to them. She took them by surprise. She also tracks down and overtakes dribblers from behind and never shortchanges her defensive duties. Player of the year so far.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:55 pm

I think that Cloee had a bad sprain of her wrist a couple of weeks ago. I'm not so sure Kendra will be back that soon.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by color me purple Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:33 am

I agree completetly with all posters regarding Sophie. She has taken her game to a whole another level and is a absolutely a joy to watch. You never know what spectaculor new thing she will do next!

Her teamates around her have got to feed off of that and more importantly be ready for her passes when she gets double and triple team like she has been getting from the teams that we have been playing. If they do, then there will be many more opportunities that will open up offensively!

color me purple
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:28 pm

Portland 4-2 Penn State

I thought it was a great game for the Pilots today. They came back from a goal down twice and took control in the second half. Great way for Cruz to open her account, heading in a rebound of a Sophie Schmidt shot for the Pilots' second. Then Capelle with a cold finish after splitting the defense for the game winner. Keelin had a good looking kneeslide after heading in a corner.

Penn State had a pretty good forward in #5, who scored the first and made the run that led to the penalty.

The tournament's outstanding defensive player was Cloee, which was well deserved. Outstanding offensive player was Sophie.

Rutgers won the early game 1-0 over Washington. They scored heading in a corner in the second half. They were more organized than Washington on offense today (and they did not have to put 10 behind the ball like they did against the Pilots).
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:41 pm

Hailee's got her first start this season, as well as for Ellen Parker and Kristen Kelly, I think. Dominated Penn State in possession and shots in the first half, but their breakaway had them up 1-0 until we got a PK just before half. Unlucky not to have scored before, but lucky for the gift Penn State gave us.

Second half saw Penn State go up right away on a PK, followed by a flurry of Pilot goals. Last 20 minutes or so seemed less energetic, as Penn State seemed resigned to the loss.

Solid play by Kristen in the back, and, as always, by Jessica. Cloee was a force when she was out there, but she missed the middle part of the game (injury?) Ellen played well at attacking mid. Many runs by Taylor in the box where she turned the first defender around. Very active game for Elli. Micaela continues to have a knack for getting the ball into the net.

Overall, it was good to get the 'W', but it was a little nerve-racking getting behind twice. The Pilots, however, kept perserving and came away with some goals. M

Penn State has got to be frustrated to lose a fifth in a row after being up twice.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:53 pm

What was really unfortunate was that Lexi Marton, one of Penn State's central defenders (their best defender, I think, and a possible Canadian NT member) suffered what looked to be a season-ending leg injury well into the second half. She's a teammate of Sophie's, and as she was being tended too, Sophie went over to her, knelt down, patted her on the shoulder, and had a word with her. It was a powerful moment. They put a full inflatable leg cast on Lexi and took her off the field in the motorized cart.

Although Lexi incurred the injury in a play in which she took down Hallie, who was about to go on a breakaway, and for which Lexie was carded, it was really tough to see.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:03 pm

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:What was really unfortunate was that Lexi Marton, one of Penn State's central defenders (their best defender, I think, and a possible Canadian NT member) suffered what looked to be a season-ending leg injury well into the second half. She's a teammate of Sophie's, and as she was being tended too, Sophie went over to her, knelt down, patted her on the shoulder, and had a word with her. It was a powerful moment. They put a full inflatable leg cast on Lexi and took her off the field in the motorized cart.

Although Lexi incurred the injury in a play in which she took down Hallie, who was about to go on a breakaway, and for which Lexie was carded, it was really tough to see.

Too bad about the injury. both players could have been badly hurt.

Lexi wasn't carded, although I agree she should have been. It's pretty hard to card a player going off in a golf cart. The incident reminded me of Michelle Enyeart's season ending injury last year.

Christine Nairn was carded for dissent, either asking for a card on Halley - saying the call should have gone the other way, or protesting the spot of the ball for the free kick. The ref was having none of it.

