Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gonzaga Loses, Fans Want to Quit WCC

+6
PilotDrummer
mattywizz
DaTruRochin
Geezaldinho
pilotram
PurplePrideTrumpet
10 posters

Go down

Gonzaga Loses, Fans Want to Quit WCC Empty Gonzaga Loses, Fans Want to Quit WCC

Post by Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:49 pm

Check out the comments for this fan post on the GU blog The Slipper Still Fits: LINK. Time to quit the WCC and become the Notre Dame of college basketball. I wonder how that will work out for all the sports at GU that are not MBB?

Glad to see everyone is keeping things in perspective. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Gonzaga Loses, Fans Want to Quit WCC Empty Re: Gonzaga Loses, Fans Want to Quit WCC

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:43 pm

I would provide a serious answer like, "A conference tournament helps prepare you for the pressure of playing a string of elimination games in a short period of time away from the comforts of home," but what's the fun in being reasonable?

Instead I would say, You wanna quit? Good! That would be great for our soccer team. The Zags bring down the conference RPI, which dings the Pilots. It's the slight differences that matter when picking four #1 seeds from a group of five or six teams.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Gonzaga Loses, Fans Want to Quit WCC Empty Re: Gonzaga Loses, Fans Want to Quit WCC

Post by pilotram Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:49 pm

So they are losers and quitters?
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:34 pm

pilotram wrote:So they are losers and quitters?

forgot one....

Gonzaga Loses, Fans Want to Quit WCC Crying2
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:48 am

Oh hyperbole in words and actions can be so much more fun though! And if nothing else, it provides me endless entertainment... And no I'm not talking about watching the Jersey Shore.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:17 am

If we lose, at all, ever in WCC play or our tournament, it is a huge blow and we drop 1, 2, 3 or even 4 seeds in Bracketology

That is my favorite comment. Because most teams when they lose in conference play actually move up in seeding. The WCC is soooo crazy like that. Not to mention that if you are too good for your conference, shouldn't you be more UConnWomenEsque (72 straight, never by less than 10), not 13-3?
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:33 am

I hear the PAC10 is looking to expand.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:55 pm

Hey, Josh, pass the bong.

Wow.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:35 pm

mattywizz wrote:
If we lose, at all, ever in WCC play or our tournament, it is a huge blow and we drop 1, 2, 3 or even 4 seeds in Bracketology

That is my favorite comment. Because most teams when they lose in conference play actually move up in seeding. The WCC is soooo crazy like that. Not to mention that if you are too good for your conference, shouldn't you be more UConnWomenEsque (72 straight, never by less than 10), not 13-3?

Seriously, these guys are annoying. Calling the WCC a "trash conference?" GU has lost the tourney in the "trash conference" to USD and SMU in recent years. These guys complain right now, but, the commentators noted that they may drop from being about a 5 seed to a 7 seed which means (to a UP fan's disgust) that they may still play first round games in Spokane. How about a little bit of respect for your opponent for a change?
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:07 am

They are the privileged teabaggers of the Palouse. Maybe Sarah Palin will show at their anti-WCC raly.... This self serving discussion has been ongoing at Bulldogville for a number of years, at least by a select number of diehards. Seattle, Denver and Pacific would all ably fill their spot. They would be left an isolated D1 school, struggling to gain opponents. Their attempts at basketball dominance would crash and burn. BTW, what conference were they members of during their rise to basketball prominence? What success as a basketball program did they have before they joined the lowly WCC?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:23 am

Spokane is outside the Palouse, but I feel you.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by ekrauss Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:08 am

I know lots of old-time Spokane Gonzaga fans who were around pre-WCC days. They aren't the ones saying this sort of stuff. It's the newbies who aren't from Spokane who arrived on the WCC scene after the Zag run started who are spewing this sort of BS. And they're also the same delusional ones who wish Mark Few would take the Oregon job because they think he's a lousy coach because he hasn't led the Zags to multiple Final Fours.

ekrauss
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:44 am

Yeah, haha growing up surrounded by zag fans/grads, I can attest that the majority I've com in contact are both realistic and relatively grounded... The message board world is hardly the one of the "typical" fan, it is a realm of hyperbole and very little accountability (Except for PilotNation of course Razz)

Clearly Mark Few is a fantastic coach and recruiter, one of the things about being so successful is people stop looking over you, GU gets special treatment/respect from other teams and it makes it harder and harder to repeat success. Without a football team there really isn't a good match for the Zags due to location, and to be being a fully independent basketball team/athletic program, forget about it. Scheduling 10 games is way easier than 30, and haha there's a reason why ND aligns with the Big East for everything else...

That said, does the WCC need to improve? Hell yes we do. But I think the last few years, getting the right coaches in the right places will help TONS. I mean Max Goode has some great things brewing in LA, Rex Walters seems to be doing well in SF, and then of course Bennett, Few and Reveno are doing their thing too. (The other 3 are kind of in TBD mode...) But that said good coaches and developing programs will be helping leaps and bounds. And any time a team like SMC can make some tourney noise, you better believe it brings attention to the whole conference, allowing coaches another thing to preach about competition on the recruiting trail.

Stay calm message board crazies... Hyperbole is fun, but reality, much more gratifying...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576

Back to top Go down

Post by basedballer Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:27 pm

gonzaga fans are something else.

basedballer
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:58 am

ekrauss wrote:I know lots of old-time Spokane Gonzaga fans who were around pre-WCC days. They aren't the ones saying this sort of stuff. It's the newbies who aren't from Spokane who arrived on the WCC scene after the Zag run started who are spewing this sort of BS. And they're also the same delusional ones who wish Mark Few would take the Oregon job because they think he's a lousy coach because he hasn't led the Zags to multiple Final Fours.

I couldn´t agree more. That´s why I enjoy Pilot Nation. The old timers bring a lot of perspective to this site. I´m also really glad that our basketball fans aren´t spoiled by success yet. Most years a third place finish in the conference and making it to the semifinal of our conference tourney is a very good season. That´s not to say that we aren´t looking to improve... But, for me at least, the memories of watching our point guard accidentally hit a forward in the back of the head with the ball while trying to run the fast break are still fresh in my mind. Every small bit of success is a breath of fresh air in my book. Smile
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down