Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10/12/2008 Cumulative Stats

+4
UPSoccerFanatic
Auto Pilot
DaTruRochin
FANatic
8 posters

Go down

10/12/2008 Cumulative Stats Empty 10/12/2008 Cumulative Stats

Post by FANatic Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:48 pm

10/12/2008 Cumulative Stats

You like stats? Click on above link for all stats Pilots through our most recent match. Team and individual stats are all there, if you are so inclined.

I alway like the goals scored for, and the goals scored against. In 12 matches played so far this season, in which we are 11-1, we have scored 40 goals, or an average of 3.33 goals per game. We have allowed a grand total of 3 goals, or an average of 0.25 goals scored per game.

Any way you want to look at it, it spells DOMINANCE! Twisted Evil
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

10/12/2008 Cumulative Stats Empty Re: 10/12/2008 Cumulative Stats

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:37 am

You have to love the balance too. 3 players in double digit points already?? That is what opposing coaches would like to call a nightmare to try and plan against.... Now I realize half of the double digiters will be gone in a month or so, it is encouraging to see that the team does spread it around and I hate to look too far ahead, but next year... They are going to be SCARY good...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:02 pm

Rochin - I agree about next year. If we stay healthy, we can destroy all pretenders. Smack!

This year's team is a real puzzler, given the loss of 3 top players for the playoffs. I've tried to send up warning flares before, but I have been taken down a peg each time by several of our most esteemed and knowledgeable members who insist we have the guts of a title contender without the Amigas.

So I put my faith not only in the players and coaches, but also in the confidence that so many of our top posters have in this team. Again, I've only seen the first two games, so I am at a big disadvantage as to what you all have seen out there on the field. Smile
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:59 pm

FAN your apprehensions about losing three of our top players at playoffs is certainly reasonable and I agree that next year we will probably be at least on paper stronger than this year.

However, as you know there are certain intangibles that can affect a season and a team's focus. I am reminded of a story of a baseball player who said he seemed to play better when he had a nagging little injury while he played. The focus on the injury helped him take his mind off the pressure and to concentrate on doing the best he could under the circumstances. The little added focus on playing through the injury relaxed him in a way. I can see a similarity here. Players are already overacheiving to fill the void when the nat players are missing. The whole situation is demanding excellence from the coaches as well as the players.

The team is on a mission and focused. They know they are up against a wall. I will take slightly less talented team with something to prove over a star studded overconfident team that takes things lightly any day. Not to say I am not excited about next year's team. Its just I am feeling we have a mojo going and with a little luck could bring home a championship if we are peaking at the right time. Look at SC last year.

There are no ego problems that I can perceive and the team love is strong. That is what is special about this year. Next year should be special too, but in a different way.

We see the warning flares and I for one agree they were warranted. Its not the perfect situation for us. But I have a good feeling about this one.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:47 pm

I'm with Auto Pilot about this year. Plus, I think the staff may be learning something for future years about continually trying out various lineups, with a small roster, so that every player is important throughout the season. It's certainly been an eye opener for me to see how that has produced maximum results from the team, at least for this year.

The other thing I think about is that the Pilots have given up only 3 goals in 12 games this year and will be returning all but Megan and Rachael next year. What a nightmare for opposing offenses next year! Twisted Evil
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:55 am

I'm one of those who has looked at the half full aspect of life PTA. Last weekend in Gonzaga we saw the team win he game comfortably without the three. I know that Gonzaga on the road is not UCLA in Cary, NC but there are signs of the team coming together. Playing without the U20s is not just about giving time to the three players who come in: it's also about the remaining 8 having to play up. The biggest thing I noticed was the way that Megan R and Sophie appear to be stepping up and leading the team. Michelle O too.

One game is too little to come to any conclusions. Let's wee what happens this weekend. As if we need any more motivation to go to the games!
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:54 am

Everytime I see a line up change or players floating from position to position I think of the Dutch concept of "total soccer" developed at Ajax Amsterdam football club in Holland by Jack Reynolds and Rinus Michels. For those really old timers out there it was once unthinkable for a defender to score a goal during the run of play. They were there to play defense; thats it.

