Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots break attendance record

+10
SoreKnees
purple haze
PurplePrideTrumpet
Auto Pilot
SciFi
Stonehouse
PilotNut
DaTruRochin
fozziewozzie
Geezaldinho
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pilots break attendance record - Page 2 Empty Re: Pilots break attendance record

Post by Auto Pilot Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:21 am

I have a Kristen story. I met her at an airport. She was waiting to pick up little sis Kasey returning from a national camp or event I forget. But I was astounded how friendly and polite she was. I mean how many college women will shoot the breeze with with an old geezer. Her demenor was completely unpretentious. At the time I knew nothing of UP or the program and she casually educated me with no hint of annoyance or arrogance. I was so impressed to see such a classy young woman who was so approachable. I have never had an experience quite like it with an athlete. Her humility and grace reminded me of one other class act; John Wooden.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Pilots break attendance record - Page 2 Empty Re: Pilots break attendance record

Post by purple haze Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:48 pm

I knew that my offhand reference to past years when "Pilots' chance of winning was 50-50" would get slapped down by those who do actual research -- I should have qualified it by saying that's what it SEEMED LIKE TO ME -- since I recall seeing actual losses on my few early visits to Merlo (unlike the nonstop wins that have become the amazing norm these days. I don't mean to talk down about the team's record back then, just to indicate that it's not JUST winning that brings me back.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:22 pm

Don't worry about it. They didn't seem like the power they are now to me either. When I was a fan the first time around, as an undergrad, I didn't know that much about soccer and didn't realize what a good team I was watching. I think a lot of fans were not aware of the quality of the Pilots until they actually won a championship. Before 2002 it seemed like they were always getting to the Final Four, then losing to UNC or ND.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:36 pm

I wonder what the gate was for the 3 home games?
How much did the amazing Pilot fans contribute to the NCAA coffers?
Any accounting friends out there care to submit a speculative statement?
I was in for 30 well spent soccer dollars.
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:09 pm

Get the attendance from the box scores.
1st rd., 11/14: TX-WSU and UP-NAU doubleheader: 3582
2d rd., 11/16: Pilots v. Texas: 3644
3d rd., 11/22: Pilots v. JMU: 4879

Total for three home dates: 12,105
If we say the average ticket was $10, that would be $121,050. However, that doesn't count complimentary tickets for players/coaches. Also keep in mind most of the seats in Merlo are the $8 bleachers rather than $10 bench backs or $12 chairs.

Plus, there's the general overcharges TicketBa$tard collected from many fans....
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:16 pm

But you also need to add in the revenue from programs ($4 each) and all the T-shirt and other souvenir merchandise that the NCAA was selling. I'll bet that they get at least $2 from the average paying customer in merchandise sales. And that's not counting food: do they get a cut of that, too?
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:46 pm

That stuff is all in the tournament handbook and goes on for several pages.

All the merchandise and programs are purchased by the host institution from Host Communications under NCAA contract. Host Comm. apparently gets to decide how much merchandise a host receives. It's unclear who eats the unsold merchandise, but it appears the host institution eats the actual sales costs (somebody to sit there and sell the stuff) . Any inserts are paid for by the host and are unreimbursed. I don't see anything about food, other than alcohol can't be served at the event site.

That could conceivably go to the host, but knowing the NCAA, I doubt it.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11811
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:51 pm

Give me Beer! Party!!! No alcohol Sad
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:51 pm

Yeah, that's what they say at Autzen, too. Wink Laughing drunken
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by SciFi Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:07 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:That stuff is all in the tournament handbook and goes on for several pages.

All the merchandise and programs are purchased by the host institution from Host Communications under NCAA contract. Host Comm. apparently gets to decide how much merchandise a host receives. It's unclear who eats the unsold merchandise, but it appears the host institution eats the actual sales costs (somebody to sit there and sell the stuff) . Any inserts are paid for by the host and are unreimbursed. I don't see anything about food, other than alcohol can't be served at the event site.

That could conceivably go to the host, but knowing the NCAA, I doubt it.

I understand that although the NCAA is a non-profit organization, it does have costs to cover. So I understand why it takes some of the revenue; but, it does seem like they take an awful big slice.

-SciFi

Pilots break attendance record - Page 2 Header10
SciFi
SciFi
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 313

http://pilotfans.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:14 pm

I think they feel that since they pay for travel and expenses for the tournament they should get the revenue. They do share March Madness money, the main revenue source.

There must be more to the setup than what's in the manual, I don't suppose we will ever really find out how it works.

You can get an idea, though by poking around Here

That info is through freedom of information requests from public schools.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11811
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2