Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots vs. Denver, Friday 11/13/09, Merlo Field

+22
harryb
wyeast
fan from afar
color me purple
UPonhigh
Puckswami
fwill
pilotram
runner girl
ekrauss
onetouchfutbol
PurplePrideTrumpet
ShipstadPilot11
FANatic
DaTruRochin
Stonehouse
Geezaldinho
SoreKnees
UPSoccerFanatic
fozziewozzie
A_Fan
PilotNut
26 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Pilots vs. Denver, Friday 11/13/09, Merlo Field - Page 2 Empty Re: Pilots vs. Denver, Friday 11/13/09, Merlo Field

Post by Puckswami Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:22 pm

As a Denver Fan, we'd kill to be in the WCC. In fact, we offered financial incentives to join back in 1999 when the school went back to D-I in all sports, but since the WCC said no, we were forced into the Sun Belt in many sports, which is a terrible fit for us geographically - we are used to flying to most games in most sports. We fit the WCC profile almost perfectly in all but geography- no football, private with strong academics, 10,000 students with about 5K undergrads. Founded in 1864, and similar tuition costs to most WCC schools. A majority of DU students come from outside Colorado, many from California, the northwest, Texas, Chicago and the East Coast, many of them affluent B+ to A- types who like to ski.

Denver is best known athletically as a national power in ice hockey (7 NCAA titles) and Skiing (20 NCAA titles). The hockey team draws 5,000-6,000 fans for every game and is the primary revenue generator for the school. We have out homecoming game in hockey, and play in a league with schools like Minnesota, Wisconsin and North Dakota.

Soccer is an up-and-coming sport at Denver, and the school just built a brand new 2,000 seat stadium this year, and added lights for night play. Women play in the Sun Belt, our men play in the MPSF.

This year's woman's soccer team is decent, but not as deep as previous Denver teams in the last 7-8 years. I don't imagine Portland will have that much trouble with us this weekend. We'd need a major stroke of luck to score and perfect goaltending to have a chance for an upset.

Puckswami
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2007-11-15

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. Denver, Friday 11/13/09, Merlo Field - Page 2 Empty Re: Pilots vs. Denver, Friday 11/13/09, Merlo Field

Post by A_Fan Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:47 pm

Puckswami, thanks for the update on DU. It does sound like they would be a good fit in the WCC. Good luck to your girls this weekend.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:06 pm

Puckswami wrote:As a Denver Fan, we'd kill to be in the WCC. In fact, we offered financial incentives to join back in 1999 when the school went back to D-I in all sports, but since the WCC said no, we were forced into the Sun Belt in many sports, which is a terrible fit for us geographically - we are used to flying to most games in most sports. We fit the WCC profile almost perfectly in all but geography- no football, private with strong academics, 10,000 students with about 5K undergrads. Founded in 1864, and similar tuition costs to most WCC schools. A majority of DU students come from outside Colorado, many from California, the northwest, Texas, Chicago and the East Coast, many of them affluent B+ to A- types who like to ski.

Denver is best known athletically as a national power in ice hockey (7 NCAA titles) and Skiing (20 NCAA titles). The hockey team draws 5,000-6,000 fans for every game and is the primary revenue generator for the school. We have out homecoming game in hockey, and play in a league with schools like Minnesota, Wisconsin and North Dakota.

Soccer is an up-and-coming sport at Denver, and the school just built a brand new 2,000 seat stadium this year, and added lights for night play. Women play in the Sun Belt, our men play in the MPSF.

This year's woman's soccer team is decent, but not as deep as previous Denver teams in the last 7-8 years. I don't imagine Portland will have that much trouble with us this weekend. We'd need a major stroke of luck to score and perfect goaltending to have a chance for an upset.

welcome to PilotNation.

Despite the trash talking, we take Denver as a serious opponent. You popped us for a loss in 2003, when we still had a good piece of the Championship team together. That's not forgotten.

Take heart, I think Denver made another run at the WCC, and I think they may actually be front runners along with Pacific and maybe Seattle when the conference expands in a couple of years.

the only problem I see is the name. Are we going to have to rename it the WCCATSITMOTC? (the West Coast Conference and that school in the middle of the country).

