Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

up vs. illinios

+19
GUPhantom
scrfn
eProf
Harry Redknapp
UPWomenSoccerRookie
PurplePrideTrumpet
onetouchfutbol
FANatic
ShipstadPilot11
karanicole
slick
aleppiek
purple haze
Geezaldinho
DaTruRochin
chiefer
SoreKnees
UPSoccerFanatic
fozziewozzie
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

up vs. illinios - Page 2 Empty Re: up vs. illinios

Post by UPWomenSoccerRookie Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:07 am

Enyeart: finally breaking out; her speed and ball handling quite impressive; made things happen

Kendra. very aggressive all over the field, very good ball-handling & passing & winning the ball; best game I’ve ever seen from her

The usual solid game from Olivier & Tsao

Both Kendall & Charney had good games

Foxhoven: too much of a team player tonight; passed off more than once when a shot would have been more appropriate

Enjoyable to watch some decent soccer after watching the mediocre match between Miami & UW.

UPWomenSoccerRookie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:20 am

Here's the "O"s take on the night's game. I think Nick Daschel did a pretty good job of recaping the game Here:

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2009/09/no_2_portland_4_no_11_illinois.html

I don' know about the ridiculously easy part, though. Maybe in the first 25 minutes or so, but after that Illinois did rally a little and make a game of it. It was just too little, too late.

That and the pretty passing game we have come to love finally came together better than I've seen all year so far.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:10 am

Pilots were scary good for the first half. As with Columbia game last weekend they moved into cruise control for the second half, gave up a goal, then turned it on again and scored within 60 seconds to ensure that the game was over.

Kelsey played well with limited amount to do. No chance on the goal which was a fiercely hard shot from wide left. Illini player found a seam in UP defense and beat someone for speed.

Jessica and Elli both did nicely: they get forward well and are solid on d. Michelle O was very strong at the back and Megan did a tidy job in the less familiar central spot. Cloee was in tennis shoes but no news as to why.

Keelin was the usual rock. Kendra was great: nice to see her get a goal - on a header too. I was most impressed with her competitiveness and tackling. Several times she went to for balls that were not 50/50 but 40/60 and won them. Kendall played a very good 45 minutes wide left. I was impressed with how well she and Elli combined. They are both fast and skillful and provided great width for the offense. Hope we see more of that combo. Michelle E was obviously the star. Her pace and running are almost taken for granted now. IMO her finishing is perhaps not the strongest part of her game - not last night. She was excellent. My favorite was the second goal when she played a one-two with Sophie that put her one-on-one with the keeper, and then took it round the keeper before firing a laser dart into the net from out wide. Clinical.

Sophie and Dani were both strong upfront. Dani could have had a couple of goals and Sophie is a wonderful strong target. You could see what she adds when, in the second half, Halley and Elinor were the two upfront. I mean this as a compliment to Sophie and not a knock on the two subs. Sophie makes it look so easy one can forget what a talent she is.

Seconf half Charney was on for Kendall and did nicely in a slightly unfamiliar position of wide left. As the half continued more subs came on with Kristen Kelly, Taylor Brooke, Janelle Jacka, Halley Kreminski, and Elinor Priest all having some minutes.
One of the strengths of this team is that they are very aggressive when the opposition has the ball. We're used to seeing offensive talent, one- and two-touch passing, unselfish play, passing and running at speed. But this team contests the ball on defense: all of them. Sophie, Dani, Kendall, Elli, Kendra, Michelle E are all tough and feisty in looking to get it back and not allow the opposition time to settle. Great to see.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:07 am

All four of the UP goals from our midfielders? Who was it earlier in this discussion who said, "UP's midfield is primed to explode with a lot more goals any game now." Oh, that was me! One of these days Burk will find her range on goal; she certainly has the foot to launch a few into the net. But it could be the UP defenders who light up the scoreboard next. Opponents are finding it impossible to defend the entire UP lineup; the balance, ball-handling and passing among all starting 11 was a joy to watch.

