Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Article in Portland Tribune

+4
aleppiek
Auto Pilot
FANatic
Stonehouse
8 posters

Go down

Article in Portland Tribune Empty Article in Portland Tribune

Post by Stonehouse Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:25 am

Lots of good tidbits here... check it out:

Coach Garrett Smith traces the Portland Pilots’ 14-goal weekend to a week earlier, when the UP women’s soccer team totaled one goal in a split with powerhouses UCLA and USC.

“We felt we should have done more with our opportunities that weekend,” Smith says, “and the team was still hungry to put away some chances.”

The result: victories of 8-0 Friday over Kennesaw State and 6-0 Sunday over Colgate, both in the Husky Nike Invitational at Seattle.

If Kennesaw State and Colgate didn’t know what hit them, Smith does.

“We just unloaded,” he says. “Yes, the level of competition was a world apart from playing UCLA and USC, but more than anything we just converted and went into the games with a killer instinct that maybe we didn’t have the week before.

“We came out thinking, ‘Let’s try to score in the first minute, and let’s look for our chances. And if we can score three goals, let’s score three. And if we can score five, let’s score five.’

“It didn’t matter who we had in the game, and we used a lot of subs.”

The Pilots (4-1-0) got five goals in the two games from freshman Danielle Foxhoven, who had a hat trick on Sunday.

“As early as it is,” Smith says, “she’s been our most goal-dangerous player. She had the most opportunities versus USC (a 1-0 UP win), and she wishes she had some of them back. I think she’s gaining more confidence."

Foxhoven leads the team in goals (six) and points (13). She's taken a team-high 15 shots, four more than Megan Rapinoe and Charney Burk.

“She’s not going to dazzle you with 30-yard bombs, she’s just very intuitive around the goal, a pure goal-scorer," Smith says of Foxhoven, a 5-6 freshman from Littleton, Colo. "She’s always trying to find her spot. She plays off other people very well.”

• Smith says he’s looking forward to seeing Foxhoven up front more with Sophie Schmidt, who saw limited playing time over the weekend as she continues her gradual return from her role on Canada’s Olympic team.

• Forward/midfielder Megan Rapinoe also continues to pace herself in her return from knee surgery.

“She’s still trying to get her legs under her,” Smith says. “I still consider this her preseason. You probably won’t see the settled-in Megan Rapinoe for another month. She looks sharp and is getting more sure of herself every day, but judge her come November.”

• The Pilots’ scoring outbursts came in their first games since the loss of Megan’s sister, redshirt senior forward Rachael Rapinoe, who suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in the first half against USC. For the second year in a row, Rachael Rapinoe is lost for the year to a knee injury.

“Your heart just sunk for her when Rachael went down,” Smith says. “We all know the only reason she came back this year was to play with her sister and for the Pilots. She was all but done with school and could have graduated last year, and her plans have been to move on with her life after college soccer; she wasn’t going to play pro.

“If there was ever any extra motivation that our team needed, it’s to do well for Rachael. She’s still our team captain.”

• Michelle Enyeart had two goals against Kennesaw State and a goal and an assist versus Colgate. She scored Sunday on a penalty kick in the 15th minute, giving her four goals this season and 32 in her Pilot career, good for eighth on the school’s all-time list.

• Elli Reed had two assists in the Colgate match.

Keelin Winters and Kendra Chandhoke also scored versus Colgate.

• The Pilots return to practice Tuesday in preparation for the Nike Portland Invitational this weekend at the Clive Charles Soccer Complex.

Friday’s three-game slate begins with two women’s games: Washington-San Diego State at 3 p.m., and UP-Northern Arizona at 5:30 p.m. At 8 p.m., the Portland men face Washington in a game that will be carried live by Fox Soccer Channel.

On Sunday, two women’s games will take place on Merlo Field: Washington-NAU at noon, and UP-San Diego State at 2:30 p.m.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=122084228926823500
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Article in Portland Tribune Empty Re: Article in Portland Tribune

Post by FANatic Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:46 am

A nice wrap up by the Trib.

Interesting note: Garrett's reference to playing Sophie more up top with Danielle. Could be lethal with Megan at Center Mid and Charney and Kendra on the wings. (I'm purposely leaving off the U20's to see how we line-up without them.)
Article in Portland Tribune Stuck-tongue-044
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:07 am

One other thought on Trib article: Garrett mentions Megan is still working to get her legs under her. He says wait till November to judge her.

