Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

week 5 Polls and RPI

+7
DaTruRochin
aleppiek
FSUfan
UPSoccerFanatic
fan from afar
onetouchfutbol
Geezaldinho
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

week 5 Polls and RPI - Page 2 Empty Re: week 5 Polls and RPI

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:17 pm

Haha and I love the fact that even with the BCS we can still have co-champions... Whoops... I'm just shocked they logically kept moving BSU up in spite of them not playing "elite" teams right now. We'll see what happens when the SEC/Big 12 teams start beating each other up...

Anyway... Back to women's soccer... Honestly since it really has little bearing on what happens (And the mystical tournament selection committee uses tea leaves for bracketing as far as I can tell), the polls are more "for fun" than anything.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:23 pm

It's so early. Why not wait for some giants to fall and get further into Pac-10 play before complaining. Being ranked highly isn't always an advantage. Why not enjoy not having a target on your back for a little while?
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:26 pm

To be honest I could care less where the Ducks are ranked, I just think it is asinine that Cal is 6 spots higher then they are in the coaches poll after being brutalized by 39 points. Just seems silly to me.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:28 pm

Although come to think of it... A target on the back would make a pretty sweet T-shirt idea....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:30 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:Although come to think of it... A target on the back would make a pretty sweet T-shirt idea....

Hmmmm. Curious.
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:40 pm

Hmmm, a Purple and White Target?
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:58 pm

I agree that polls are always going to be flawed, but sometimes pollsters are put in a tough spot. One example could be at the end of last year with the Big 12 South teams all having one loss and being to eachother, a loss-triangle if you will. But generally it is very frustrating to see "your" team behind another team that it already beat...especially if by a wide margin and very close in the polls.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:59 pm

aleppiek wrote:Hmmm, a Purple and White Target?

Also, like that idea.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:10 pm

Consider it on the docket for definite future shirts.... Perfect to begin the season after our 3rd NC, eh? (haha or just for the fun of it anyway)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

week 5 Polls and RPI - Page 2 Empty Fantastic Resource!

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:43 pm

If you haven't already, check out this webpage: http://www.nc-soccer.com/wsoccer/2009/

The Geez has mentioned this new resource, but I want to emphasize its importance. Explore around the site, it's the very best source available for Division I women's soccer schedules and game results.

One really exciting feature of the site isn't immediately apparent. It works with Firefox and a couple of other browsers (but not with Internet Explorer). To try it out, scroll down to Portland. Then, move your cursor to the Unadjusted RPI column. Click on the Pilots' Unadjusted RPI block. What should come up is a graph that shows the evolution of the Pilots' RPI Elements 1, 2, and 3 and Unadjusted RPI since the beginning of the season! You can do this for any team.

The project is run by a North Carolina fan. I've been working with him on maintaining a master schedule, and the Geez has been helping with having the game results information be the most complete and accurate of any of the available sources. This has been a great plus for me in doing my RPI work.

This new resource, plus the RPI website, plus the recruiting website that we all refer to, are great resources for Division I women's college soccer fans. FYI, the recruiting website is maintained by a Notre Dame fan. These all are "state of the art" information sources and, based on what I've seen, are at least equal to what is available for any college sport in terms of currentness, completeness, and the provision of basic information about schedules, results, and the RPI.

I know I'm nuts, but to me this is a really exciting development in the evolution of DI women's soccer fandom.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:20 am

UPSF: I'm not sure that "Fanatic" does justice to your interest and devotion. Is it time to bust out the thesaurus and "upgrade" your name?

Seriously though, it is fans like you, Geez, NC and ND that add so much to college sports; keep up the good work!
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:18 am

UPSF, Why have you not gotten together with these gentleman to create one super website? A collaboration would be EPIC!
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:47 am

I have one suggestion you might want to pass on to the person in charge of the site. How about freezing the column titles so that as you scroll down you can still see which column is which.

Also once one brings up the graph how do you get rid of it without leaving the site and returning? I've not been able to figure out how to do so

Thanks.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:43 am

A_Fan wrote:I have one suggestion you might want to pass on to the person in charge of the site. How about freezing the column titles so that as you scroll down you can still see which column is which.

Also once one brings up the graph how do you get rid of it without leaving the site and returning? I've not been able to figure out how to do so

Thanks.

The chart should go away as soon as you move the cursor outside of the box you clicked in.

BTW, if you click on the name of a conference in the column next to the team name, a complete conference listing will come up on a popup on the right.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:08 am

It doesn't go away for me. It sits on top of the original webpage. I'm able to scroll the original page under the pop-up, but cannot make the pop-up close. If with the first pop-up open, I click on the pop-up for another school, it pops up in the same pop-up window as the first one, but still won't let me close it.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:27 pm

A_Fan wrote:It doesn't go away for me. It sits on top of the original webpage. I'm able to scroll the original page under the pop-up, but cannot make the pop-up close. If with the first pop-up open, I click on the pop-up for another school, it pops up in the same pop-up window as the first one, but still won't let me close it.

The box now has a close button in the upper left hand corner, a new addition since you entered this post.

Every day the site gets better. I'm in awe of what he has been able to do in a short period of time.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:29 am

It works, thanks for the update.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:05 am

I think GoCourage has changed the RPI popup, and I think for the better.

Not only can you use the close button in the window, now a second mouse click in the adjusted RPI column makes the RPI window go away. if that mouse click is on another team in the column, that team's chart will appear.

I also "discovered" that the data points on the four lines are active. That is, if you hover the cursor on one of the lines, the value at that point on the line will appear at the tp of the window where he Unadjusted RPI is when the window first appears.

You do have to be a little patient. it is Javascript, which isn't noted for its speed, but compared to any other method, it's lightning quick.

Great stuff. his site keeps getting better and better.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2