Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trinity

+3
purple haze
Geezaldinho
purple passion
7 posters

Go down

Trinity Empty Trinity

Post by purple passion Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:32 am

Being really new at this, I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer:

1. Is this Trinity the TWU from Langley BC?
2. If not, where are they from?
3. Would the NCAA allow Erin Dees to play Sunday if she hasn't yet started classes?
4. In previous years, has Garrett played starters as long as he appears to be playing them now (ie Keelin and Ellie)?

Thanks
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Trinity Empty Re: Trinity

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:56 am

I'll give it a shot

1. yes, they were Canadian champs the last two seasons.

2. see 1.

3. The 2010 guide for the college bound student says she has have met ncaa academic requirements, have graduated from HS, and be in her first year of college. She also has to be certified by the NCAA eligibility center. So, I'd say she has to be enrolled in school and taking classes, if they are in session.

4. UP has a long tradition of leaning toward the European substitution model. In the Clive Charles era, 10 starters and the keeper played with perhaps 2 or three subs during the game.. Garrett actually seems to be more liberal in his substitutions than Clive was., but don't expect the wholesale platoon systems like some colleges do. During the season you can expect those two to play most of most games. If the game is in hand, they might come out for others to gain experience for when they become starters. During the Spring games they went back in to rest others.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11811
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by purple passion Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:18 am

Thanks, Geezer. I was just thinking that the NCAA might have a hardship rule for teams that didn't have a keeper that was trained to be a keeper...not that Mich O isn't doing a fine job...it was just a thought since I believe Erin will be in Portland this weekend.
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:50 am

purple passion wrote:Thanks, Geezer. I was just thinking that the NCAA might have a hardship rule for teams that didn't have a keeper that was trained to be a keeper...not that Mich O isn't doing a fine job...it was just a thought since I believe Erin will be in Portland this weekend.

I'm pretty sure until now, the NCAA limited senior year contact even after students signed LOI's. I think that limited the head coach to three or seven contacts with a prospect. The rules were changed for students who have signed their letter to allow unlimited contact, but I'm not sure when that goes into effect. (August?)

If yu are really interested, the guide is here:
http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/CB10.pdf

and the NCAA D1 manual is here:
http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D110.pdf

I think article 14 answers your question.

14.1.8.1 Requirement for Practice. To be eligible to participate in organized practice sessions, a studentathlete
shall be enrolled in a minimum full-time program of studies leading to a baccalaureate or equivalent de enrolled in a minimum full-time program of studies leading to a baccalaureate or equivalent degree as defined by the regulations of the certifying institution. The violation shall be considered an institutional
violation per Constitution 2.8.1; however, it shall not affect the student-athlete’s eligibility. (Revised: 1/10/92,
10/28/99)

14.1.8.1.1 Practice Prior to Initial Enrollment. A student-athlete may practice during the official vacation
period immediately preceding initial enrollment, provided the student has been accepted by the
institution for enrollment in a regular, full-time program of studies at the time of the individual’s initial
participation; is no longer enrolled in the previous educational institution; and is eligible under all institutional
and NCAA requirements.

I think you have to check elsewhere to see if she is eligible to play in a Spring game. I doubt it, and definitely not if she doesn't meet these requirements.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by purple passion Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:45 pm

Very Impressive!!! Thanks again.
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:34 pm

I'm so America-centered I thought Trinity was in the Lower 48. Shows what I don't know. Per the TWU web site: "... highly decorated TWU women’s soccer program ... has earned back-to-back national championships, and currently has two CIS Rookie of the Year award winners, two CIS championship tournament MVP’s, six former Canada West all-stars and five Canadian FISU team members returning to the team for the 2010 season." So this sounds like a fun match. Wanna bet Sophie Schmidt will score some points against her fellow Canadians?
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:01 am

So question: Could the Pilots playing Trinity have anything to do with a desire to start recruiting more of the top Canadian players?

By the way, Geez, have your antennae picked up the significant change in my status?
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:11 am

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:

By the way, Geez, have your antennae picked up the significant change in my status?

Congrats. Trinity Emoticon_party

I see you are now well on your way to becoming a full ward of the State.

