Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supporting the men

+4
Stonehouse
VillaGorilla
feelingpurple
Oscar
8 posters

Go down

Supporting the men Empty Supporting the men

Post by Oscar Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:21 am

Hi everyone. I recently discovered your site and am glad I did. I'm a season ticket holder and love both soccer teams.

I looked through this mornings Oregonian looking for a story about that very entertaining mens game last night. Nothing. I was getting ready to write an email to them asking if they sent so many writers to Eugene to cover that Duck loss (heh, heh) that they couldn't even spare one for UP until I logged on here. One post, one, about the game.

I, for one, am very sorry for how poorly the men are supported. They have a nice, entertaining team and they can't seem to draw flies for their games. At least last night there was a good student section.

You should come watch. They play fun soccer and work very, very hard. The women are so great to watch but you're missing out if you don't come to the mens' games.

Oscar
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Supporting the men Empty Re: Supporting the men

Post by feelingpurple Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:48 pm

Its going to be fun watching this team improve. They are different then last year, and work as a team. I would like to see them move the ball on the floor, become creative in the last third. What little of the games I have been able to catch this year, (and I didn't get to last nights) they are a better looking team as a whole. Wish some of the players had stayed, we really would have been deep. Go PILOTS!!!!!

feelingpurple
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2007-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:55 pm

Oscar, I know what you mean. Oftentimes the men struggle to draw as much as the women, although that (at least in recent years) has had to do with how well the team was faring. The men did draw ~2500 last night, which for them is a pretty strong showing (I'm not sure how many were Zag alums, though).

I do like what I have seen from them this year: less long ball and more sustained possession! Makes for more exciting viewing, which will hopefully be a better draw.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:24 pm

I totally see where you are coming from, Oscar, but I think the reasons are pretty simple to explain. Obviously first and foremost the women are one of the top programs in the country and have a legitimate shot at winning the national title every season. So that in and of itself engenders more interest.

Beyond that, I think the women's style of play is a little more fan-friendly... a lot of times the guys' games turn into a physical long-ball game that, quite frankly, can be a little tedious to watch sometimes. The women's posession-style with lots of quick passes is more entertaining for sure.

Also, I think the women's team has done a much better job of reaching out to fans than the men... maybe it's just perception, but it does seem like the women do more in terms of making themselves available to kids and fans after games, thanking the fans, being humble and gracious, etc.

Same is true for the students. As a recent grad, I can tell you that the guys' team doesn't necessarily have the best reputation with the general student body while pretty much everyone loves the women's team, so the student support is always going to be stronger for the team that the students like more.

But really, if the men start winning consistently and get into the Top 10 or even the Top 25, I think you will see a similar level of support. I hate the whole "what have you done for me lately" thing, but really... I think that's the basic reason why the men don't get the same type of fan turnout.

Still... I'll always be at the games! Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by autoPiLOT Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:21 pm

I’m sorry but the pace of the game is very different between the men and the ladies. Our ladies play a great possession game and run it very hard for women’s soccer. The guys on the other hand, are really physical in play and recognize how to shut-down alleys of play. And sometimes our passing alleys get shut down leaving us with the choice of getting caught in the backfield with the ball or dump it over the top to keep pressure off the goal. I was so happy to see the men find the opportunities to string some great passes together.

These guys are really strong and competitive on the ball.(as shown by the number of yellows thrown) As they should be, but I can’t help but notice the dynamics of the game change with some of the different players. This is a great thing pending who we are playing. Kudos to Bigs for the depth and variety of players.

That being said, there is one glaring exception. The keeper. Little ‘G’ is pretty good, but would like to see more of the depth in players at that position. I may get burned here, but competition at that position would elevate the field of play also. We will need the experience here down the road. Just an opinion. Stay strong and GO PILOTS
[/u]

autoPiLOT
Recruit
Recruit

Registration date : 2007-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by thepuck Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:22 pm

I would agree with autopilot about giving the other gk's a chance to prove themselves. Both rhine and comstock have waited patiently behind robles for their chance to get some playing time. I guess I see the reasoning in getting Little 'G' some playing experience but I think its irresponsible to not put the best/most experienced player.
thepuck
thepuck
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2007-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by purple2idie Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:26 pm

Austin Guerro is really good in the goal, i think he filled Luis spot well. I like seeing Bryan up fron

purple2idie
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by autoPiLOT Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:29 pm

Ok, Little ‘G’ is good in the goal. But it is naïve to say he fill Luis’s shoes (maybe in a year or two or maybe three)

I see you missed the point already or you sure are thin skinned. As with any position, you compete for the position or you are put in to change the chemistry of the game. I’m just saying that the GK position is no exception.

I really think these guys can play as a team. (other years-not so much) That is what will breakout the men from the women’s shadow.

autoPiLOT
Recruit
Recruit

Registration date : 2007-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by footyfan Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:50 pm

autoPiLOT wrote:Ok, Little ‘G’ is good in the goal. But it is naïve to say he fill Luis’s shoes (maybe in a year or two or maybe three)

I see you missed the point already or you sure are thin skinned. As with any position, you compete for the position or you are put in to change the chemistry of the game. I’m just saying that the GK position is no exception.

I really think these guys can play as a team. (other years-not so much) That is what will breakout the men from the women’s shadow.

Here's a question...Why does Biggs keep three or four keepers if he only uses one?
I agree that he should throw some minutes to recruits who have spent years waiting for the chance to show "in games"

Luis was an excellent keeper..his saves record was a good accomplishment but also reflected the defense in front of him and more importantly the stlye of play over the past three years! He was very good "on the field"

As for the draw difference bewtween men and women..It's all about the rankings. The women's game is more cerebral..slower and better thought out. But also like watching men play soccer under water.
I agree that the men's college game is too physical..played at a pretty frantic pace most of the time and skills looses out too often.

footyfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down