Eprof- Ellen Parker started Friday also. This was Sarah Bridges first start, as well as Kristen Kelly's first of the season, I think (maybe her second). Cloee went out because the took another one to the face, but sucked it up and came back in when Kassi tired.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
UPSoccerFanatic wrote:What was really unfortunate was that Lexi Marton, one of Penn State's central defenders (their best defender, I think, and a possible Canadian NT member) suffered what looked to be a season-ending leg injury well into the second half. She's a teammate of Sophie's, and as she was being tended too, Sophie went over to her, knelt down, patted her on the shoulder, and had a word with her. It was a powerful moment. They put a full inflatable leg cast on Lexi and took her off the field in the motorized cart.

Too bad about the injury. both players could have been badly hurt.

Lexi wasn't carded, although I agree she should have been. It's pretty hard to card a player going off in a golf cart. The incident reminded me of Michelle Enyeart's season ending injury last year.

Christine Nairn was carded for dissent, either asking for a card on Halley - saying the call should have gone the other way, or protesting the spot of the ball for the free kick. The ref was having none of it.

Eprof- Ellen Parker started Friday also. This was Sarah Bridges first start, as well as Kristen Kelly's first of the season, I think (maybe her second). Cloee went out because the took another one to the face, but sucked it up and came back in when Kassi tired.
Yeah, Kassi was going hard like she always does, but still looks like she's working her way back from the time she missed.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:32 pm

I haven't checked the official stats, but I saw the ref take out a yellow card after Lexie took Halley down and then write something on his scorecard. I'll be interested to see what the stat sheet says.

Nairn was very frustrated. It was great, when the game was over, to see Keelin, followed by Elli, followed by Kendall, go over and give her a big hug. All U-something NT fellow members.

EDIT: Well, I see there was no yellow issued. It definitely could have been a yellow, except for Marton's injury, and I was looking forward to an explanation of the rule on whether it should have been a red.

Last edited by UPSoccerFanatic on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:41 pm

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:I haven't checked the official stats, but I saw the ref take out a yellow card after Lexie took Halley down and then write something on his scorecard. I'll be interested to see what the stat sheet says.

Nairn was very frustrated. It was great, when the game was over, to see Keelin, followed by Elli, followed by Kendall, go over and give her a big hug. All U-something NT fellow members.

stat sheet says Nairn got the card. maybe she got it because Marton wasn't available and somebody had to get it.

I think Nairn is the captain.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:55 pm

Nairn was mouthing off and the ref would have none of it. She was in a bad mood after the game - walked to side lines without shaking hands in the line at the end of the game.

She's probably p'd off about playing on a team with a crappy record.

Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:22 pm

Hailee got to play: some of us were wondering if/when Garrett would give her a game on a Sunday. She did noting wrong and made one excellent play when coming out at the feet of a PSU attacker.

Jess and Elli were strong again: Elli is having a great season. If not for a remarkable Canadian, Elli would be the player of the season so far for me. PS were quick and so both J and E had to pay a little more attention on defense today, especially in the second half. Kristen K played again today as she did last Sunday. Cloee played for 40 minutes and then went off with a blood issue. Kassi came on and started in the second half. Kristen has looked fine in both her games this year and Kassi always plays with gusto: but Kristen and Kassi is not the same as Cloee and MO. Kassi got totally burned on the play that led to the PK.

Keelin was great today: her usual reliable self, covering, winning the ball, making it happen; and the header was a bullet: brilliant! Ellen P looked very steady at attacking mid but only got to play for 20 minutes because Garrett switched Sophie back to mid. I like what I've seen of Ellen, but Sophie is playing superbly and I think that attacking mid is perhaps the place for her. We could get a good lookk at Ellen when SS is off with the Canadian NT.

Sarah B started with Taylor: Michelle C came off the bench, scored a good goal and went off hurt in the second half. UP is getting thin at outside mid. Elli played the last 10 minutes there with Emma Nelson on d. I'm concerned about outside mid. Taylor has energy and runs at people - with some success on occasion. But sometimes it looks like that is her only option and she seems to miss the chances for an early pass or a two touch play; at least that's how it looked to us in the second half. MC and SB are still getting up to speed, and MC is hurt. Telling stat: only one assist between the three of them.

We got a glimpse today of what could the optimal pairing up front: Dani and Micaela. Both good finishers. Dani's game with her back to the goal has improved enormously since her FR year: she is a more complete player now. She should have gotten the assist on Micaela's goal today - it was her header on that made it possible. Hallie is good off the bench. Having two smaller players up front together forces the Pilots to play the ball to feet, which is a good thing.

