Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elliott Signs with German Team

+4
golaso
aleppiek
UPSoccerFanatic
Stonehouse
8 posters

Go down

Elliott Signs with German Team - Page 2 Empty Re: Elliott Signs with German Team

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:32 pm

footyfan wrote:The end of the season is too late for the team to recruit behind you. Good recruits are gone by then. If you have plans to leave, declare them so others can plan for your replacement.

I agree..However, every coach...From Biggs to Capello is ALWAYS looking to upgrade. Doesn't matter the position or the player..If they can get a quality player they aren't going to pass one up.

I agree there, too.

But with 9.9 only scholarships to distribute, you have to ba able to plan somehow.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Elliott Signs with German Team - Page 2 Empty Re: Elliott Signs with German Team

Post by Stonehouse Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:13 pm

I really don't know much about it other than to say that my feeling on the matter is that it's more a matter of perception than anything else.

I think that everyone expected Conor Casey, Heath Pearce, Kelly Gray, Nate Jaqua, etc. to be leaving early. They had the talent, and could easily be signed to a pro contract. Ditto for Alex.

As for some of the other guys... Dallman and Sanders... maybe they weren't expecting them to go and were thus surprised. But I remember with Sanders there was some questioning even into the summer if he was going to be coming back or not - he needed to wait and hear from the German team, I suppose, but still... not really a great situation for a coaching staff trying to prepare for the upcoming season.

As for Dallman, I think something must have happened behind the scenes (and honestly I am totally guessing here), because his name wasn't even mentioned once at the season ticket holder awards banquet. So maybe there is more to that story than meets the eye. Maybe a falling out?

Salazer kind of just bolted in the night... his situation is a bit of an outlier.

Anyway, I think overall we just have to embrace it and start using it as a recruiting tool; maybe start changing the mindset to how a big-time college basketball program operates. Lots of top-notch HS soccer players in the US probably don't plan on playing college for a full four years, so they want to go to a program that has proven it can develop talent and send people on to the pros. UP has clearly sent tons of players on to the pros in recent years (though the high-water mark of that was four-five years ago), so maybe that can help us attract some elite players.

Of course, you always want to get kids who will stay the whole four years, but still... talent wins games.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:27 pm

he is already getting some playing time...

Saarbrücken - victories 1:1 SIEGEN: Birkenbach; Weikl (70 Gallego), Genet (70 Islamoglu), Assoumani (70 Bogusz), Throm (35th Elliott), Nemeth (60th Gaede), Buehrer (70 Pospischil ), El Berkani (70th Unger), Pentecost (70 Hock), Mueller (60th Popovic), Okpala (70 Blessin). - Tore: 0:1 Popovic (63.), 1:1 Karaoglan (78.). -- Tore: 0:1 Popovic (63), 1:1 Karaoglan (78th).

the thing i find weird about the deal is if i am reading this correct is the team is not paying his salary... two sponsors are paying it...

Elliott Signs with German Team - Page 2 Tempxt9
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm

ohhh_yeah wrote:he is already getting some playing time...

the thing i find weird about the deal is if i am reading this correct is the team is not paying his salary... two sponsors are paying it...

Cool!
But I'm sure they wanted to see what he could do. The real test will be to see if he stays in the lineup.

I think in lower divisions, that's often how it's done. Sometimes you even get to share in the take if he gets sold.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by footyfan Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:26 pm

Stonehouse wrote:I really don't know much about it other than to say that my feeling on the matter is that it's more a matter of perception than anything else.

I think that everyone expected Conor Casey, Heath Pearce, Kelly Gray, Nate Jaqua, etc. to be leaving early. They had the talent, and could easily be signed to a pro contract. Ditto for Alex.

As for some of the other guys... Dallman and Sanders... maybe they weren't expecting them to go and were thus surprised. But I remember with Sanders there was some questioning even into the summer if he was going to be coming back or not - he needed to wait and hear from the German team, I suppose, but still... not really a great situation for a coaching staff trying to prepare for the upcoming season.

As for Dallman, I think something must have happened behind the scenes (and honestly I am totally guessing here), because his name wasn't even mentioned once at the season ticket holder awards banquet. So maybe there is more to that story than meets the eye. Maybe a falling out?

Salazer kind of just bolted in the night... his situation is a bit of an outlier.

Anyway, I think overall we just have to embrace it and start using it as a recruiting tool; maybe start changing the mindset to how a big-time college basketball program operates. Lots of top-notch HS soccer players in the US probably don't plan on playing college for a full four years, so they want to go to a program that has proven it can develop talent and send people on to the pros. UP has clearly sent tons of players on to the pros in recent years (though the high-water mark of that was four-five years ago), so maybe that can help us attract some elite players.

Of course, you always want to get kids who will stay the whole four years, but still... talent wins games.

Unfortunatly it looks like Alex is out of contract...Not sure what his plans are for the upcoming season. From what I heard he got in a few games. The team lost some sponsorship money and they had to unload players.

footyfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down