Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USD -- or, Win out, Baby

+8
PurplePrideTrumpet
SoreKnees
UPSoccerFanatic
A_Fan
Poopdeck Pappy
Harry Redknapp
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
12 posters

Go down

USD -- or, Win out, Baby Empty USD -- or, Win out, Baby

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:54 pm

OK, we figure this one's a gimme.

At Home, Senior Day, we swept the rest of the conference, National TV, great home crowd....They lost to St MARY's and Bakersfield for god's sake. They are 2-4-1 on the road, we are about 92-0 at home (or something).

Look at it from their side, though. They beat Santa Clara 2-1 in a game that wasn't a fluke. They tied UCLA. They actually have a better record than Santa Clara. Hell, they have a better record than Penn State, who's ranked 10th in the RPI.

And they need this win bad if the want to go on. (and I'm sure they do)

Their RPI is 43, which is usually right at the cusp of the teams that make it. a win and they will impress and they are are surely in. a

A loss..... who knows? probably not.

I'm going to iron the PiloNation shirt, polish the cowbell, dig out the old clacker balloons (the new ones are designed to make no noise). maybe put some Pliny in a sippy cup and hand it to a kid I walk in with. They'll never catch me.

I have a bag of Pokies to practice with..... just sayin'
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

USD -- or, Win out, Baby Empty Re: USD -- or, Win out, Baby

Post by PilotNut Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:25 am

Alright, Geez is bringing it! Twisted Evil Great points, and we should not, can not, will not let up!

Let's take it to the Toreros, win the WCC outright, and secure our #1 seed.

The fans need to bring their A game, too. Merlo Field on a Friday Night, Senior Night, for the WCC Crown... LETS GO PILOTS!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

USD -- or, Win out, Baby Empty 7 games

Post by Harry Redknapp Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:01 am

I don't believe that Garrett will let this team take anything for granted. I don't think that Kelsey or Sophie or Keelin will be anything other than fierce.

It's now a 7 game season - win 'em and you are national champs.

My only concern at this stage of the season is the health and fitness of Michelle O, Cloee, and Kassie.

MO has played in several games but did not feature on Sunday: not sure what the problem was/is, but would love to see her back there.

Cloee has not set foot on the field other than to jog on it for months. Unless she bounces back very soon (this weekend?) it looks increasingly like a redshirt season and no contribution from her. Sad

Kassie has played some time, but again, it's hard to see a major contribution from her right now.

Megan and Kristen have played pretty well in the past month. We won't know if they are up to the challenge of UNC, Stanford, and company until we play them, I guess.

I really don't mean this as a dig, honestly, but my biggest concern is that Megan - who has a heart the size of Kansas and will fight to the end, is only 5'2" and has to make up in determination and smarts what she lacks in speed. Against a tall two-pronged strike force she is at a huge disadvantage.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Poopdeck Pappy Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:42 am

The back line is my concern as well. At the beginning of the season I thought that we were rich in center backs with Michelle O, Kassie, and Cloee vying for only two spots. I was wondering who would be the odd woman out. I sure didn't anticipate that all three of them would be riding the pines with injuries at the end of the regular season. Now I'm thinking that Garrett may be reluctant to change what is working. He may want to stick with the girl that he brought to the dance and leave the back line alone through the playoffs.
Poopdeck Pappy
Poopdeck Pappy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:23 am

Agreed Pappy, it is going to be a hard decision for Garrett. If MO is healthy I can see her coming back for the playoffs, but the other two have missed so much playing time that it would be dicey bringing them back as starters this late in the season. Who sits if MO does come back is tough. Megan and Kristen have played admirably this season and probably deserve to continue to be the starters. I don't know Garrett nor his staff but if I were in their shoes it would be a decision I would be agonizing over.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:29 pm

Imagine this: we just got a call offering us two extra tickets for the game!

