Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seattle U. @ Pilots Saturday 11/19 @ 5pm

+5
up7587
Sound Voltex
Dean Murdoch
NoPoNeighbor
DoubleDipper
9 posters

Go down

Seattle U. @ Pilots Saturday 11/19 @ 5pm Empty Seattle U. @ Pilots Saturday 11/19 @ 5pm

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:20 am

Game time TODAY is 5pm...the Pilot Club opens at 4.

The game will be streamed on the WCC Network while Jason and Joel will handle the radio call on 910.

The Pilots, a little beat up after their road trip to Ohio and Colorado (Mike is doubtful for tonight), have still not found the sharpness and rhythm they need, and while the Seattle defense will be keying on Tyler, the rest of the team has got to limit turnovers and hit some 3-pointers.

We have seen some brilliant play from Juanse and Alden in limited action, and the work of Chika down low has been remarkable...now it is time for the Pilots to go hard to the glass and use their size for points in the paint freeing up the outside shooters.

ABOUT SEATTLE U
Cameron Tyson, brother of former Pilot and current Seattle assistant coach D'Marques Tyson, is averaging an eye-popping 33.5 points per game.
The Redhawks (3-0) have defeated UC San Diego (85-71), Puget Sound (106-55) and Portland State (83-71) to start the season.
Seattle U finished last year 23-9 overall and as co-champions of the Western Athletic Conference with a 14-4 league record.
Head coach Chris Victor returns for his second season and brings back four starters and nine total lettermen.
Cameron Tyson and Riley Grigsby were named to the WAC Preseason Team.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11253
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Dean Murdoch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Seattle U. @ Pilots Saturday 11/19 @ 5pm Empty Re: Seattle U. @ Pilots Saturday 11/19 @ 5pm

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:55 pm

Most in Las Vegas are favoring the Pilots by 3 points with a 150 o/u, but I have seen some sites calling it a tossup.

KenPom is going for UP, 77-72.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Seattle U. @ Pilots Saturday 11/19 @ 5pm Empty Re: Seattle U. @ Pilots Saturday 11/19 @ 5pm

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:13 pm

I’ve been disappointed so far that the new big guys, St Pierre and Lowell, have been complete non-factors. These guys are both veterans, and touted as major recruiting ‘gets.’ What gives?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:43 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:I’ve been disappointed so far that the new big guys, St Pierre and Lowell, have been complete non-factors. These guys are both veterans, and touted as major recruiting ‘gets.’  What gives?

I guess you never really know until you get everyone on campus? It looks like JSP is starting to carve out a useful role, but yeah it's for sure surprising that Lowell hasn't seen more.

Seems like they only have one of V/JSP/WL on the floor about half of the time. I don't think Seattle has any scary posts, but the next opponent on the schedule sure has one... don't think they will get away without having one of those guys on the court against UNC or else Bacot will eat them alive.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:51 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:
NoPoNeighbor wrote:I’ve been disappointed so far that the new big guys, St Pierre and Lowell, have been complete non-factors. These guys are both veterans, and touted as major recruiting ‘gets.’  What gives?

I guess you never really know until you get everyone on campus? It looks like JSP is starting to carve out a useful role, but yeah it's for sure surprising that Lowell hasn't seen more.

Seems like they only have one of V/JSP/WL on the floor about half of the time. I don't think Seattle has any scary posts, but the next opponent on the schedule sure has one... don't think they will get away without having one of those guys on the court against UNC or else Bacot will eat them alive.

Guess they're being saved for UNC? (Barring undisclosed injury.)

No sign of V this entire game and Lowell only played 2 minutes.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:29 pm

Postgame Coach Legans said being tired is not an excuse. But the scheduling of this game did the Pilots no favors. Seattle's last game was a home game 6 days ago. Pilots played two road games since then. For an opponent that was quicker to begin with, it showed. The Pilots were late to several loose balls, Tyler was short on several shots in the paint, and the 4-1/2 minute start to the 2nd half saw the Pilots miss 5 shots, and go from up 6 to down 4. Pilots never got the lead back.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1366
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Snus Junction likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:03 am

I love Robertson, but this seems like the time to develop other leaders and more balance so tiredness isn't an issue and he doesn't have to play so many minutes.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldguyfan Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:39 am

Gorosito is still learning but I see him as a future leader.

And oh, would have the outcome been different if Mike Meadows would have played?

Oldguyfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2021-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:20 am

up7587 wrote:But the scheduling of this game did the Pilots no favors.

I was actually wondering about this myself a couple of days ago. I wonder what the reasoning was? Pilots don't play again until Thursday, Seattle plays a D3 team on Wednesday and don't have another game against a D1 team about the 28th. Seems like this game could have easily been scheduled for today or even Monday, though I'm sure there's a reason it ended up the way it did.

I kept waiting for the Pilots to get Sjolund more involved down the stretch. He had that one span where he took 4 shots in a row early in the second half and then I'm not sure if he had another attempt the rest of the game.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Snus Junction Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:29 pm

There were two games played last night against Seattle. The first game was called tight and they got a lot of fouls The second game not so many fouls . It got rough out there especially for Chika. The technicals and flagrant - especially against him were over the top and too much. Under the basket Su player used his elbows - number 23 - and Chika gets it called against him. And coach Leggins may say getting tired there’s no excuse maybe not but that was one tired team in the second half which lost its lead early and the momentum shifted and we couldn’t get it back.
I think I read that we had lost six games in a row to SU? Not sure but if Gonzaga leaves for another conference SU would be a great addition to the WCC.
Bottom line: we got our butts kicked but that happens and we go forward from there

Snus Junction
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2020-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by badcoverage Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:53 pm

I love the chatter...keep it coming. On another note, I think the absence of Chris Austin, his toughness, his ability to knock down a three, crash the boards and take it to the rack is definitely missed. I also hope that one of the two big men take that next step and secure the position. I think Coach Legans would prefer a little stability at that position.

Last edited by jarrettbryant01@gmail.com on Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Mis-spelled name)
badcoverage
badcoverage
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2022-11-01

Dean Murdoch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:59 pm

jarrettbryant01@gmail.com wrote:I love the chatter...keep it coming. On another note, I think the absence of Chris Austin, his toughness, his ability to knock down a three, crash the boards and take it to the rack is definitely missed. I also hope that one of the two big men take that next step and secure the position. I think Coach Legans would prefer a little stability at that position.
Welcome, Jarrett, Sr.

Yes, we commented more than once last night that Chris and his muscles could have made a big difference in the game.  Standing as he does, at the end of the bench, Chris in his glasses looks very much the scholarly grad student, which his, but we'd all rather see him as the scary athlete on the court.

It is natural for many of us to be despondent after the Seattle U. game, but Seattle was able to play 40 minutes while the Pilots were only good for about 25.  As Legs said, it's not an excuse but 5 games in 12 days to include travel across the country was very telling in the 2nd half as fatigue set in and the usual discipline on both sides of the ball disappeared.  

As far as a man in the middle goes, I think Joey does a wonderful job when he's in there by taking up space and protecting the rim, but his playing time is apparently limited physically.  I am only guessing Vasilije did not play because he would do better in a more structured environment than Seattle presented...but that's just a guess.

With their next 3 foes being major programs to include the #1 team in the nation, the win column will be looking pretty empty for a while...let's just hope these tough games are preparing the team for WCC play which begins at home on December 29.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

badcoverage likes this post

Back to top Go down