Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UP VS Texas A&M

+11
purple pride
Stonehouse
eProf
PurplePrideTrumpet
fan from afar
FSUfan
UPSoccerFanatic
PilotNut
purple haze
Geezaldinho
aleppiek
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

UP VS Texas A&M - Page 2 Empty Re: UP VS Texas A&M

Post by Stonehouse Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:22 pm

PILOTS SCORE!!!! 2-1 A&M now.

Keelin scores on a header off a free kick.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:27 pm

Sigh...... 3-1 A&M. Hooper scores again. Long punt by the keeper, nice passing in the box, and Hooper punches it in. We have no answer for her.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:29 pm

About 30 minutes left...

UP can't match A&M's speed.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:38 pm

A&M with many chances, still 3-1. It's just not UP's night, folks.

20 minutes left.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:48 pm

No change... 10 minutes left.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:05 pm

Eh...better to lose in College Station now than in December. That's football for you.

I would not want to be SMU. Twisted Evil
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:06 pm

And it ends 3-1. Most disappointing. That didn't look anything like the Pilots we've seen so far this year. Yeah, you need to show up and play every game. Time for a drink for me and a fresh attitude for the next road game.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:07 pm

3-1 final.

Portland just never played their game, and A&M thoroughly dominated. No way to sugar coat it.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:13 pm

Ouch!! Totally Stymied!! Its been awhile since an opponent outright beat us up! Usually, we're at least in it...not tonight!! No

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:07 pm

They also allowed a sub right before the corner kick, which is (I'm quite sure) against the rules.

Nope, you can sub on your own corner kicks. Further, if the team in possession chooses to sub on a corner, the opposing team can also sub as long as the players are at the halfway line and are ready to go.
KFTC
KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:47 pm

There's a big difference between playing a top 10 team on the road and a team ranked 16th or 23rd near the northwest. I'm concerned that our schedule won't test us enough for the rest of the season... Oh well. I guess we'll be building our egos and confidence, right?
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:49 pm

SCU will test us plenty, it seems. That, too, will be on the road
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:44 pm

I received a great message from AggieGuest... and will share most of it here at AG's request. Many thanks for taking the time to send this note after last night's game. A great message indeed!

AggieGuest wrote:I am a Texas A&M graduate, class of 1970 and a sports fan. I would like to provide some info relative to some of the PilotNation comments on the A&M post.

Traditions. A&M started as an all-male military school, many traditions derive from those days, some have disappeared and some modified, but the remainder make A&M a unique university unlike anywhere else. You can Google or go to the A&M website for more info. There is the 12th Man tradition in which students stand (as many as 30K-40K) during the football (and some other sports) games. This has translated into tremendous student support at most sports events.

The posture referred to when Aggies did yells at the soccer game (we don’t do cheers, it’s the tradition thing) is called “humping it”, supposedly way back they decided that leaning over you could project louder (tradition). Our school song is the “Spirit of Aggieland” and the fight song “Aggie War Hymm”, both are accompanied by yells. Unique to Aggie soccer, we’ve developed the art of creative heckling of the opponent’s Keeper (if you thought it was severe you ought to attend our baseball games). You will often see many students switch sides at half to load up on the opponent’s Keeper side (not noticeable last night due to the large crowd). We also have something called the 12th Man Rewards Program – swipe your card at sporting events (except football) and with 12 swipes you get a free T shirt, 24 and 36 swipes, additional prizes. This has been studied by other universities and is an incentive for old Ags like me. Frankly I don’t know how the students have time for studies.

Attendance. Aggie games are not free. Students pay for an all sports pass or for individual games. There are special promotions like the ring night last night where free seats are offered for key games (most Aggies were probably not aware how key the Portland game was). It so happens that Friday was ring day on campus where students who qualified (90 hours) received their rings in a nice ceremony, hence, linking the opportunity at the soccer game. Speaking of attendance, last night’s announced crowd was 3500+, for any Portland fans in attendance, they saw a large crowd – my guess in the ~6000 range. I’ll never understand how A&M does its attendance figures, other than paid and ticket scanned people (basketball seems just the opposite). Presumably last night was influenced by the ring thing. Keep that in mind as the “attendance war” between Portland and A&M plays out this year.

The Game. I thought Portland controlled the midfield, especially in the first half, winning most free balls. Our speed up front unbalanced the Portland defense, and for a change we had some finishing instead of running to nowhere. Our midfield is not our strength, 2 of our key people (including Beth West, my favorite player) were injured, and Gnatzig went out with injury in the first half. But our defense was playing well. Portland had no answer for Whitney Hooper, she was dangerous 6 or 7 times and had 2 nice finishes. Had we had more people forward for Hooper crosses it could have been even worse. Portland won the first part of the second half, but overall our defense played one of its better games. We went into a shell toward the end (hate it when we do that) and Portland had more chances. But that also tired out both sides more. The disputed first goal could have gone either way, but all I can say is welcome to Big 12 officiating, they have ripped my heart out numerous times. Portland looks like a talented and balanced side, they just didn’t have their A game last night, I look for them to go far.

Portland Soccer. I think it’s wonderful that a small school like Portland could develop into a National power with a great fan base. That is a great story and what college athletics is all about. Loved watching Sinclair dominate when she was here. I enjoyed reading on the Portland site about what wonderful ladies are on the soccer team, let me assure you we are just as proud of our ladies on the character side, and Coach G is a Chamber of Commerce dream. Good luck the rest of the season, Portland is a team (other than the Aggies) I can root for, as opposed to USC, FSU, and others. Sorry, but I can’t hate UNC, they have such a fabulous program.

One of the Nation blogs mentioned yell practice. No, soccer attendees weren't required to go to yell practice. Yell practice is at midnight before every home football game (we have a home game today). It is held at Kyle Field, as many as 20K to 30K attend. The biggest yell practice of all was Bonfire, held before the U of Texas game, which has (sadly) disappeared as an Aggie tradition. Yell practice originated as a spirit thing and to actually practice the yells (very correographed), but has morphed into a general fun time with antics by the yell leaders, and such. Visitors generally get quite a kick out of attending the event, to witness some unique "Aggie color". Hopefully any Portland fans from out of town availed themselves of the opportunity last night.
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:44 pm

Classy - thanks, Pilot Nut.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:18 pm

Hey PilotNut, tell AggigGuest, "Cut 'em off short." He/she will appreciate it. Lots of those bumper stickers around College Station. Very nice post from an opposing school.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by jpscholar Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:09 pm

I can see that some of you think A&M is this weird place, lol. Trust me I thought the same thing before attending the school. I am a Former Student of the University. Just a bit of FYI on the school and our "weird rituals", Yell Practice is what we do the night before a football game. Kind of like the football team practices before the game, we as fans, the 12th Man practice getting ready to support our team. We have cheers we practice sing our fight song (aka the war hymn) and our alma mater. We usually get about 25k people to attend Midnight Yell Practice, sometimes its more depending on the game. You can check a few of these videos out on Youtube, sure you'll find many there.

Aggie Ring Day is the biggest day of any Aggie's collegiate career, maybe biggest day of our lives. weird I know, but thats when we get our College Rings, its a powerful symbol of our Alumni network famously known as the Aggie Network. In order for a student to qualify for his/her ring they must have taken and successfully completed 95 hours and maintained a GPA of 2.5. This last weekend more than 3,000 students obtained their ring.

As far as free admission to the game, don't kid yourselves. There's a reason we have dubbed our Athletic Director Dollar Bill ($Bill Byrne) former AD at Oregan. He charges admission for everything, including babies to most sporting events, especially the more popular ones, baseball, football, basketball, soccer.

Hope that helps clarify a little. Wink

jpscholar
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:21 pm

Thanks for the info! Great traditions at A&M that I did not know about... Hopefully we'll be back for another visit in December!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:00 pm

I will admit that seeing the TAMU band play and march the Aggie War Hymn has always been inspiring to me, and I have no connection to them except watching a few TV football games. If you've never seen it, LINK

Pretty much the opposite end of the band spectrum from Stanford! UP VS Texas A&M - Page 2 Icon_lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:12 pm

up7587 wrote:I will admit that seeing the TAMU band play and march the Aggie War Hymn has always been inspiring to me, and I have no connection to them except watching a few TV football games. If you've never seen it, LINK

Pretty much the opposite end of the band spectrum from Stanford! UP VS Texas A&M - Page 2 Icon_lol

What? - no tree?

UP VS Texas A&M - Page 2 Stanford
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2