Imagine all the beer that income can buy.

I think this may allow you to assume the mantle of Lord high Commander of the Geezers.Trinity Old_hat_Emoticon
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:51 am

Is the game tomorrow at Nike or Tualitin Hills?
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:53 am

And what is the status of MichO's injury? I saw someone say that she can't run full speed which is why she is playing GK. It's also remarkable that she is doing that. She's played center mid and center d. Those are not radically different but GK is a whole new set of things to worry about. Kudos to her.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:50 am

In another thread, color me purple gave this game info: "April 11th- 1pm vs Trinity @ Tualatin Hill Rec Center Field 5"

And while we are talking injuries, what is Hailee's condition that is keeping her out of spring games? Nothing serious, I hope.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Trinity Empty Sunday match location

Post by estplnr Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:55 pm

I may be responsible for the location confusion because when I spoke with Bill Irwin at the PSU match.....HE said Nike......so tomorrow will tell the story.

estplnr
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Back to top Go down

Trinity Empty UP 2 - Trinity 2

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:04 pm

Trinity 100_1810
This was a good game. - better than the first two games of the season, and fans were treated to a pretty good show from both teams.
The starting lineup was the same as the last two games, except that Cloee didn't play. The scuttlebutt is she is again having leg problems and won't play again in the Spring. Kristen Kelly took her place.

Trinity got the first score on a breakaway from #5, Daniela Gerig, who's one heck of a player. (Bio here) She had size, speed, and good footwork. Michell O, who was again in goal, stopped the initial try but Gerig gathered up the rebound

Then UP settled in a bit and Sophie had two good shots off the crossbar from outside. the first the keeper had no chance on, the second was tipped over the bar. Most of UP's chances in the first were from the outside, except when Elli cut back in a couple times. In the first half, most of the chances seemed from the left side, and in thesecond more were from the right.

A bit later Sophie won a ball by the right flag and crossed it to Daniel in the 6 yard box who redirected it in.

The second half again saw Ellen Parker in for Danielle. She played center mid and Sophie went up top. Sarah Jackman started sharing time with Elli and Jess, and Halley was up top . Later Elinor Priest also came in.

UP started getting some more chances, with some nice tru balls as well as a nice runs outside. Halley got a nice goal on a thru ball from Parker, then Parker had her own cross bar hit from abut 25 yards out, Kreminski got a couple more shots, and Priest , Winters, , and Schmidt all had chances on thru balls.

Later Trinity's Gerig scored from a long cross into the box.

MO had some good stops - not exactly the most stylish, but they were good stops nevertheless. She came out to cut off a couple runs and at one point stopped the ball at her feet righ in front of the goal, then leaned down to pick it up. A second time, she went down to cover the ball very early and had to lie on the ground and wait for the ball. Unorthodox, but effective.

Trinity had some good players. Gerig stood out the most, but their #7, Alicia Tesan, was also good up top and # 15 Rebecca Fergusson, and #19 Nikki Write were both pretty agressive challenging the ball. Fergusson earned a yellow with a takedown of Johnson.

The Trinity keeper had to come out in the second half with an apparent injury, though I didn't see what caused it. All in all, it was a very entertaining game.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:21 pm

Thanks for the account of this match! See you Wednesday!
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:09 am

Here's an account of the game from the Trinity perspective.

http://www2.canada.com/langleyadvance/news/sports/story.html?id=91bf1ffe-55f0-4460-b1c6-6c8d1e3710cc
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:23 pm

Tho I'm a bit late to the post-game show due to a business trip, I agree with those who said it was an entertaining match, and well played by both sides. The Pilots had the best chances and lots more of them. Still, they had their hands full as they could not convert more than 2. Trinity scored on a high percentage of their few good chances. Trinity was quick to defend and pressure the ball. They counterattacked with speed. They were a disciplined and well-coached team. The Pilots were not able to run as freely up the wings as they do against many other teams due to tight marking. Maybe field 5 at Tualatin Hills isn't full Merlo width. With UP fans able to sit about 10 feet from the sideline, and under a bright sun, Trinity vs. UP was excellent spring fun.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum