Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chiles Foundation $5 Million Gift

3 posters

Go down

Chiles Foundation $5 Million Gift Empty Chiles Foundation $5 Million Gift

Post by ExpatPilot Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:45 pm

Seems that no one else has posted this?

I'm not sure what the UP records may be, but I would guess that $5 million is up there with the largest gifts to Athletics. Curious to see what this leads to. Part of me wonders if this was inevitable with the Rip City Remix using Chiles that it would need some improvements to be NBA standard. That being said, I recognize that with every sport essentially housed in Chiles in some form or another there might be some general improvements made around the building.

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2023/10/18/general-university-of-portland-announces-5-million-gift-from-chiles-foundation.aspx

Last edited by ExpatPilot on Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Chiles Foundation $5 Million Gift Empty Re: Chiles Foundation $5 Million Gift

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:02 am

It's my understanding the UP Athletic Department has been in discussions with the Chiles Foundation for quite a while, well before the Remix was even a consideration, about funding to maintain the structure that Earle and Virginia Chiles funded over 40 years ago.

Any structure of that vintage needs repairs and upkeep, and that is what the bulk of $5 million will be used for with some money left over for needed upgrades.    

Perhaps the most important and costly expense is the domed roof that was relatively unique for its era, but once again requires repair.  

Because the Chiles Center is used for so many events all year round, I think the biggest upgrade will be the addition of an HVAC system to go along with the new seats, scoreboard, sound system, and floor that have been added recently.

Except for the rowing team, all the varsity teams do the majority of their training and work in the Chiles Center, and to some extent the Beauchamp Center, so it's pretty clear all the coaches will be hoping for some "left over" money to upgrade their areas too.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11265
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:46 pm

I’ve been wondering about the even newer floor that now sits atop the recently redone floor.

Does anyone know if that’s from this fund or is it from the remix needing to meet some nba regulation the arena floor didn’t meet?

Also can we take it with us to the moda center next time a big name team needs to get a player a visit home as long as we don’t take the part that says Chiles center

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:12 am

dholcombe wrote:I’ve been wondering about the even newer floor that now sits atop the recently redone floor.

Does anyone know if that’s from this fund or is it from the remix needing to meet some nba regulation the arena floor didn’t meet?

Also can we take it with us to the moda center next time a big name team needs to get a player a visit home as long as we don’t take the part that says Chiles center
No, not from the Chiles Foundation

Yes, it can be moved most anywhere with about a 2-day turnaround.

The floor, last used at the WBB NCAA Final-Four in 2022, will be removed and stored at the end of the Remix season in March...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11265
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down