I've seen pictures of the Venue, BTW. what a great Place for soccer!
Pilots vs. Denver, Friday 11/13/09, Merlo Field - Page 2 EKYZWMQVAUKDEEO.20090910213238

http://www.denverpioneers.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?&PALBID=356256&DB_OEM_ID=18600&FLASH=YES

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11811
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by UPonhigh Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:08 pm

Does anyone know if the game will be broadcast anywhere?

UPonhigh
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:33 pm

Thanks and welcome, Puckswami! I definitely feel like Denver would be an excellent addition to the WCC, and I know lots of fans from other conference schools feel the same way. I too heard about those financial incentives - from what I understand, Denver offered to help offset travel costs incurred by the longer flights, etc. So they definitely want in.

In terms of where the game will be broadcast, there will be live audio (free) and live video (for a cost) at PortlandPilots.com I don't think it will be on T anywhere.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:02 pm

Any chance of a sellout and free on-campus video?

Didn't you guys have beer party's on-campus in years past with free video, or was that only for road games?
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. Denver, Friday 11/13/09, Merlo Field - Page 2 Empty Oregonian preview

Post by PilotNut Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:39 pm

LINK

Washington, Mississippi and Denver look to eliminate the Portland Pilots when NCAA Tournament begins Friday

By Aaron Fentress, The Oregonian

November 11, 2009, 8:06PM

The University of Portland will begin its NCAA Tournament run by facing a University of Denver team that Pilots coach Garrett Smith said is capable of giving his team trouble.

But only if the Pilots, ranked second in the national coaches poll and one of four No. 2 seeds in the 64-team tournament, don't play up to their high standards.

"It's a team that we must take seriously," Smith said. "(Denver coach Jeff Hooker) can put some things together that could make our lives difficult. But if we play well, it's a game we should win."

Friday's first-round doubleheader at the Clive Charles Soccer Complex begins at 4 p.m. with Washington (11-5-4) facing Mississippi (13-5-2). At 7 p.m., the No. 2 Pilots (18-1) take on the Pioneers (17-5-1).

Of the three other teams, Portland is most familiar with Washington. The two teams have met 31 times, including every season since 1991, with Portland leading the series 24-6-1.

Portland has a 4-1 record against Denver and won the last meeting 5-0 in 2007. The Pilots have never faced Mississippi.

Smith has watched tape of Denver since the tournament field was announced Monday but said doing so isn't as important as it might seem. Smith called Booker a friend and a great coach who puts his team in position to win. But, Smith said, the outcome Friday would come down to how well his team plays.

"It's not so much about what they are doing as it is more about what we're doing," Smith said.

Here's a look at the three visiting teams this weekend:

Denver: The Pioneers, fresh off winning their fourth consecutive Sun Belt Conference championship, placed five players on the all-conference team.

Denver ranks 32nd in the nation in scoring (2.09 goals per game) and 60th in goals-against average (.848).

All-conference forwards Kaitlin Bast and Mariah Johnston lead Denver's offense. Bast ranks 59th in the country in points per game (1.35) and 76th in goals per game (.522). Johnston ranks 11th in assists per game (.57).

Goalkeeper Lara Campbell ranks 33rd in save percentage (.853).

Denver defeated Portland 4-3 in overtime in 2003, the season after the Pilots' first national championship.

"I'm actually surprised not to see Portland with the number one seed," Hooker told denverpioneers.com. "For us, it's a good place to play. It's a great stadium and atmosphere. We look forward to the challenge."

Washington: The Huskies went 3-3-3 in the Pacific-10 Conference, which placed eight teams in the tournament. Probably their most impressive victory came against California, 1-0. Washington played to a 2-2 tie in double overtime against No. 21 USC and to a 1-1 tie in double overtime against No. 18 Washington State.

The Huskies ranked 106th in scoring (1.55 goals per game) and 100th in goals-against average (1.005).

Veronica Perez and McKenna Waitley tied for the team lead in goals with six each. Waitley led the team with five assists.

Mississippi: The Rebels are making their first tournament appearance since 2005.

Mississippi's biggest nonconference win was a 3-2 victory in double overtime over No. 9 Florida. The Rebels also defeated Georgia 1-0.

Among the visiting teams, the Rebels are closest statistically to the Pilots. Mississippi ranks 24th in the country in scoring (2.15 goals per game) and 18th in goals-against average (0.626).

Portland leads the nation in scoring (3.79) and ranked third in goals-against (.368).

The Rebels are led by Hannah Weatherly, who ranks 63rd in points per game (1.31) and 45th in goals per game (0.563).

Goalkeeper Alley Ronaldi ranks 31st in goals-against average (.658).

– Aaron Fentress

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:02 pm

Stonehouse wrote:
In terms of where the game will be broadcast, there will be live audio (free) and live video (for a cost) at PortlandPilots.com I don't think it will be on T anywhere.

Actually. Stoney, I think there are Tournament broadcast rights issues with the NCAA. The effect is, that we can't charge for broadcast. Since Stretchnet is fee only, I don't think we can use it.

I think the last time this happened, I we went through the Conference on CSTV, which is free. That may be what happen ultimately, but we'll just have to wait and see.

FANatic may get his wish.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11811
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by color me purple Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:07 pm

I only believe there is live audio, no video based on what I am seeing on the Portland web site. I am sure it has somthing to do with the fact that it is the NCAA playoffs and not the regular season where Portland would have the video feed (for a fee)

color me purple
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:04 pm

Oh please let us get UW in the second game...
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:08 pm

Another welcome, Puckswami. I'm a little slow, so I just figured out your name. My wife is a Denver native and my older daughter was born at St Joseph's hospital. My wife's grandfather went to CC, as did my younger daughter. My wife's father went to DU law school and was Chief Judge of the Colorado Court of Appeals. She still owns half of a tennis court in the middle of the block on Pontiac, near 11th. Her great grandmother's family built it around the turn of the century. Doesn't do us much good, living out here in Portland. Sure hope it works out with DU and the WCC. Then, we have an excuse to travel to Denver every other year.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:58 pm

coldsmokeCO wrote:Oh please let us get UW in the second game...
Certainly I don't need to say how nice it would be to play Washington, but there are some South-specific chants I can pass on to the students if we should play Ole Miss. I look at as a win-win.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:19 pm

Personally, I'd like to play Mississippi. We've already played UW.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:07 pm

SoreKnees wrote:Personally, I'd like to play Mississippi. We've already played UW.

I'd like to play them too. But, I'd rather have UW win.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by runner girl Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:34 pm

Free live video! Woo-hoo!

runner girl
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:28 pm

runner girl wrote:Free live video! Woo-hoo!

What do you care - you'll be at the game. On the other hand, GREAT!!!! for me.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by runner girl Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:11 pm

Actually, I won't be at tonight's game. I will be there Sunday, though.

runner girl
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:34 pm

Whew... Very opportunistic near post flick for a goal by Sophie...

Oh and btw those wondering, Sophie slid up to forward and Burke replaced Michelle in the starting lineup in the central mid.

Thus far Portland is dominating posession and keeping the ball down on the Pioneer end of the field. There were a few counterattack attempts by DU that were snuffed out by Kelsey and the D.

Pilots are just starting to really get stronger opportunities and putting pressure on the GK
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:54 pm

I made the mistake of trying to take the laptop to multitask in the basement, apparently I missed a Foxhoven goal... I can't paint that picture for you, I'm assuming it was a bicycle kick from about 25 yards that physically knocked the opposing keeper into the goal along with the ball. At least that's what I'm assuming...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:57 pm

DTR, that's exactly what happened. Keeper actually needed medical attention but stayed in the game...
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:56 pm

What's with Merlo bringing out naughtiness in opposing coaches come tournament time?
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:00 pm

Final score: Pilots 4, Denver 0!

Pilots advance!

Goal Celebration!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by wyeast Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:29 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:What's with Merlo bringing out naughtiness in opposing coaches come tournament time?

Not to dwell on the negative, but what transpired for the Denver asst coach to get a red card?

wyeast
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2007-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post by harryb Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:43 pm

The second goal was a nice piece of work by Taylor Brooke, juking a defender on the end line and crossing it to Danielle who finished it. Taylor had just come in for Kendra about a minute before.

Last edited by harryb on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add'l info)
harryb
harryb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by harryb Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:45 pm

The Denver coach had already gotten a yellow card for saying something after a call was made on a corner kick. I don't know what the call was. Obviously you can't have offside on a corner kick.
harryb
harryb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next