Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stanford Coach Trent Johnson to LSU...

4 posters

Go down

Stanford Coach Trent Johnson to LSU... Empty Stanford Coach Trent Johnson to LSU...

Post by PilotNut Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:45 pm

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10769382

Wow, this is really going to re-spin the coaching carousel on the west coast.

Who will replace Johnson? Randy Bennett? Bill Grier? Is this a job Mark Few would consider? Will Reveno be involved in this process? scratch

And then there is the second wave of activity... if USD or SMC opens up, is Ken Bone back in the mix? confused

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Stanford Coach Trent Johnson to LSU... Empty Re: Stanford Coach Trent Johnson to LSU...

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:29 pm

And Mike Montgomery at Cal?? (The Game will be very interesting next year) Its getting dicey on the Left Coast!!! This musical coaches routine is getting really old... I can't keep track of anyone... Mad
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Stanford Coach Trent Johnson to LSU... Empty Re: Stanford Coach Trent Johnson to LSU...

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:22 pm

I'm surprised that even the Stanford job is not one that a coach would stay at. I guess that even among the BCS schools, a coach will go with the better offer. No offense to LSU, but I would not think of their basketball program as being on the same level as Stanford's.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:22 pm

I bet there are a lot more 7 footers who can meet the LSU admission requirements than the Stanford requirements. I seem to remember Dale Brown had some pretty good teams several years ago. Of course Shaq played there, and also the best, Pistol Pete Maravich. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:34 pm

Thanks to Dons Central from the USF board for finding this. It's from John Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News, talking about candidates for the Stanford opening:

Former Stanford player/assistant Eric Reveno? A perfect fit in many ways, except he hasn’t posted a winning record in two years at Portland (the Pilots were in terrible shape when he took over — it’s a major rebuilding job).

But if Reveno gets it turned around in Portland and Stanford needs a coach in three or four years, then he’s the even-money favorite.

One name mentioned by a Stanford source (who had not spoken to Bowlsby) was Brad Holland, the former UCLA star and San Diego coach — remember, Bowlsby plucked Harbaugh from USD.

Holland is a good coach who’s used to working with academic restrictions and has tons of west coast recruiting connections. He brought in all the players that took San Diego to the WCC title and first-round win over UConn.

But I’m not sure how easy a sell Holland would be for Bowlsby: Lose the Pac-10 coach of the year, bring in a man who (rightly or wrongly) was dismissed by USD last spring.

St. Mary’s Randy Bennett? Perhaps.

San Diego’s Bill Grier? Maybe.

Gonzaga’s Mark Few? If you’re Bowlsby, you have to make the call.

http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/collegesports/2008/04/10/trent-johnson-bolts-for-lsu-what-happened-and-whats-next-for-stanford/

I think that analysis about Reveno is spot on.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:45 pm

Wow... I'm surprised at this:

The names we continue to hear for Stanford are those such as Old Dominion's Blaine Taylor, Saint Mary's Randy Bennett, Siena's Fran McCaffery, former Stanford assistant Eric Reveno.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox

That's from Jeff Goodman's blog on Fox Sports. It was posted today, and honestly I'm surprised that Reveno's name is still in the mix. Not because I don't think he can handle it - I think very highly of him as a coach - but because his overall record as a head coach isn't too hot and he hasn't completed the turn-around here yet.

But I think it just goes to show that his Stanford roots really count for something.

I still don't think they will offer him the job, but jeesh... this makes me a bit nervous.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:17 am

Ugh... I wish this thing would just get settled. I hate seeing Reveno's name popping up in all these articles. Two more today, from the San Jose Mercury News and the San Francisco Chronicle:

Portland’s Eric Reveno: Only one basketball coach on the planet understands Stanford as well as Reveno, a former Stanford player and assistant — and that coach currently resides in Berkeley.

***Stanford model thought No. 2: Bowlsby must hire a coach who not only understands Stanford’s academic mission but embraces it, who doesn’t fight with the admissions office or complain about who doesn’t get in school.

That course of action would spell quick and certain doom on The Farm. The most successful coaches at Stanford turn the admissions into a positive. And if you don’t believe in the school’s priorities, you can’t sell it to the recruits.

Reveno is well regarded as a developer of big men, which have always been central to Stanford’s success, and he’s well liked by the Stanford community/administration.

He’d be an absolute no-brainer except for the basketball end of things.

Reveno left The Farm two years ago to rebuild Portland, one of the worst programs on the west coast. The Pilots won just nine games this season, but they played hard and organized and had a ridiculously young roster.

Reveno’s candidacy depends on how important proven success is to Bowlsby. If it’s not essential, then Reveno could well be the next coach. If it is, then bet on Reveno getting the job the next time it opens.

http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/collegesports/2008/04/21/the-stanford-coaching-search-taylor-reveno-mccaffrey-and-other-names/

Oliver is believed to be the first person interviewed for the spot left open when Johnson left to take the head-coaching job at LSU.

Among the other candidates is Old Dominion coach Blaine Taylor, also a former Stanford assistant. Portland State coach Ken Bone had expressed an interest in the job, and Portland coach Eric Reveno is another possibility.

Stanford apparently approached Georgia Tech coach Paul Hewitt about the job, but he reportedly is staying put.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/21/SP5O109G7T.DTL

I don't like seeing the reports that they offered the job to McKillop from Davidson and Hewitt from Georgia Tech and they turned it down. My big fear in all of this is that they will miss out on their top candidates and will end up taking Reveno as their safe, solid back-up choice.

Again, I think Rev is a great coach and would be a good hire for them and I would be happy for him if he got the offer, but it would kind of break my heart to see him go because I really do see a lot of potential in this group we've got right now.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down