Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Student Section Cheering vs CSUB

2 posters

Go down

Student Section Cheering vs CSUB Empty Student Section Cheering vs CSUB

Post by GUPhantom Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:11 am

I've often wondered if the Student Section has any influence on our opponents. Most teams are pretty good at ignoring the jeers and focus on their play. But last night, at the men's game against UC-Bakersfield, I saw a team who's first reaction to their WIN was to "give it back" to the Student Section. It was amusing!!

When the sudden death goal went it....they literally ignored the Pilot players whom they've been battling against all night and went straight to "acknowledging" the Student Section!! I mean...the CSUB team went out to midfield and "demonstrated their love" for the our UP students. Funny!!!

So YES...the Student Section CAN get into our opponents heads! I mean...do you think CSUB will ever see a crowd like us again? I think not. The rest of their schedule will probably be played in empty and sad soccer venues.

Hey....I know it was Opening Night....but I'd like to see the Student Section be a more of consistent presence through the season for the Men's Team. Though they lost last night....they definitely need the support of the "12th man" for sure.

I should give some respect and kudos to the CSUB team. Though the Pilot men outright dominated the game...CSUB played with heart and never gave up. We had our chances to put the game away. There were many point blank chances and even a couple balls that bounced off the post.

Let's go after New Hampshire next...

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Student Section Cheering vs CSUB Empty Re: Student Section Cheering vs CSUB

Post by Blanco Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:12 pm

You have no idea how much they pump up the players...AND F with the oposition...They need to keep it up!!

Blanco
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-07-20

Back to top Go down

Student Section Cheering vs CSUB Empty Re: Student Section Cheering vs CSUB

Post by GUPhantom Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:36 pm

Hey Blanco,

Oh yah...I definitely understand how much of an impact the Student Section can have on an opponent's play. I've played on teams (not soccer..other sports) where home crowds had been brutal....but tonight...my response is not going to be about me.

What I tried to convey in my observations of the Student Section and the UCSB team was that...some teams accept a loss gracefully....and some teams win with class.

There's no doubt that the Pilot Soccer program has a reputation of class and want to promote...their games...their venue....and their supporters...with class!

I believe Larry Williams, Bill Irwin and Garrett Smith would never think to ..."F the opposition"!! That attitude only makes us look like asses when we lose. I think..(though we lost the game)...the Pilots demonstrated more class and respect than the Roadrunners had. That's why I thought it was amusing!

In a "warped sense" ...I interpreted how they reacted to their win...as a tribute of Respect and Admiration for a program Clive founded and built with CLASS!! Sure they won the game...but who will remember them? The Pilots will live on.....
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down