Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pepperdine @ Pilots Saturday Jan 21 @ 3pm

3 posters

Go down

Pepperdine @ Pilots Saturday Jan 21 @ 3pm Empty Pepperdine @ Pilots Saturday Jan 21 @ 3pm

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:15 am

Remember, it's a 3 o'clock tipoff!

Don't be fooled by PU's 0-6 record, they are a very athletic bunch and a very good shooting team, with four of the starting 5 averaging double figures, led by #24 Lewis Maxwell dropping 19 ppg.

Whereas USD was a very mature team of transfers, PU is VERY young with only freshmen and sophomore starters and only one transfer on the team...former USC F 6-10 Boubacar Coulibay from Bamako, Mali.  

PU can kill a team with its 3-point shooting, and to this point, UP has been very generous in allowing its opponents to shoot lights-out in the Chiles Center from beyond the arc.

KenPom rates PU better than UP at 156 vs. 165, while the NET cannot decide if UP or PU is 180 from day to day.

UP is favored by anywhere from 2 to 4.5 points.

This game is televised on the ROOT/ROOT+ with Ann and Jenn calling the play.

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11237
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Pepperdine @ Pilots Saturday Jan 21 @ 3pm Empty Re: Pepperdine @ Pilots Saturday Jan 21 @ 3pm

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:56 pm

Great first half.

First part of second half could've been better. Root Sports stream also started glitching and technical difficulty-ing around this time which wasn't helping.

Pepperdine @ Pilots Saturday Jan 21 @ 3pm Td-sim10

Post-game radio with Legans and Chika: https://vocaroo.com/1bZ538QKLkKW
(who is Chika's Australian GF on the women's team I wonder :thinking:)
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Pepperdine @ Pilots Saturday Jan 21 @ 3pm Empty Re: Pepperdine @ Pilots Saturday Jan 21 @ 3pm

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:38 pm

Wow, PU is the most athletic WCC team I recall seeing in recent years.  Long and lean with wonderful jumping ability, they were fun to watch. I was told NBA scouts were at the game to evaluate a couple of players...

Man of the match has to be Chika.   In the starting lineup for the second straight game, he defended all five positions and was often guarding players while facing great height and wingspan disparity, but used toughness to his advantage while annoying the PU players.

As good as UP's offense was (21 assists on 31 field goals and 14/24 from deep), the tenacious "help-out" defense and clogging the passing lanes when PU started making runs was the difference against a PU team that is capable of putting up big numbers.

Tough week ahead as the Pilots travel to LMU for a Thursday rematch and face a well-rested GU next Saturday in front of a sellout crowd.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11237
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Snus Junction Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:34 pm

Loved the game and Chikas comment how he was able to defend bigger people and all 5 positions: “I make them hate me(paraphrase)” So put him on Timme:)
We played well but again out rebounded which will only get more challenging. And we tend to get relaxed with 20 point leads The game was closer than the score
Joey St Pierre is slow but he is a big, tall body who might help around the rim Where is Joey? MIA last 3 games.
Kudos to all but agains I single out Applewhite and Gordosimo.

Snus Junction
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2020-07-14

Back to top Go down