Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Offensive Uncertainty

+17
color me purple
fwill
Harry Redknapp
eProf
Psychotic
UPreveler
onetouchfutbol
PurplePrideTrumpet
purple haze
UPSoccerFanatic
Geezaldinho
BigBro
fan from afar
A_Fan
UPFAN
DaTruRochin
wrv
21 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Offensive Uncertainty - Page 4 Empty Re: Offensive Uncertainty

Post by Guest Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:28 pm

Garrett's comment on the Offensive Uncertainty:
The Pilots are unbeaten despite – for them – a scarcity of goals. The Pilots have scored 11 goals this season, compared with 20 goals scored after the team's first six games in 2009. They averaged 3.61 goals a game last season, this season they are averaging 1.83 goals a game.

"I think it's just finding the composure to put it away," said Schmidt, noting the Pilots have outshot their opponents 110-25 this season. "It's the only thing that we're missing. That final touch and finishing. "

Smith said it's unrealistic to expect the Pilots' goal-scoring binge in 2009 (83 goals in 23 games) would carry over into 2010.

"Everybody is trying to say it happens every year," Smith said. "We have to look at last year as maybe being an anomaly."

From an O-Live article on the weekend games. LINK

edit: Apologies to PPT, who earlier linked this article on another thread.

Last edited by up7587 on Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:33 pm

If in August someone had predicted that the Pilots would be undefeated at this point, few would have bet against it. But to achieve that with just 1 goal from Foxhoven, and none from Kreminski or Johnson or Reed or Cruz or Friesbie (let alone Chandhoke) -- well, who would have thought it possible. These players will all have a share in the scoring before long, I trust.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:33 am

All,

Relative to Garrett's statement on the "unrealisitic expectations" of scoring binges every year.....

I for one, don't care much about scoring binges against lower ranked soccer teams like PSU, CS Northridge, and (no offense FFAF) Syracuse.

I just want to see the team (for their sake and mine) beat the higher caliber teams like Texas A&M, Stanford, Cal, and Santa Clara.

If they can do that, I think they have a good chance to make it into (and past) the quarterfinals this year.

And if they do it by outscoring those teams by only 1 goal, well, I make a solemn vow right here and now to say 10 rosaries as a PRAYER OF THANKS, and to be offered up to the poor souls in purgetory.

BTW: Does the RCC still believe in purgetory, or did they throw that out along with the latin mass? I don't know.

I believe THIS TEAM can (and will) do that THIS YEAR.

Next year, to be honest, I'm not so sure.

As said before by many people way more intelligent than I - losing Sophi, Keelin, Elli, Kendra, and Jess may be tough to overcome in only one year.

Go Pilots! This is the year!

-UJ-

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:56 am

The faith of the Church concerning purgatory is clearly expressed in the Decree of Union drawn up by the Council of Florence (Mansi, t. XXXI, col. 1031), and in the decree of the Council of Trent which (Sess. XXV) defined:

"Whereas the Catholic Church, instructed by the Holy Ghost, has from the Sacred Scriptures and the ancient tradition of the Fathers taught in Councils and very recently in this Ecumenical synod (Sess. VI, cap. XXX; Sess. XXII cap.ii, iii) that there is a purgatory, and that the souls therein are helped by the suffrages of the faithful, but principally by the acceptable Sacrifice of the Altar; the Holy Synod enjoins on the Bishops that they diligently endeavor to have the sound doctrine of the Fathers in Councils regarding purgatory everywhere taught and preached, held and believed by the faithful" (Denzinger, "Enchiridon", 983).
LINK

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:17 am

Dear Playmaker,

Someone recently told me the leadership of the Catholic Church no longer 'believed' purgatory was a relative concept.

They were just probably trying to mess with my head.

Thanks for the information.

I feel much better now.

-UJ-

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:32 am

With apologies to the formerly lost souls who inhabited purgatory, which no longer exists, and I suppose to Dante, I do think that winning without significant scoring is still sufficient reason for celebration of one sort or another, including Rosaries, though I am not sure I would go that far . . .

Last edited by wrv on Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1422
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:10 am

Hello wrv,

I whole heartedly agree (celebrating winning).

Actually I forgot to mention, besides saying 10 Rosaries, I was also drink 1 or 2 (or more) Plinys.

Afterall, I am IRISH Catholic.

UJ

Back to top Go down

Post by UPFAN Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:33 pm

Agreed - winning is first and foremost, whether by one or by ten.

