Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHO'S EXCITED FOR PILOT'S ON SUNDAY!!!

+5
Rob's Jacket
onetouchfutbol
Stonehouse
DaTruRochin
MesaPilot1
9 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

WHO'S EXCITED FOR PILOT'S ON SUNDAY!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: WHO'S EXCITED FOR PILOT'S ON SUNDAY!!!

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:38 pm

9-9 in conference gets you in the tourney??
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

WHO'S EXCITED FOR PILOT'S ON SUNDAY!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: WHO'S EXCITED FOR PILOT'S ON SUNDAY!!!

Post by Rob's Jacket Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:40 pm

I feel awful for the Gaels. They deserved a bid.

As for the Zags, get out of my city. Mad

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:42 pm

I HATE Michigan... SEVEN Big 10 teams?? The Big Ten is nothing compared to the Big East and yet gets 7 teams.

Last edited by goldhelmet on Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 270

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:42 pm

Especially with AZ, Michigan and Wisconsin getting in...

The Big 10 is apparently as good as the Big East??
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:43 pm

doesn't it seem like not many mid-majors got in? It seems like maybe only 4 got in. Is the bracket up yet?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:45 pm

It was only 4....
Michigan and AZ?? Something smells...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:45 pm

I think this probably is the end of our NIT bid.

Can I just say that I'd love to beat the Beavers?

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:46 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3982264

or if you prefer bracket form:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/mayhem/brackets/viewable_men
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:47 pm

WHO'S EXCITED FOR PILOT'S ON SUNDAY!!! - Page 3 Pictur10
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:49 pm

I guess goldhelmet owes me a beer... And to be honest, being right has never tasted so wrong... Evil or Very Mad
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:50 pm

The highest seed of any team on the west coast is a 4??? wow....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:03 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:I guess goldhelmet owes me a beer... And to be honest, being right has never tasted so wrong... Evil or Very Mad

DTR - I'm a man of my word. Remind me as we get closer to the tournament. I'm making plans to be there in 2010.
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:12 pm

goldhelmet wrote:
DTR - I'm a man of my word. Remind me as we get closer to the tournament. I'm making plans to be there in 2010.

OH I will... And after missing out on the fun this year, me not going to the tourney is NOT an option... And besides PilotNut owes me one too from over a year ago... Razz

That said... I think I need one right now, I'm all worked up like Mesa getting trapped in Jack and Dan's right now....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:18 pm

goldhelmet wrote:You never have any disputes in basketball about who the ultimate champion is because it's decided on the court. The arguments about who gets into the dance really have no effect on who the ultimate champion is.
[left]

Sorry, but I disagree in one respect. We know who the "champion" is, but we don't know who the "best" team is. If Arizona gets hot and runs the bracket, I won't call them the best team. And don't laugh, because they did exactly that a few years ago. Fifth place in Pac-10 regular season (I think), got in the dance, and won the tournament.

SMC got screwed, and Zaga got a gift to play in Portland.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:25 pm

From the O-Live article on Oregon State:
"Update ... looks like Pilots are in the CollegeInsider.com tourney, going to Pacific."

Don't know the source.

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:33 pm

[quote="up7587"]
goldhelmet wrote:You never have any disputes in basketball about who the ultimate champion is because it's decided on the court. The arguments about who gets into the dance really have no effect on who the ultimate champion is.
[left]

Sorry, but I disagree in one respect. We know who the "champion" is, but we don't know who the "best" team is. If Arizona gets hot and runs the bracket, I won't call them the best team. And don't laugh, because they did exactly that a few years ago. Fifth place in Pac-10 regular season (I think), got in the dance, and won the tournament.

But you can say that about any playoff situation. There are multiple teams, and if one of them gets hot at playoff time, anything can happen. Arizona played the best when it was all on the line in pressure situations. That's part of the beauty of sport is having a time where you say, OK, this is crunch time, it's playoff time, and the pressure turns up several notches.

What would you propose as a solution? We should do away with all playoffs and just have a regular season? How would you determine a champion in the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, College football and basketball, etc., etc.

Having it decided on the field or on the court is better than the politics of the BCS and some ridiculous computer. No system is perfect. You can find flaws in ANY system. The trick is the find the best system with the fewest flaws that does the least injustice, and at the same time is entertaining for the fans. Again, what's your solution?
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:40 pm

Solutions? Was that a prerequisite to bloviate? confused

I guess the last "real" champs were when MLB had the champ of the AL play the champ of the NL. Or when the only entry to the NCAA MBB was to win your conference. But those days are long gone. Shocking but true, it's all about the $'s.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:50 pm

up7587 wrote:From the O-Live article on Oregon State:
"Update ... looks like Pilots are in the CollegeInsider.com tourney, going to Pacific."

Don't know the source.

Ugh.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:59 pm

up7587 wrote:Solutions? Was that a prerequisite to bloviate? confused

I guess the last "real" champs were when MLB had the champ of the AL play the champ of the NL. Or when the only entry to the NCAA MBB was to win your conference. But those days are long gone. Shocking but true, it's all about the $'s.

Not sure who was "bloviating", but it was just a question. How would you improve on the current situation? It sounds like you're in favor of just having the conference champions make it to the tournament. I can see it from a "justice" standpoint, but I think it makes it much less exciting for the fans, and the current system in the NCAA basketball tournamnet is too popular - even though there are always some upset folks on selection Sunday. If you just had the conference champions go, how would that be "just" for a conference like the Big East? Would you say, sorry UCONN, Syracuse, Pitt, etc., but only Louisville can go? You see where I'm going? There's problems with any system. Which one is the "least worst", if you will...?

You're right, money is a factor, as it is in every facet of our society it seems. That's not going to change.
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:04 pm

How about if you have to finish in the top third of your conference? And if you send a conf tourney champ who didn't finish in the top third, another conference member gets bumped? Think there'd be some motivated teams then?

Or at least require a winning conference regular season record.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:04 pm

Rob's Jacket wrote:

Don't know the source.

Ugh.

I have not followed these new tournaments at all. How do they stack up in terms of prestige, etc.?

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:06 pm

Well the CBI has been prestigious since 2008... and the CIT... Has been prestigious since uh.... Well it's never been played before so, uh, I guess you have to be the judge of that...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:18 pm

up7587 wrote:How about if you have to finish in the top third of your conference? And if you send a conf tourney champ who didn't finish in the top third, another conference member gets bumped? Think there'd be some motivated teams then?

Or at least require a winning conference regular season record.

Sounds good to me...
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:23 pm

Don't know the source.

And speaking of injustice, how the hell does OSU get in this tournament let alone host a game? They were 13-17 and 7-11 in a down year in the PAC 10. How are we not hosting them?
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:27 pm

Here's the thing with these lower-tier tournaments... they only work because schools that host guarantee a certain amount of ticket sales. ($50,000 maybe? I have no idea.)

So... a school like UP may have been offered to host a game, but maybe have opted to travel instead in order to 1) avoid covering any ticket sale shortfalls and 2) get more experience travelling and playing a quality team on the road.

My gut tells me that Portland probably was offered the chance to host and we decided not to do it.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next