Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ads...

+7
A_Fan
Geezaldinho
blacksheep
ExpatPilot
DoubleDipper
PilotNut
DaTruRochin
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ads... - Page 2 Empty Re: Ads...

Post by StudentPilot Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:12 pm

For whatever reason, the administrators of this site have continued to allow advertising on PilotNation regardless of the fact some have said they would chip-in to defray the cost of ridding the site of advertising.

WARNING:  I have noticed that a number of the advertisers that pop-up on PN are not safe!!

Now that most of us are home just walking between the refrigerator and our devices, we want to simply "click and buy," but don't without first checking on the legitimacy of the manufacturer/seller/site.

Some of the conniving sellers are simply taking advantage of the COVID-19 pandemic, and anyone who shops there are at risk of sharing their credit card information and getting either fake products or nothing at all.

Come on PN administrators...get rid of the advertisements.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:57 pm

StudentPilot wrote:For whatever reason, the administrators of this site have continued to allow advertising on PilotNation regardless of the fact some have said they would chip-in to defray the cost of ridding the site of advertising.

WARNING:  I have noticed that a number of the advertisers that pop-up on PN are not safe!!

Now that most of us are home just walking between the refrigerator and our devices, we want to simply "click and buy," but don't without first checking on the legitimacy of the manufacturer/seller/site.

Some of the conniving sellers are simply taking advantage of the COVID-19 pandemic, and anyone who shops there are at risk of sharing their credit card information and getting either fake products or nothing at all.

Ha, not sure where you've been shopping! I was looking for a way to get rid of excess used motor oil, and all I get are ads for oil burners and heaters.

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:54 pm

up7587 wrote:Ha, not sure where you've been shopping!
I was thinking about purchasing some masks for the people in my neighborhood, but the site that came up on PN seemed kind of sketchy so I asked a friend of mine who works for an internet security firm to check it out, he said, "don't touch it, it's likely bogus!"
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:20 am

I have activated the new donation process here on the forum.  Members who are signed in can click on the "Contribution" link located in the bottom right corner on any page, in the footer.  You can buy credits that can then be used by the forum.  A big change recently is that we can no longer spend credits in an ala carte way to turn off ads; rather, we now have to buy a package upgrade.  This is more expensive, but also gives some other options.

Through the link down there, you can donate via credit card on the Skrill or Stripe platforms.  Full disclosure: I know nothing about either of these platforms.  Our forum host is based in Europe, so that may be why.  

As an admin, I have the ability to buy credits via PayPal, but that unfortunately does not appear to be an option for everyone else... so if you would prefer, you can message me directly and we can handle this via VenMo, PayPal or otherwise.

We currently need another 4,500 credits on top of what we have to block ads for another 12 months, or about $50....

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:20 am

Stripe says it is headquartered in San Francisco.  Wonder why they list denominations is Euros? And what exchange rate do they use? Currently a Euro is $1.08.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:31 pm

up7587 wrote:Stripe says it is headquartered in San Francisco.  Wonder why they list denominations is Euros?  And what exchange rate do they use?  Currently a Euro is $1.08.

Interesting--the link must function differently for non-Admin folks. When I looked at it last night, it took me to a different screen where I could change the denomination to US Dollars. I didn't see a lot of options to modify the setup, but I will try to research that.

Feel free to message me via the links just below the image at the top of the page above in the mean time.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri May 08, 2020 1:02 pm

Ads have been turned off until 5/9/21.

Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 27

https://www.pilotnation.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 08, 2020 1:29 pm

Thanks, I don't see them today.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue May 12, 2020 4:32 pm

Thank you to FloridaPilot, up7587, and DoubleDipper who all chipped in for the no-ads purchase!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon May 10, 2021 12:06 am

Admin wrote:Ads have been turned off until 5/9/21.
And like clockwork, the ads are back on 5/9/21!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon May 10, 2021 8:59 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
Admin wrote:Ads have been turned off until 5/9/21.
And like clockwork, the ads are back on 5/9/21!!
...and now a day later the ads are gone again.