If Enyeart was the supernova star of the game, making Illinois look leadfooted on defense, then Chandhoke was a close 2nd -- she's improved so much since her last full season and raised her overall play to new heights. Johnson fits right into the starting lineup with great poise and shows a real confidence that she belongs there, very dangerous on the left side. Subs who did well include Kreminski, whose slick pass freed Enyeart for ther third goal, and Kelly, who filled in on the back line late in the game. With 5 or 6 subs on the field at the end of these one-sided games, we get to see more of the team's depth and the starters won't be worn down and beaten up come the playoff drive.

The Pilots were every bit as physical as the Illini, with even the players who might be seen as "finesse" players (Foxhoven, Chandhoke) really going hard into every tackle or leap for the ball.

Bring on Miami -- warm September days like these are made for soccer.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:24 am

Harry Redknapp wrote: Cloee was in tennis shoes but no news as to why.
The rumor in the stands was that she has a stress fracture.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

up vs. illinios - Page 2 Empty YEs!

Post by scrfn Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:46 pm

I was so excited to see Enyeart Score a hat trick.
1st time in her career. I was suprised to see that stat , but what a great accomplishment for Michelle in her Senior year. Fantastic.
I did "feel" for Kelsey Davis getting scored on for the first time I believe this season.. bummer for her. If anyone has eyes on that one plesse
It was great to witness a fantastic team work as well passing the ball well with one touches last night more like a team. It seems the chemistry is getting better and better amongst the girls.
Illinois did a great job trapping Danielle Foxhoven but that is okay that leave Michelle Enyeart open all day! Not to mention the Corner kicks were right on..I do not think Foxhoven did that last year if I remember...taek corners taht is
Way to go girls... Decent job all the way around last night despite the one goal by Illinois...YOU GO GIRLS !! NICE JOB!
I was how ever very disappointed to see once again the Vidoe throught Stretch network dismal at best for its coverage...usually too far a way to even read the jersey numbers, the video skipped and was unable to even see the first goal before the page loaded... so frustrating...it would be nice for the money pd to actually "see "the entire game
scrfn
scrfn
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:57 pm

Checking with the stretchnet site and looking at their bandwidth numbers, if you don't have at least 1500 Mb/s connection speed - and that's just for the video feed (no gametracker, no PilotNation a the same time) You aren't going to get a good video feed.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:25 pm

Stress fracture? What does that mean for Cloee? Will she be out for a week? A couple of weeks or longer? Surgery?

I noticed Cloee on the bench too but...was afraid to ask why? She didn't seem to be limping or nursing anything obvious. No wrap, brace or boot...so I assumed whatever the reason...it must be minor. Hope its all just rumor and noting to worry about! Sleep

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:47 am

I thought a stress fracture is what kept Kendra out last year, and back then people were saying she might be out a game, or longer. It's hard to tell with those.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by bluffer Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:08 pm

UPSOCCERROOKIE, are we watching the same game (s). The last thing the Pilots need is more selfishness on Danielle's part. If Danielle wants to learn about real "Teamwork" then maybe she can start emulating Sophie, Michelle, Kendra or some of the freshmen, i.e., Kendall or Halley. They seem to be more interested in helping the "Team" score than on personal accolades. It's been 6 games now and I don't think Danielle has once passed to Kendra when she was wide open calling for the ball on the right flank. I quit keeping track of the number of times when it went to double digits. She also has a general failure to combine with Michelle or
Sophie in any kind of attacking situation. It is disheartening to sit in the stands and see a perfect attacking situation stopped so she can pass the ball back to the defense instead of playing a simple through ball to a team mate.

bluffer
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by UPFAN Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:31 pm

wow...not sure what you're watching.....That is an interesting post to say the least. I think they all combine so well together that it is a joy to watch. It is unusual to read something so negative on the pilotnation, when you have a team that has combined to outscore their opponents 22 - 2. Enjoy the great play that is on the bluff and avoid the hate. Laughing

UPFAN
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2007-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:10 pm

UPFAN wrote:wow...not sure what you're watching.....That is an interesting post to say the least. I think they all combine so well together that it is a joy to watch. It is unusual to read something so negative on the pilotnation, when you have a team that has combined to outscore their opponents 22 - 2. Enjoy the great play that is on the bluff and avoid the hate. Laughing