Wow! That says a lot right there. November is code for playoffs. Everyone knows we're losing three players in November. I am interpreting that to mean she is preparing to peak in the play-offs when we need her most.

Megan, if she gets healthy and back to form, (and she already has shown she is quickly heading in that direction), can be one of the very top players in the country.

If she is going nuts in November, with all the talent and depth we displayed this past week-end, suddenly I'm starting to believe we could be true title contentenders THIS SEASON!!!

Garrett certainly shows a quiet confidence in his interviews this season. He simply doesn't show any worry about anything. Me thinks this is a very positive sign.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:47 pm

Yes FAN, I get the feeling that the team may be exceeding Garrett's expectation at least for this point in the season. One could rightfully have assumed that having so many Freshmen starting that the team would be a late bloomer.

I think UCLA/USC weekend really steeled the team early. I hope that translate to a tough mindset that carries forth through the rest of preconference and conference.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:48 pm

Speaking of the U-20 WC who will some of the other top teams be losing, and by top team I am referring to the usual suspects.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:02 pm

UCLA - Lauren Barnes, Kristina Larson, Sydney Leroux, Kyke Wright
USC - Megan Ohai, Kristen Olsen
Florida State- Amanda DeCosta, Becky Edwards
North Carolina - Tobin Heath, Casey Nogueira, Megan Kligenberg

I was really surprised at UCLA I wasn't aware they would be missing that many quality players. And USC will be missing a top goal scorer in Megan Ohai and their GK. That explains why we say the other USC GK in the first half of our game.

I think UCLA and NC will be the teams hit the hardest. other than us of course.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:20 pm

I forgot about Stanford given that they were rated No. 1 Preseason.

Kelley Ohara, Alicia Jenkins, Christen Press, Kristen Stannard also consider that Ali Riley who plays for the NZ U-20s might be away from Stanford for this event as well.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:24 pm

That information puts one's mind a little more at ease about losing 3 from the Pilots.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:27 pm

Yeah, but not all of those will be gone for example Heath and Nogueira were on the full national team and wont play for the U-20's as well. but I am sure that at least a few of those players will be gone.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:31 pm

Auto Pilot wrote:I forgot about Stanford given that they were rated No. 1 Preseason.

Kelley Ohara, Alicia Jenkins, Christen Press, Kristen Stannard also consider that Ali Riley who plays for the NZ U-20s might be away from Stanford for this event as well.

Hmm....

Where'd you get that information?

Greham Hayes interviewed Tony Dicicco for an article August 19,Article here, and that article leads one to believe that UP is the only team sending more than one player at the moment (add Keelin to the list given). There are only a couple spots left, so not all the people you mention could be on the team unless injuries or poor play changes the picture.

My guess is you won't see more than one player from UCLA, USC or UNC on the USA team. Maybe two from Fla. St.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:41 pm

Geez I just picked it off the roster from the u-20 at the ussoccer site. It totally depends on who Tony picks to travel with the team but if he wants the players from UCLA I think Jill would be hard pressed to deny them given her long term involvement with the Youth and Fully National team.

I know what Dicicco says now but the team has been losing as of late (albeit to older teams) and he may decide on some new players.

http://www.ussoccer.com/teams/youth/u-20wnt/index.jsp.html
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:46 pm

One other consideration is that others have stated that the forwards are pretty well set, and if Tony is looking anywhere it is for defender when it comes time to set the final roster.

You mention O'Hara, but it seems clear she won't go. She apparently had a chance to show she's better than Noyola but didn't do that.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:01 pm

Ali Riley played for the full NZ team in the Olympics too so maybe that means she won't play for the U-20s as well.

I think you are correct in mentioning that the forwards are probably set but I wonder if Laurens Wilmuth and Barnes might be under consideration in the back.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:13 pm

Some food for thought, Tony was at the USC game watching.......

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:33 pm

Garrett's comment does appear to put Sophie upfront more likely. If Kendra starts for Elli; then that leaves the question of who will eventually cover for Keelin?