A good win today. Still a work in progress and some questions as to line up: up front? outside mid? I assume that Erin is still first choice GK and today was just a chance to give Hailee some time; and also that MO is OK.

Friday v. Aggies should be a good test. Assume we'll see the strongest XI available.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:27 pm

What a GORGEOUS September day -- stunning sunlight, excellent play by both teams, a hard-fought contest, and again the Pilots win going away with a second-half explosion. Really a tense game with Penn State's fast counterattack versus the Pilot's methodical offensive buildup offering a real contrast in styles. Penn State was always a threat to score with speed up front and and they did earn both their goals. Yet they were outrun and outworked overall in the relentless UP onslaught.

Anyone as skilled and competitive as Nairn, and as accustomed to winning, has to have a sour taste in her mouth after loss 5 for the young season. Some of Pilot Nation were wondering about the existence/status of purgatory -- well, they should ask Penn State women's soccer for an eyewitness report. For every team with a perfect record, another is another suffering in the depths.

As for Cloee coming out for a while: She had to get treated for a bloody nose (to go with the black eye she earned Friday). Applying a chilled Most Valuable Defensive Player award to the affected area will help.

So -- Great to see Hailee DeYoung in action and hear the student section chanting her name, which she acknowledged with a small wave. Great to see 4 different Pilots put the ball in the net. Great to see Emma Nelson finish the game at left back. Great to see UP never get down and keep cranking up the pressure. Great to see all the Pilots players in cleats and shin guards and dressed to play -- even if Kendall and Kendra have leg braces -- that's a big health improvement over a few weeks ago with up to 5 not fully suited up.

A big weekend of soccer against worthy foes -- gotta love the results.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:36 pm

Even though this season has been a nail biter every game, I think I am enjoying it more than last years scoring output! The close games makes things more interesting an it's great to see our girls resolve an determination to win the game.

Cruz her best game to date, looked like a D1 player an got a goal. Unfortunately she tweaked the same knee she had a brace/sleeve on she wore after the 2nd half Friday an wore today. Looked to me like she may have hyperextended it. Lets hope thats all it is.

Clohee it seems took something to the nose, she had cotton stuffed up her nose at half time. Also, I thought Taylor had a very good game. One thing I really liked; towards the end of the second half, Taylor got tangled up with a Penn St defender near the Penn St endline. Couldnt really see what happened, looked like the defender may have stepped on Taylor intentionally or something, but Taylor came up like she wanted to deck the gal...an restrainded herself. I loved to see that spirit, that fight, that, "I'm not going to take this" attitude!

While we had our best goal total of the year to date, I am even more encouraged because of the competition. Regardless of Penn St's record, they are a quality opponent an their record does not reflect their skill.

Lastly, of all our goals, I loved Keelin's headed off the corner. Truly a thing of beauty!

fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:46 pm

'arry,
Please in the furture remember we have two 'MC's'. Michaela Capelle an Michelle Cruz. Probably just me an my pea brain, but I got confused as to who you were referring to when you said MC played like a D1 player. My first thought was Michaela who I think we can all agree has preformmed like a D1'er since the beginning.

fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:47 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:

I'm not certain, but I'm betting the card was for the injured player. By proper etiquette, a referee does not show the card to a player who is down injured. If the player never gets up, it is accepted procedure to show the card to another player while informing the player (usually by pointing as well as talking) that the card is actually for the injured player. The referee had his card out while the injured player was down, which leads me to believe that this is what happened. It all eventually gets cleared up when the referee files his match report.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:56 pm

Agree SN,
I also thought the card was for the injured Penn St player. While she was down, the ref stood over on the sideline with the ref's assistant, almost like they were talking about whether the card should be yellow or red.
While the collision between the Penn St player an Halley was truly brutal, it was equally amazing that Halley got up from it. She received as well as the Penn St defender did, Halley was just more fortunate. She laid on the turf for a good amount of time.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:53 am

Good Morning All,

While watching the live video of the game on Sunday I had a classic 'glass half full/half empty' vision. Allow me to share:

Half Full:
1.The Pilots won again. Their record now stands at 8-0-0. Who Rah!
2.The team scored a season high 4 goals today. Yes!
3.The offensive squad is steadily coming together under Sophie’s steady guidance. They never give up, never falter, and always keeping pushing themselves forward.
4.Ellie and Jess had another spectacular game, and with the help of their central counterparts, held Penn St. to only 2 goals.
5.Kassi and Emma got some play time. Great!