Thanks, Admin, does that mean we still had enough money in the bank to go another ad-free year?  Smile
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 04, 2022 8:01 am

Hey, do we still have any administrators of PilotNation who log in from time-to-time?

Because if we do, someone needs to determine how to collect the money and pay the webmasters, so we don't end up seeing advertisements all over this site beginning on May 9th.

Just like in past years, I am sure there are a number of us willing to pitch-in and help, but we need an administrator to actually do the work or PilotNation will become the crap hole some of the other WCC fan sites have become.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

A_Fan and up7587 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Wed May 04, 2022 10:21 pm

I'm an admin, but for some reason, I don't have the ability to spend credits the way that PilotNut described things a couple of posts up.  When I log in to the admin panel and click on those links, I just get a message that says "Only the founder can access this section." Question

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed May 04, 2022 10:55 pm

RJ - You just need the magic touch. Smile

I just looked and ads will be back in 5 days, and the fee to block them for another year is $66.00. That can be paid to the machine behind the curtain via PayPal by me.

If a few folks want to pony up, I don't mind handling the renewal--its easy... but let me touch base with RJ first and see if he wants to do it...

Administrator
Administrator

A_Fan, DoubleDipper and up7587 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Fri May 06, 2022 8:11 am

I'm glad to add a few bucks to the pot. Let me know how you want to receive the money, I can do Venmo, mail cash or a check.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon May 09, 2022 11:46 pm

Ads have been removed for another year. It cost $66 for the year, and I personally paid that through Pay Pal.

If a few folks would like to contribute to help offset that cost, that would be appreciated. It would be best to shoot me a message on this site and I can share my venmo or paypal information.

Administrator
Administrator

DoubleDipper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon May 01, 2023 11:07 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Hey, do we still have any administrators of PilotNation who log in from time-to-time?

Because if we do, someone needs to determine how to collect the money and pay the webmasters, so we don't end up seeing advertisements all over this site beginning on May 9th.

Just like in past years, I am sure there are a number of us willing to pitch-in and help, but we need an administrator to actually do the work or PilotNation will become the crap hole some of the other WCC fan sites have become.
It is that time of year again!!

RJ and PNut, let us know if we can help keep this forum advertisement free by sending along some donations...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Thu May 11, 2023 8:08 pm

StudentPilot wrote:For whatever reason, the administrators of this site have continued to allow advertising on PilotNation regardless of the fact some have said they would chip-in to defray the cost of ridding the site of advertising.

The pandemic may be "officially" over today, but there are still plenty of bad actors hiding behind advertisements to steal credit card info or sell fake products.

Is there is fund we can contribute to as means of getting rid of the ads?
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sat May 13, 2023 7:33 am

PilotNut is looking into it.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1353
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu May 18, 2023 7:35 pm

I'm going to leave this in Rob's Jacket's capable hands.

If anyone else would like to step up and help run the place, feel free to message me and/ or RJ.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Wed May 24, 2023 2:52 pm

PilotNut wrote:I'm going to leave this in Rob's Jacket's capable hands.

If anyone else would like to step up and help run the place, feel free to message me and/ or RJ.
Have our administrators aged out?

What do the administrators do exactly?

If I didn't live in Puerto Rico (where I am located, we regularly go for days without internet) I would gladly pick up the duties.

There must be some 20/30 somethings on PN who would want this high paying position.

If not, someone just tell us how to get rid of the advertisements and update the WCC links.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Thu May 25, 2023 4:18 pm

Hey everyone!

Sorry about the delay in getting the ads gone--I have a pretty hefty ad blocker on my browser, so I didn't notice that they were back until PilotNut pinged me about it. I took care of the cost out of my own pocket, so if folks would like to help cover that, just send me a PM, and I'd be happy to share my Venmo info.

Like PilotNut mentioned, if anybody else wants to take on admin privileges, I'm happy to share them. All things considered, this is a pretty calm corner of the internet, so the work mainly consists of deleting the spam that shows up every once in a while and making sure that we keep the ads away and renew our domain name every year.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum