Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Purple Pride

+4
Stonehouse
DaTruRochin
PilotNut
DTLegend
8 posters

Go down

Purple Pride Empty Purple Pride

Post by DTLegend Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:42 pm

Hi my name is David Thompson. I'm currently a sophamore here at UP. I, along with my buddy Clay Williams, have been selected to lead Purple Pride. Since this past year was the first that Purple Pride was an official club on campus the rules have changed a little from the past. Our goal however is to re-energize the student section, and the community who loves Pilot athletics. However we are starting from very little. Just for reading this, I'm assuming that you care about U of P and I'm asking for suggestions from you on what I could do to make next year better. Any suggestion would help. Thank you
-David

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Purple Pride Empty Re: Purple Pride

Post by PilotNut Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:36 pm

Welcome aboard, 13.

I read the article in The Beacon about the changes for next year, and it sounds good to me. I am sure that Stonehouse & the Rochins will be great resources for you... and I am sure most of us would help out however we can...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:12 am

Agreed, although I'm sure as an official student club your "restrictions" will be a bit more prevalent than we shared, but definitely if you ever want to talk about organization or whatever I know I am down, and the stonehouse is down... the 54 might be a bit out of town but yeah hit us up, I'll even let you touch the Coky jersey to get in touch with some Pilot lore...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:26 am

Congrats, David! I read that Beacon article too, and it sounds good... student leadership is definitely the key ingredient to success!

I know Clay real well... I'll be up at UP for the game tomorrow - I'm sure I'll see Clay there and we can talk about it. If you want to meet up after the game at the Cove or something (since your only as sophomore, I guess the T-Room is out), let me know.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:15 pm

Haha... well if we went to the T-Room Before 9 I'm pretty sure he could get in... Nothing better than discussing Purple Pride strategy over a delicious T-Burger....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:21 pm

I'm sorry, I don't know anyone on here, but i'd like to. I feel like you could help us out a lot. Who are you, what was purple pride like when you were here. Any information like that would be great, And I'll be able to go to the T-room in December, so before conference schedule.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:29 pm

Its amazing the difference between Purple Pride two years ago when they met up in my old neighbor's backyard, usually with "refreshments" before the game, then occasionally made it to the game for the 2nd half, and last year. It is moving in the right direction... nice to see a young guy taking a leadership role and excited about doing it. I am not a UP alum, and I certainly wish my University had some sort of student support organization.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Yo PP13... check our inbox on here!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:27 pm

As a long time observer of the student section, seems to me that it is important that the time out music (both canned and pep band) needs to be coordinated to get students involved. Done well, the students are part of the show. Students obviously enjoyed Zombie Nation a few years ago, and it is done at many other places to get the students involved. Theme music to match the opponent is fun; Beach Boys when Pepperdine is in town etc. Judicious timing of the fight song when the team makes a run. I suppose some old fuddy duddies like me complain about the music (too loud Rolling Eyes ), but hopefully the administration will decide an energized student section is more important than not waking up the old alums Sleep . I'm sure that if the end result is better results and more wins the oldtimers will stop complaining, or their seats will be taken by fans wanting to join the fun.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:14 am

If I remember correctly, didn't the band used to play the Darth Vader theme from "Star Wars" when the Zags would take the court?

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:29 am

We have in the past played the fight song when a timeout is called, and it doesn't take long in the band to know when it's coming, but as discussed after the Gonzaga game, the people from athletics that run the game decided to play recorded music when the opponent calls timeout. The band would play when the Pilots call a timeout. Some of the people in athletics realize this is not the best arrangement, but they aren't the ones doing the game planning.

I would rather keep playing whatever we're playing than acknowledge the existence of the Zags... Smile
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:18 am

Well, I still have visions of "Purple Haze" being the theme song for the student section, but unfortunately I think the kids these days just don't know that song. Very sad. But the band does a nice version of that. (Or at least they used to.)

But I agree with you, up7587... a theme song or pump-up song or whatever would be good, especially if it can get engrained in is a tradition.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:00 pm

Whaddaya mean "used to?" Razz We still have it. We also have "Purple People Eater," but I don't know if they know that one either. Some of these students probably can't name all 4 Beatles....
Way back in the day I think the student section was called the Purple Haze, and I recall seeing them in one of the floor sections behind the basket.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:12 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:Whaddaya mean "used to?" Razz We still have it.

I thought so, but I wasn't sure... all the games over the years have blended together a bit!

And I definitely remember Purple Haze the student group... and the Co-Pilots after them.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:14 am

these are great ideas, you guys are helping a ton, anything else that comes to mind?

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:30 am

Use the band. Smile We'd love to play stuff you guys want.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down