6 - 0 - 0 is a pretty good start in IMHO. Also, it does not matter WHO scores, HOW it is scored, WHEN it is scored, whether it is pretty, whether there is a big build up or a nice cross.....ultimately, it just matters that Portland has one more goal than the other guys! GO PILOTS

UPFAN
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2007-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:40 pm

I leave you guys alone for a few hours and THIS happens?

PilotNation is no ordinary fan site.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11810
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:49 pm

Yes, but the Pilots are no ordinary group of young women either!

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:21 pm

I am thoroughly unqualified for the spiritual topics, but on the material plane .. I think that Garrett has given more playing time to the new FR this year. Not unusual in prior seasons to see the starting XI play most of the game.

That probably has an impact on scores. Good reasons to do this might include: getting PT now because there may be less of it later in the year; checking out who's who because Sophie is going to be gone and injuries are always a risk; and PT and expereince are more critical this year because four current starters are going to be gone next year. And the midfield will have to look very different.

Interesting to see how much time everyone gets as the year progresses.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:33 am

I'm glad that there is no defensive uncertainty. As long as the scores stay tight, it appears we will see little subbing on the back line. The stalwarts there are logging long minutes and performing exceptionally. At the moment the wing mids and forward spots are far from set in terms of playing time and will change further as some injuries heal. For myself I'd love to see more wide-open Pilot wins simply for the joy of seeing more great goals. Beating up on a weaker foe is nothing to boast about -- I just like to see good team play rewarded with goals. In the meantime I will settle for tense, tight, well-payed games that result in a W.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:36 am

Purple Haze:

You are right on the money. The offense is still finding its way - although I love the way they never stop pushing themselves.

But I agree with you, I don’t think we are going to see any blow out games anytime in the near future (especially the next 6 games) which means the defensive starters will be holding steady – especially Jess and Elli. Those two are simply playing brilliantly. They dominate the opposition.

Perhaps someone could convince them to come back to UP for another 4 more years (under assumed identities of course). There has to be somebody out there in the Pilot Nation that knows the mechanics of creating false papers. You know former CIA, NSA, Special Ops – those types.

-UJ-

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:25 am

To All,

Because the Pilots won last night by at least one goal, I will say one Rosary and drink one Pliny. I will offer them both up to the poor souls in purgatory (or whatever the lastest RC fad is).

I am a man of my word.

-UJ-

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:31 pm

Hahaha, all I know is, we're still undefeated and from my entire 16 years in Catholic schooling the idea of purgatory wasn't mentioned once in class...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:07 pm

DaTruRochin wrote: from my entire 16 years in Catholic schooling the idea of purgatory wasn't mentioned once in class...

That's what we used to call the ante room outside the Principal's office.

I spent my share of time there in my youth. Nobody prayed for my soul....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11810
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:33 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
DaTruRochin wrote: from my entire 16 years in Catholic schooling the idea of purgatory wasn't mentioned once in class...

That's what we used to call the ante room outside the Principal's office.

I spent my share of time there in my youth. Nobody prayed for my soul....

Maybe, they just didn't tell you.

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:18 pm

Seven pages of this thread an I actually thought I would actually read suggestions on how our girls may actually be able to upgrade our production.

Writing this after the Rutgers game, I like the insertion of Michaela for Halley, an I am a huge Halley fan. Im not sure I like seeing Dani out of the starting line up.

I would like to see a line up of Dani an Michaela up top, Soph at attacking mid, Taylor an Kendall [when healthy] at the outside mid's. An if anyone can think someone other than Keelin is our holding mid... I think the 'D'line is not negotiable!. Erin has proven herself!

The best part about about this line up is we get to bring in Cruz, Parker,
Bridges an someone I personally would like to see more of, Amanda Frisbie.

k
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:46 pm

fozziewozzie wrote:Seven pages of this thread an I actually thought I would actually read suggestions on how our girls may actually be able to upgrade our production.

7 pages without some sort of tangent would shock me even more....

Kidding aside, I don't know if personnel changes are necessarily the answer, finishing is all mental/concentration. The best players in the world go through droughts, all it takes is hard work, a focus on fundamentals and making the best of chances created. The goals will come, but as long as we have more than they do I could care less at the end of a game...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:57 pm

Fozzie

Add Kendra as outside mid too.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:23 pm

Right on, Harry. A healthy Kendra would really rip things up wherever she plays. Likely right mid, based on last year. She was wearing a knee brace at the Rutgers game -- hope we can see her in action soon.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4