San Diego's record this year, courtesy of nc-soccer:

8/21/2009 vs. Cal St. Northridge 10-9-0 W 3-0
8/23/2009 at. Cal St. Bakersfield 6-11-2 L 1-2
8/28/2009 vs. UCLA 15-2-1 T 1-1
8/30/2009 at. Arizona 4-13-1 W 4-1
9/4/2009 vs. Ohio St. 14-2-2 L 0-3
9/6/2009 vs. Cal St. Fullerton 6-8-5 W 2-0
9/11/2009 vs. #Rutgers 13-3-4 W 2-1
9/13/2009 vs. #Brown 5-8-1 W 1-0
9/18/2009 at. Kansas 12-7-1 L 0-5
9/20/2009 vs. #Missouri St. 9-5-3 W 1-0
10/2/2009 at. Southern California 12-6-0 L 0-4
10/7/2009 at. Long Beach St. 5-11-3 T 0-0
10/11/2009 vs. *Santa Clara 12-6-1 W 1-0
10/16/2009 at. *St. Mary's (Cal.) 9-10-0 L 1-2
10/18/2009 at. *San Francisco 5-6-5 W 3-2
10/23/2009 vs. *Loyola Marymount 10-6-2 W 3-0
10/25/2009 vs. *Pepperdine 10-7-1 W 2-0
10/30/2009 vs. *Gonzaga 8-11-0 W 5-1
11/1/2009 vs. Seattle 7-11-1 W 2-1
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:13 pm

Striking difference between home and away results for USD. Pretty impressive at home (UCLA, Santa Clara, Rutgers, other WCC games) and pretty weak away (Bakersfield, Kansas, LBSU, SMC, USF). I'm glad this is a home game!
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:54 pm

I don't care where we're playing them, except that I get to be there since they're at Merlo.

GO PILOTS
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:39 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:OK, we figure this one's a gimme.
scratch
Who's we?
Razz
I think we're about to face another quality opponent.

Villa boys: I want a playoff atmosphere Friday night! We're on TV. Show everyone why this is Soccer City, USA. I don't care if it's supposed to rain. No excuses, no questions.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:14 pm

PortlandPilots.com Release

Game Information

The No. 2 Portland Pilots will conclude the 2009 regular season with the outright West Coast Conference title on the line this Friday. Portland will host the San Diego Toreros (12-5-2, 5-1-0 WCC) in a nationally televised match with kickoff set for 8 p.m. at Merlo Field at the Clive Charles Soccer Complex. It will be also be Senior Night for four Portland players who will make their final appearance in a regular season game at Merlo Field.

Game Coverage

Sunday’s game will be televised live on ESPNU with Sam Gore and Krista Blunk calling the action. Live statistics and free live audio for the game will also be available at portlandpilots.com.

Pilots Briefly...

• The Pilots defeated No. 14 Santa Clara 1-0 on Sunday at Buck Shaw Stadium

• It marked the first road win for the Pilots at Santa Clara since 1997

• Michelle Enyeart notched the game-winner in the fourth minute and was named the WCC Player of the Week for the third time this season

• Portland has clinched at least a share of its 11th WCC Championship and can post a perfect league 7-0-0 record for the fifth time with a win on Friday

• Portland has outscored WCC opponents 31-1 through six matches

• The Pilots have won 10 straight matches, outscoring opponents 47-2 over that stretch

• Three Pilots have earned national player of the week honors a combined six times in 10 weeks

• Portland is 9-0 this season at home and averaging 3,558 fans per game

• The Pilots lead the nation in scoring (3.89) and are third in goals-against average (0.39)

• Foxhoven leads the nation in points per game (2.94) and goals per game (1.24)

• Foxhoven, Michelle Enyeart and Sophie Schmidt is the only teammate trio with 10 or more goals in the nation

• The most goals scored by a Pilot team in school history is 79 (‘05); 2009 Pilots have 70

• The Pilots are No. 3 in the latest NCAA RPI release, announced on Tuesday, Nov. 3

• Portland in the national polls this week:

- TopDrawerSoccer.com #2; NSCAA #2; Soccer America #2; Soccer Times #2

• Kelsey Davis was named one of 10 finalists for the 2009 Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award

• Portland will have no national team conflicts for the first time since winning the 2005 NCAA title

• Head coach Garrett Smith has a 133-18-7 record in his seventh year at the helm

• Pilots logged the sixth 20-win season in school history last year and third in the last six years