The Dutch evolved the game with the philosophy that every field player should have the technical and tactical skills and move into different roles and position to create and play into space and switch into positions vacated by players making dynamic moves from their positions (does this sound familiar). Well as history shows us, this paradigm shift in the philosophy of how the game should be played makes it the non-stop free flowing sport we see today. The idea of back passing to the keeper as an option to clearance is a relatively new practice (last 20 years). Now most all the teams demand a keeper who has good foot skills along with the rest of the keeper skill set.

While the Dutch invented total soccer teams like Spain and Brazil have put it into dominating practice. If you want to know more about Total Soccer here is the Wiki link you can use as a start off point. The more I read about this the more I realize how important it is to use this approach to be successful in the modern game. I would not be surprised to see an Ajax training manual on Bill or Garrett's bookcase, or open on the desk for that matter.

Wiki Total Soccer
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:36 pm

There are glimpses of that with this UP team; and I think we may see more next year.

I recall one of the goals that Elli scored when she was playing left defender but ended up in the 6-yard box slotting the ball home. Or Michelle Olivier - a central defender - moving into midfield and playing delicate one touch passes. Or Michelle E covering back and playing defender for a play because her defender was caught forward. Sophie can play most any position on the field - defense, mid, forward. Think of the number of times this team will play 20 passes around the field looking for the right opening.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

10/12/2008 Cumulative Stats Empty Why stop at 20?

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:48 pm

Martin Jol wrote: Think of the number of times this team will play 20 passes around the field looking for the right opening.

the real standard in my mind is 25, as in this example:

[
Cambiasso was a reserve defensive mid here.

I find myself watching this once a week. There are several versions on the web, too.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:35 pm

Great video- Amazing play.
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:58 am

All the passes reminded me of the women's game. Much more subtle and crafty than some of the men's bam-boom-boom styles of play.

It almost looked like they were stalling for time, putting their opponent to sleep. Then suddenly they're in their attacking end and 4 or 5 passes later a defensive back is kicking the ball past a stunned GK.

Great playmaking. Reminds me a bit of the Pilots Women. Glad you've got the video! Smile

(Or does it remind me a lot of the Pilots Women?) Hmmmm...
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:10 am

That style of play has become a trademark of Argentine soccer the last few years. The u23's did pretty much the same thing to Brasil in their semifinal game on the way to the gold medal at the Olympics. It frustrated Brasil so much they resorted to hard fouling.

Riquelme's part in it has become something of a talking point for Argentina fans. If you notice, he's the one passing backwards to the defense each time he gets the ball. It frustrates fans, but it's what makes the style work.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:54 pm

Now that you mention it, I recall seeing them, (I didn't realize it was one guy), continually passing back to the defense. I can see where that could frustrate fans and opponents alike.

That's when I thought they might be stalling, sitting on a lead or something. Then touch, touch, they're attacking and GOAL!!! Interesting style.

The Pilot women sometimes pass back to the defense, but only, I think when they have to. Otherwise our passing game is more of an attacking, wear 'em down style where someone makes a run down the sieline or dribbles/passes into the middle.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:12 pm

The back pass tends to have a couple of positive effects if done right. One it plays away from pressure on the ball. Second it will catch defenders who are ball watching flat footed when the pass comes back forward toward their goal. I think its about third on the pilot popular pass list next to the through ball and the give and go.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:04 am

To the list of popular Pilot passes (say that 3 times fast) add the cross-pitch shift-the-attack cross as practiced and perfected by Megan R. She is always looking to send the ball the other way which lets Tsao or Sweeney or Burke or others to run the ball up the weak-side wing.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:14 pm

Totally agree PH a good center mid will always be looking to mix up the point of attack.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:19 pm

FANatic wrote:Now that you mention it, I recall seeing them, (I didn't realize it was one guy), continually passing back to the defense. I can see where that could frustrate fans and opponents alike.

That's when I thought they might be stalling, sitting on a lead or something. Then touch, touch, they're attacking and GOAL!!! Interesting style.

That change was also Riquelme. The shift to the scoring sequence starts when he Doesn't pass back to the defense but starts the sequence across the field to Cambiasso and Crespo for the goal.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:19 pm

Great signature line, geez.

When I read it I thought what great wisdom for such a young lady. I'm old!
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:36 pm

Here is the whole quote. She is smart to be quoting such a great man.

“Be ready when opportunity comes...Luck is the time when preparation and opportunity meet.”
Pierre Elliott Trudeau quotes (Canadian Prime Minister, 1919-2000)
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down