Half Empty:
1.Yes, the Pilots won again -- but against a team that clearly plays like it’s had the spunk and heart beat out of it. Granted their forwards are fast and talented but their overall team plays like a team that started off the season ranked 18 but have sense dropped off the grid. Playing against these first 8 teams this season (with the exception of Oklahoma St) is one thing but, starting on Friday, the Pilots runs the gauntlet. The test truly begins now.
2.On paper the team scored 4 goals but one of those goals was a gift. Even Megan Sweeney was speechless after UP was awarded a penalty shot after Sophie was “fouled” in the box at the end of the first half (and Sweeney works for UP).
3.To tell you the truth, I can’t say anything negative about the offensive squad. I think they are a great group of very hard working players. They are wonderful to watch.
4.Granted the defense held the opposition to only 2 goals but they allowed the team to fall behind twice! That isn’t good (Sweeney was also disturbed by this). In addition, they got beat bad when those goals were scored. A high quality opposing team could make those mistakes fatal. Hopefully they learned from those mistakes and will only get stronger because of them.
5.I am glad Kassi and Emma got to play some minutes. But they truly looked rusty (and understandably so). That is the down side of seldom subbing your defenders. And I noticed Molly K did not get into the game again. Does that kid ever get to play? I don’t understand Garrett on this one.

The neat thing though is this is only a game. It’s not real life. No one is going to get shot. No one is going to lose a fortune. It’s a sport. Smile and enjoy it.

-UJ-

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:22 pm

Uncle John wrote:
Granted the defense held the opposition to only 2 goals but they allowed the team to fall behind twice! That isn’t good (Sweeney was also disturbed by this). In addition, they got beat bad when those goals were scored. A high quality opposing team could make those mistakes fatal. Hopefully they learned from those mistakes and will only get stronger because of them.
Sorry if this comes off as blunt...

The defense was playing with a second choice center back, and the defender who gave away the penalty is still getting the rust off, as you alluded to. If she were fully fit I think she would not have had to do that. I am sure the defense learned from yesterday and will be better Friday.

PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:55 pm

But how does one get into game shape when one seldom or never plays in games?

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:14 pm

Uncle John wrote:But how does one get into game shape when one seldom or never plays in games?

Well, that's the issue, isn't it? With any of the players you are wondering about, maybe you should be asking who is healthy, who do you know got held out of training and spring games, and who isn't in shape because of injury or pain during training.
T
Without getting into specific players( this isn't a scouting service for opponents), ask yourself who hasn't strung together enough minutes for a whole game, who is wearing a wrap or brace, who has only come in when a team mate got hurt, who doesn't look comfortable running, Why is a player who played a brilliant game on Friday not playing on Sunday,etc..

We played three central defenders who played NO minutes in the field during Spring ball. ditto the keeper. Do you think they were vacationing? Sometime the player you see on the field is the least hurt at the position.

Soccer is a tough sport. Injuries at the D1 level are the norm, and I'll just say we have our share right now.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:55 pm

Geez,

When was the last time you have seen either of our outside defenders sub'ed out of a game?

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:01 pm

With those assumptions, who, without inside knnowledge, could ever know whether a players presence is due to notable performance either in games or in practice or whether they are the only healthy body going.

The number of injuries appears to be mounting and is a worrisome sign for the gauntlet upcoming, to use another poster's description.

Given that she has barely played, I doubt it would aid our opponents too greatly to know whether our as of yet missing freshman Frisbie will be healthy or at least available on Friday.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:18 pm

You hit my nail right on the head.

With the number of injuries in women's soccer rising, don't you think it prudent to have contingency plans in case one or more of your key players is injured sometime later in the season?

And don't you think that plan should include having the back up for said key player getting some play time?

And to take it one step further, don't you think it prudent to bring players along during their underclassmen years to fill the shoes of key seniors who will be graduating.

And don't you think that should involve play time for those younger players?

My issue is UP could do a better job at planning for unforseen injuries and forseen graduations. They seem be caught flat footed at times.

Just my observation.

UJ

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next