If Pilots go up early this weekend maybe we'll see some more options at play. Plenty of time to see how this unfolds, although I assume that Garrett wants to be done with experiments before WCC season starts. Winning the conferenceis high priority.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:12 pm

Martin - I agree Garrett is not done experimenting. What about Kassi or Sara Jackman or Halley Kreminski at holding mid?

I was under the impression that Halley is big, strong, good in the air and was under the radar in the recruiting scheme of things.

I have only seen Halley play for short minutes I believe up front against UCLA. She may be a natural defensive mid. If not, we do have a lot of bodies and the youngsters should only get better as the season progresses.

For that matter, Michelle O. could probably dominate at holding mid, and we still would have some pretty good center mids. But I doubt that. Michelle I think is going to anchor the back line for the next four years. Add Cloee next year, and Kelsey can sell popcorn while pretending to play GK.
Article in Portland Tribune Blues-brothers-076
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:43 am

Here is the U-20 roster that went to England to play against the English professional teams:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Chantel Jones (Virginia), Alyssa Naeher (Penn State)
DEFENDERS (6): Kaley Fountain (Wake Forest), Lauren Fowlkes (Notre Dame), Liz Harkin (ASU), Brittney Macdonald (Miami), Nikki Marshall (Colorado), Elli Reed (Portland)
MIDFIELDERS (5): Becky Edwards (Florida State), Christine Nairn (Freestate Freedom), Teresa Noyola (MVLA Mercury), Ingrid Wells (Georgetown), Keelin Winters (Denver, Colo.)
FORWARDS (7): Kiersten Dallstream (Washington State), Gina DiMartino (Boston College), Michelle Enyeart (Portland), Sydney Leroux (Sereno FC), Alyssa Mautz (Texas A & M), Alex Morgan (California), Nikki Washington (UNC)

Nairn is Penn State; Noyola is Stanford; Keelin obviously is Portland; Leroux is UCLA. My understanding is that except for a very few possible changes, this will be the roster for the U-20s. I understand that NC's Megan Klingenberg is one of the likely players to be added. I don't know who will drop out. This, of course, does not include players on the teams of other nations in the tournament. I know that Stanford has a NZ player. Bottom line is it looks like the Pilots will take the hardest hit, followed by Penn State and North Carolina and, possibly, Stanford.

When one considers the upcoming professional league and the young players wanting to make the teams as soon as they get out of college, when the window for making the team will be the most wide open, our giving players up to the U-20 team takes on a whole new perspective. It certainly will help their prospects professionally. So, "Go Michelle, Keelin, and Elli!"
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:48 am

the organizing rules for this contest and the u17 WC require a roster of 21 - no alternates.

By rule, three of those must be Keepers. That means if the players UPSF mentions all go, all Tony has to do is find a third Keeper somewhere and his work is done. all in all, a pretty easy fall for him. If I had his job, I wouldn't have retired.

Organizing Regulations

2. The final team list of the 21 players (three of whom shall be goalkeepers)
selected to participate in the final competition shall be submitted to the
FIFA general secretariat, using the official form, at least ten working
days before the opening match of the final competition, as stipulated
in the relevant circular. The players on the final team list must be
chosen from the players on the provisional list.

So- it appears the third keeper must come off the provisional list, which I assume means from the team pool.

That leaves Kristen Arnold, Wendy Balogun, or Kristen Olsen as the final player.

Of course, injuries or really poor play could change that.
There really doesn't seem to be room for all the speculation about additional players.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:52 pm

You know Geezer after looking at your post again about possible GK's going, I am thinking maybe its Kristen Olsen. Remember in our game against USC she didn't start. Perhaps Coach Ali is getting the team ready to be without her in the line-up?
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:08 pm

Hmmm. It may well be her. She was in the June camp.

U.S. Under-20 Women’s National Team Roster – Boyds, Maryland June 9-16, 2007
Goalkeepers (3): Chantel Jones (Virginia), Alyssa Naeher (Penn State), Kristin Olsen (USC)

I wonder if it's possible he's trying to redshirt her but needs to keep her in case of injury?

I've heard that happens Rolling Eyes

But she's played in the San Diego and Georgia games, so an elective RS is out.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:53 pm

Ha Geez, I am sure you are well aware of such a situation.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down