Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Basketball vs Soccer--rivalry poll...

+4
DaTruRochin
PurplePrideTrumpet
mattywizz
onetouchfutbol
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Which rivalry is greater next Wednesday?

Basketball vs Soccer--rivalry poll... - Page 2 Vote_lcap63%Basketball vs Soccer--rivalry poll... - Page 2 Vote_rcap 63% 
[ 10 ]
Basketball vs Soccer--rivalry poll... - Page 2 Vote_lcap37%Basketball vs Soccer--rivalry poll... - Page 2 Vote_rcap 37% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 16

Poll closed

Basketball vs Soccer--rivalry poll... - Page 2 Empty Re: Basketball vs Soccer--rivalry poll...

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:40 pm

MesaPilot1 wrote:

Soccer-Looks interesting, glad I DVR'd

Mesa, getting into soccer is easy with so many pilots playing professionally and internationally... Haha and soccer is the new hotness for basketball players these days..

DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Basketball vs Soccer--rivalry poll... - Page 2 Empty Re: Basketball vs Soccer--rivalry poll...

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:13 pm

USA held serve against Mexico, 2-0.

Two nice goals by Bradley. I thought the defense was pretty solid, but after watching Argentina earlier in the day, you can sure see the US game has plenty of room to improve.

Frankly, I don't see how the Mexican hit on Howard going for the ball merited a red card. Yellow, sure - not red. The announcers made a pitch that a leg came up I just saw a player already in the air going into a ball to protect himself. Sometimes contact is just contact.

And what in the World did Howard do to merit a yellow on the same play?

So- who watched UNC-Duke?

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:53 pm

Its an apple to oranges thing. One is an international competition. The other is college. Both are intenses rivalries. But the market for the soccer game will span two whole countries one of which is a primary soccer playing nation. The Duke UNC rivaly is well known in NCAA college circles just ask a kid in Juarez his opinion.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Heath Pierce got some quality playing time in the USA vs. Mexico game... That game was played at a fierce pace. It's amazing how fast the speed of the men's game is becoming. The recent Charlston vs. Chelsea game was just ridiculous...borderline out of control.

Great game though. As far as UNC vs. Duke, there's only so much Dick Vitale I can take before I need another beer... Neutral
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:21 pm

athleticjames wrote: As far as UNC vs. Duke, there's only so much Dick Vitale I can take before I need another beer... Neutral

OHH BABY! drunken
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:45 pm

There is no love of the English by the Scotish even though both will accept being called British
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:02 am

I think we have our answer to this question. Obviously it is UNC-Duke. Reasoning, SportsCenter opened and closed with this game. And since ESPN is the self-proclaimed "World Wide Leader in Sports" they are the final word.

They did at least show highlights of the soccer game, and Bradley's first goal made the top 10 (#3 I think).
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:36 am

Must.... Follow.... Stuart... Scott...

Basketball vs Soccer--rivalry poll... - Page 2 ZombiePlanetPhoto_11
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:28 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:
And what in the World did Howard do to merit a yellow on the same play?
The announcers said it was for wasting time taking the kick. When Marquez went up, you could see his leg swing at Howard a little, but I don't know that it was intentional on his part.

Vitale was absolutely intolerable at several points last night. Yes, we understand what a big rivalry this is... Smack!
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by SciFi Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:39 pm

MesaPilot1 wrote:Soccer-Looks interesting, glad I DVR'd

You Can Not Stop Us! Famous last words. Folks, it looks like we have a Soccer Nut in the closet. It's up to us to help him out of it! We are the U of P!

-SciFi

Basketball vs Soccer--rivalry poll... - Page 2 Header10
SciFi
SciFi
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 313

http://pilotfans.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:52 pm

All the Zidane/France talk reminded me of the "Zidane" movie that came out a year or so. It is high art film, but a mesmurizing blend of sound, picture of color that tracks Zidane over the course of one match. It basically has 50 cameras fixed on him tracking his every move, you hear the crowd, his touches on the ball, his words (haha his first line is pretty much amazing, think Ivan Drago "I will break you"), his tackles and his footsteps as the sound all focuses on him. Any soccer fan would love this film (I hate that word, so pretentions, but this definitely deserves the label) and its artistic quality is second to none. Anyway definitely check it out, here's the trailer:
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:14 pm

Is this in the movie?

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:28 pm

Haha no it was filmed during a Real Madrid game...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:41 pm

That sounds like a great movie. I'll have to check it out. Did you ever see the one about Pele's years with the Cosmos that came out in the past few years? I've forgotten the name of it, but, I want to see that one too...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:20 pm

Is it Once In A Lifetime? It was based on a book of the same name. I've been meaning to read it and maybe watch the movie too.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:03 am

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:Is it Once In A Lifetime? It was based on a book of the same name. I've been meaning to read it and maybe watch the movie too.

Yeah, that's it. Thanks for reminding me of the title. I still want to see that.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2