I pretty much agree, UPfan, although I see nothing wrong with the gently critiquing players. I got to see them play for the first time this year in person this weekend. Danielle sat a lot today, I expect because she was tired, but I was very impressed at how much better she has gotten from last year. She is moving MUCH better with the ball, and she has developed a very good one touch back pass off a high entry pass - Sophie is the master at this. I have NEVER seen the slightest sign of selfish play on her part. I can't imagine where that came from.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by bluffer Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:52 pm

"UPFAN wrote: Enjoy the great play that is on the bluff and avoid the hate. " I don't know why you are using the word "Hate". The most I said was it was "disheartening". When you watch the games from the stands you get a clearer picture of the players relative positions to each other and the plays that could and sometimes should have been made. I believe that Danielle has the athletic ability to play at the college level and the technical skill to play at the college level so why does it appear she is picking who she will and will not pass to. You simply can't fail to make that many passes when Kendra is wide open, unmarked and calling for the ball without it being some sort of problem that needs to be addressed by the coaching staff and I think that the early sub of Danielle in the Miami game might have been a result of her poor decisions versus any fatigue. On the positive side what I do enjoy watching is the interplay between Sophie and Michelle who seem to intuitively know what each is doing, the scrappiness of Meagan on defense, the consistent outstanding play of Jessica (that I think we all take so much for granted now), and Kendra's ability to mix it up and come away with the ball.

bluffer
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by UPFAN Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:57 pm

Thanks for the clarification and opinion bluffer. I have faith that if the coaches feel this is a problem, they will certainly address it. I guess I see them all playing well together and enjoy the potency of this offense and the toughness of the defense. I am sure that everyone's goal is simply to win games and bring a national championship back to Portland. Let's hope this happens!

UPFAN
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2007-11-05

Back to top Go down

up vs. illinios - Page 2 Empty Reply to Bluffer

Post by UPWomenSoccerRookie Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:44 pm

Quoting myself from an earlier post regarding Friday’s match against Illinois: “Foxhoven: too much of a team player tonight; passed off more than once when a shot would have been more appropriate”

My observation was that on several occasions in that game Danielle got the ball near the top of the box, well within her range. Instead of shooting she kept the ball at her feet, then either passed off or lost the ball. She was in a position where I thought a shot would have been appropriate, but that didn’t occur. I assumed that she was trying to work it to someone else.

In general I don't think that Danielle is as involved in the passing sequences as some of the other players. She’s been more the johnny-on-the-spot scorer that others have noticed, in the right place at the right time for a goal. And that certainly has had its benefits. I’ll try to be aware of when & where she gets the ball and what she does with it.

I am a big fan of Kendra and have noticed numerous times when she has been open on the flank and didn't get the ball. I haven’t been aware of anyone, specifically Danielle, missing more opportunities to go wide to Kendra than anyone else. I’ll keep my eye on that also.

In the last two games there were several times when Kendra DID get the ball on the right side. As I recall most of those came from Michelle, Sophie, or Jessica. Kendra has looked so much better – better ball handling, more aggressive, more involved all over the field - those last two games. Perhaps she will get the ball more often if she continues her improved level of play.

UPWomenSoccerRookie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:27 pm

One comment about players who pass up shots that seem open: A goalkeeper friend of mine says during games he plays in, he is often surprised that players don't shoot more than they do. From his vantage point, they are open and threatening, but from their point of view the goal looks tiny and the keeper huge.

This season I have seen Foxhoven take on the defense more directly on the dribble and really launch some shots from outside the 18. She is increasing her range and power. The free kick she scored last game was an example. No way can anyone say she is just lurking in the frame to clean up a rebound.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

up vs. illinios - Page 2 Empty Interview with coach Rayfield

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:45 pm

Brian Moline has a nice podcast with Illinois coach Janet Rayfield where he interviews her about last weekend's games.

http://illinihq.com/podcasts/illini_special_podcast/2009/09/17/1585

Enjoy.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:14 pm

Thanks for the link, she really gives Michelle the credit she deserved.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum