Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soooo..... Glanville

+5
PilotNut
DaTruRochin
Stonehouse
mikemac65
Geezaldinho
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Soooo..... Glanville Empty Soooo..... Glanville

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:25 am

Jerry's out, if you haven't heard by now.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=125839563980448800

I feel bad for Jerry, and for PSU that he couldn't get it to work,

The guy I don't feel so bad for is Canzano, who for three years put Jerry on the list of most influential paople in Oregon Sports.

And left off... well, you know.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Soooo..... Glanville Empty Re: Soooo..... Glanville

Post by Guest Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:40 am

Too bad for the program; it regressed under Glanville. PSU football is a tough gig. The smaller state schools down the valley suck up all the energy for football, and I sense little or no enthusiasm for the Vikings.

Is there an example of a commuter school that is also a successful big-time football school? Perhaps South Florida recently?

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemac65 Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:34 pm

Ah! The snake oil salesman is gone. BooHoo. Glanville was a joke and has always been a joke! Rant He didn't help PSU at all. Face it Walsh was a much better coach. I still think that PSU should have remained a level down. The previous president ( I believe her name was Ramally) could only boast of raising PSU to a higher athletic division. Then she split town very quickly. I'm old!

mikemac65
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 141

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:49 pm

Personally I see no reason why a school like Portland State, if adequately funded, can't be competitive with the likes of Weber State, Sacramento State, Northern Arizona, Eastern Washington, etc. The Montana schools have a great tradition and are the "darlings" of their state, but PSU is basically on the same playing field in terms of being a "stepchild" to bigger, flashier state schools with the rest of the Big Sky.

Glanville couldn't get it done... didn't bring in the right type of system or players. Get a good college coach in there, and you'll see results.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:51 pm

So if you build it, they will come? I heard that somewhere...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:01 pm

Exactly!

What drives me crazy sometimes is when a moribund program hired a "big name" coach in the hopes that that will generate buzz and interest. It can for a little bit, but if that coach doesn't deliver results... it's useless.

Get someone who can help you build a program and win games, and interest will follow. Winning does that. Vet, vet, vet your candidates and get the right guy. If you're patient, it generally will work.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:07 pm

Will PSU football still be played at PGE/Civic when it becomes an MLS stadium? Football really benefits from the whole pre-game tailgate atmosphere, which is not practical currently.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:33 pm

up7587 wrote:Will PSU football still be played at PGE/Civic when it becomes an MLS stadium? Football really benefits from the whole pre-game tailgate atmosphere, which is not practical currently.

Civic Stadium will be a much improved american football venue after the MLS remodel; not only from the general stadium upgrades, but with seats along the far sideline. In the current configuration, it is a dismal stadium atmoshpere for soccer or football. Add this "stadium experience" with the poor Win/Loss record and the lack of the tail-gating/pre-game traditions, etc, and you get the current results--poor attendance, lack of media/city interest, etc. I would think a casual football fan like myself would go check out games if the overall experience was more appealing...

Add on top of that, PSU's inability to fund raise to build the necessary support facilities... they just cant compete with the top half of the BSC. (I am still also even more baffled at the lack of progress to replace the Stott Center, with the recent success of the basketball program... a failure to capitalize on the opportunity; is there even the basics of a plan yet?! A fundraising strategy? confused Bueller?).

The new MLS configuration will help significantly. A new coach, with some wins, will help. I really agree that the tail gate/pre-game part needs to be worked out. Unfortunately there arent really even enough streets to block off around the stadium, and the whole shuttle bus thing isnt appealing... so what are the alternatives? try to get the bars/restaurants around there to do events? Trash the football field at Lincoln HS?

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:29 pm

Well I know the Timbers have pre-game stuff and whatnot not too far away sometimes, perhaps that space could be looked into (it won't be huge, but you need to start...) I mean hell, you could even rent out some of the South Park blocks near campus or even the North Park blocks too It isn't THAT far away, people walk that far to Autzen and whatnot, heck even a shuttle service could be set up!

Since it is a commuter school, bringing in the community is really the only way to really build tradition without that core of on campus students.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:38 pm

it's official

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=125839563980448800
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:36 pm

A few answers:

Yes, PSU will still share with the Timbers. Portland State actually helped out with the MLS bid and supported the campaign to remodel the park because they knew it was going to help their program as well.