• UP has two NCAA titles (2002, 2005) and eight NCAA College Cup appearances

Scouting San Diego

The Toreros (12-5-2, 5-1-0 WCC) defeated Gonzaga (5-1) and Seattle University (2-1) last weekend to keep their hopes for a WCC title alive. In Friday’s win over the Zags, Elissa Magracia scored at the 2:36 mark, then just a minute later Stephanie Ochs scored the game-winner on a break-away to give USD a 2-0 lead. Jackie Zinke, Mariah Hobbs and Erica Peeples capped the scoring. In Sunday’s win over Seattle, Christine Mock and Ochs provided the goals. Ochs leads the Toreros with six goals and eight assists. Mock adds five goals and one helper. Courtney Parsons is the primary goalkeeper for San Diego and posts a 1.11 goals-against average and seven shutouts. The Toreros have played a tough schedule with good results. USD has wins over Rutgers (2-1) and Santa Clara (1-0) and also tied UCLA (1-1). Key losses have come to Ohio State (3-0), Kansas (5-0) and USC (4-0). Head coach Ada Greenwood is in his seventh year at the helm of the Toreros with a career record of 91-49-14. Greenwood led USD to the second round of last year’s NCAA playoffs as the team finished with a 15-3-3 overall record. He returned eight starters and 21 letterwinners to the roster this year. Portland owns a 12-2-2 all-time record against the Toreros, including a 4-1 victory at USD last season. The Pilots are currently riding an eight-match unbeaten streak against the Toreros, including five consecutive wins. Both UP losses were by 1-0 margins during the 1999 and 2000 seasons.

Pilots Continue WCC Dominance

Portland has clinched at least a share of its 11th WCC regular season title in 18 years affiliated with the league and posts a 102-13-6 (.868) all-time against WCC competition. A win over San Diego would mark the fifth time the Pilots have won the league with a perfect 7-0-0 record. Through six matches, the Pilots have outscored WCC opponents 31-1.

Among the National Leaders

Portland leads the nation in scoring (3.89), is second in W-L percentage (.944) and third in both shutout percentage (.722) and goals-against average (0.389). Danielle Foxhoven leads the nation in points per game (2.94) and goals per game (1.24), while Michelle Enyeart is third in assists per game (0.71) and seventh in points (2.22). Kelsey Davis ranks fourth individually in goals-against average (.039).

Foxhoven Approaching UP Leaders

With 21 goals scored this season, Danielle Foxhoven is one shy of cracking UP’s single-season top 10. Only three players are currently on the list: Christine Sinclair, Tiffeny Milbrett and Shannon MacMillan. Sinclair is the single-season leader with 39 goals in 2005, while Milbrett is next with 30 goals in 1992 and 1994. With 37 career goals, Foxhoven is already tied for seventh on the UP charts and her 88 points are tied for 10th.

Bermuda Triangle

Portland is the only team in the nation to have three players with 10 or more goals, according to collegesoccer360.com. Foxhoven (21), Enyeart (13) and Schmidt (10) comprise the highest scoring trio in the nation.

Davis: Lowe’s Senior CLASS Finalist

Kelsey Davis has been named one of 10 women’s soccer finalists for the 2009 Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award, presented to one NCAA Division I individual per sport. Online fan voting is available right now at seniorclassaward.com. Fan votes will be combined with votes from coaches and media to determine the recipient of the award. Eligible student-athletes must be classified as an NCAA Division I senior and have notable achievements in four areas of excellence – classroom, character, community and competition. Davis looks to follow in the footsteps of former Pilot teammate Stephanie Cox, who was the inaugural women’s soccer winner in 2007.

Home Sweet Home

Portland has led the nation in average attending four years in a row and 2009 is off to a good start too. A standing room only crowd of 5,068 (the third largest crowd in Merlo Field history) witnessed a 4-0 Pilot win over California in the season opener. Through nine games, Portland is averaging 3,558 fans.

Last year, Portland established a new single-season total attendance record for women’s soccer (47,082) breaking the previous mark of 47,035 set by Texas A&M in 2007. The program also led the nation in average attendance (3,622).

The home field advantage over the years is quite apparent as the Pilots post a 184-20-7 (.889) home record at Merlo Field since its inception in 1990.

Portland led the nation in average attendance the previous three seasons as well. 3,403 in 2005, 3408 in 2006 and 3,771 in 2007. The average attendance in 2007 established a new school record and is the second most in NCAA women’s soccer history for a single season. Only North Carolina’s 2001 average of 3,983 was higher. Portland was the first program to ever eclipse 40,000 fans in a season during its run to the 2005 championship.
PortlandPilots.com Release
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:54 pm

No brag, just fact: Pilots will rule tonight. The visitors from San Diego will hate the November NW weather (even if it never rains at Merlo). Section B will be hooting and hollering.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:56 pm

Word on the street is that Kristen Kelly is ill and is unlikely to play tonight.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:00 pm

Better now than next week
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:01 pm

Hate to see anyone out sick, especially Kristen who has been very goodin the back, but perhaps we'll see MO or Kassie in her place. It would be nice to get some playing time for one or both of them going into the playoffs.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down