There is a stretch of the street across from the stadium, next to a bar that is closed and used as a place for tailgating before games. Drummer is in the band that plays the PSU games. Maybe he can say a few things about pre-game or the atmosphere at Viking games. I can tell you the game I went to this year the crowd was pretty tame until the Vikings mounted a comeback. Not anywhere near a Timbers crowd in terms of size or energy.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:48 pm

Haha well in general soccer energy and football energy are a completely different type of equation... I mean you only have to be loud when your team is on defense in football, haha and even then, it's only for about 10-15 seconds of sustained noise...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:10 pm

I can't speak to pregame because the games I did make this year I made in time for the GAME. The atmosphere is so-so. Last few games were cold and/or wet, so that puts a serious damper on fans (not sure if that was weather or fans of a program that had a terrible year).

I had a lot of fun at the game the TA was there for, though. Tried not to heckle TOO much from the band.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:02 pm

Short list announced:
San Diego State offensive coordinator Al Borges
former Army coach Stan
Brock
Nevada defensive coordinator Nigel Burton
Cal Poly defensive
coordinator Greg Lupfer
Willamette coach Mark Speckman

Largely smaller school coaches/assistants with experience in a "PSU-like" program... Not flashy like the Glanville/Davis hire, but hopefully with some substance this time around...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:29 pm

Bobby Bowden is available...maybe he could pull an Eddie Sutton at USF so that he can keep pace with JoePa.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:42 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:A few answers:

Yes, PSU will still share with the Timbers. Portland State actually helped out with the MLS bid and supported the campaign to remodel the park because they knew it was going to help their program as well.

There is a stretch of the street across from the stadium, next to a bar that is closed and used as a place for tailgating before games. Drummer is in the band that plays the PSU games. Maybe he can say a few things about pre-game or the atmosphere at Viking games. I can tell you the game I went to this year the crowd was pretty tame until the Vikings mounted a comeback. Not anywhere near a Timbers crowd in terms of size or energy.

Please don't leave any hashmarks for the real futbol games. That's one of my pet peeves of watching games at a few of the MLS stadiums...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:05 pm

They won't, it will be the same line removal process they use up in Seattle
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:16 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:They won't, it will be the same line removal process they use up in Seattle

How do they do that? I've always wondered... are the lines painted on, and then the paint is stripped/scrubbed off? Or, are small parts of the turf actually taken up and replaced? Or....? scratch

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:19 pm

They are painted on as you would on grass, and i think there is a chemical scrub process that takes them off and on (to very good effect I might add)...

Haha just don't tell the protesting nutjobs know, they will probably picket saying the line removing chemical causes E. coli in the water reservoirs or something...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:23 pm

Ahhh, remember the good ol' days of the mounds of white chalk dust for lines? And inevitably getting it in your eyes.... Mad

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:26 pm

I know when the Timbers went to the playoffs this year, the second game of the championship series would have been the same weekend as a PSU football game. Management was VERY quick to assure the fans there was no way the gridiron lines would be there during the Timbers game. Sadly it did not turn out to be an issue. Sad

Some people in the Timbers Army volunteered to spent that Saturday night helping to wash the gridiron lines off. I think they were only half-joking...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:30 pm

PilotNut wrote:Ahhh, remember the good ol' days of the mounds of white chalk dust for lines? And inevitably getting it in your eyes.... Mad

Indeed, haha that or pouring gasoline or other chemicals to "burn" the lines into the field. Ridiculous.

And fret not PPT, the Seachickens/Sounders have had home games the same weekend and you couldn't tell one field was used for the other...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:33 pm

I once played a rugby game on a field that was marked for football, soccer, and lacrosse. Once the game started I didn't even notice the other lines. Well, some people did, because they ran out of bounds before they even noticed. Silly.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:06 am

The search is over for Jerry's replacement.

It's the Wolfpack's Defensive coordinator, Nigel Burton, an ex Husky.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=126016316653673500

I like it. a second tier program willing to take a chance on a young guy with promise.

Infinitely better than an old retread who leaves tickets for dead men.

The only question left is if Canzano already has him on his list of most influential people in Oregon Sports.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:06 am

He probably already has a plaque up in our Hall of Fame Room...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next