Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2023 Recruiting

+2
DoubleDipper
Adam
6 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

2023 Recruiting Empty 2023 Recruiting

Post by Adam Sat May 28, 2022 9:15 am

2023 Recruiting Fb_img11

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02LhcpWHgfYyDKwne6SLUDJpzhcBeNRjCd2p9FJC2dbPgcpeRrzy4WR8NmUJH2Y4AQl&id=100029619825565

Adam
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2021-03-12

wrv and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

2023 Recruiting Empty Re: 2023 Recruiting

Post by Adam Sat May 28, 2022 9:16 am

https://youtu.be/wgD7ZQY4z_I

Adam
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat May 28, 2022 10:27 am

Adam wrote:https://youtu.be/wgD7ZQY4z_I
From the tape: Good length, good court vision, adept with both hands, can shoot with a quick release, a good ball handler, and appears comfortable under the basket.

With another season of high school ball to play, Dyani Ananiev looks to have the potential to get stronger and quicker with a good chance of one day being a star in the WCC.

And she's old-school, "inspired by Larry Bird and Lauren Jackson."

Thanks for keeping an Aussie eye out for UP commits, Adam.

Results from her last game five days ago: https://central.rookieme.com/basketball/deadly-dyani-delivers-win-for-wyndham/
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11267
Registration date : 2011-11-03

bullwinkle, Adam and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:45 am

Rhyan Mogel, 5'10" shooting guard, from Clackamas(and/or Lasalle earlier?), has committed to Portland for 2023. Uncertain whether she is a walk on or has received a scholarship offer. Either way, welcome  Rhyan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Q3-rPOAvs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96oVoT7bvQ8

https://pamplinmedia.com/cr/25-sports/515643-412082-clackamas-rhyan-mogel-named-mt-hood-conference-girls-basketball-player-of-the-year

https://news.scorebooklive.com/oregon/2022/02/23/oregons-best-high-school-girls-basketball-players-meet-the-top-stars-in-the-6a-mt-hood-conference

https://news.scorebooklive.com/oregon/2022/03/09/back-from-injury-just-in-time-rhyan-mogel-could-be-clackamas-secret-weapon-at-6a-girls-basketball-state-tournament?utm_source=ground.news&utm_medium=referral

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

DoubleDipper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:18 am

2023 Recruiting Scree111

Ryhan is likely a walk-on, but it is difficult to know for sure without asking... Laughing

With Dyani Ananiev taking Haylee's scholarship spot upon her departure in the spring, there may not be any scholarships left.

Keeley, Alex, Kelsey and Liana each have the extra COVID year they can use, or they could all graduate and leave school with eligibility remaining, but that seems unlikely.

Of the four, Kelsey might be the most likely to decide to leave if her back problems continue to keep her out of action.  Liana has already received a medical redshirt year for her knee injury, so she could eventually have six years at UP.

With the portal, one never knows what may happen...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:18 pm

I am going to weigh in to suggest that Rhyan Mogel is not likely a walk on, though I hedge my bet somewhat. Her later tapes show her developing skills, ball handling, greater overrall quickness and improved shooting form. Noting that she was already the Mount Hood POY, it seems that she is a good candidate for 1st team all-state this coming year, baring further injury. That is a scholarship level player--note too she is apparently a 4.0 GPA student who would qualify for some academic scholarships. We'll see.

I know nothing of possible portal use by the existing squad, nor whether someone might not return because of injury.

I have linked a more recent video which shows her improved play with NW Select.

Go Pilots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GpPeNmwHfY

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:30 pm

Although academic scholarships only relevant if a walk-on. Bball as a full ride head count means cant receive additional aid on top. Found this out with Emma who was awarded an academic scholarship and got excited, but then couldnt receive it due to bball scholarship being full ride.

Adam
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:19 pm

Yeah, I was aware that academic and athletic, basketball scholarships are an either/or proposition for a perspective student athlete.  The point is that Rhyan Mogel may have enough academic scholarship available that being a walk on will not be an overly expensive way for her to attend.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:09 pm

OK. Sorry misread your point as it was in the same sentence as saying she is athletic scholarship worthy.

Adam
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:22 pm

More importantly, I am truly looking forward to seeeing your daughter on the court this fall. Based on what I have seen so far, she is "likely" to contribute in a meaningful way.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:27 pm

wrv wrote:More importantly, I am truly looking forward to seeeing your daughter on the court this fall. Based on what I have seen so far, she is "likely" to contribute in a meaningful way.

Thank you. Do you see some trainings? It is the hardest part for me as a parent a world away who was on the sideline all her life lol and not there to see her progress after her injury... just hearing 'good' when I ask how she is going 😁

She was certainly feeling a lot more confident in her knee and fitness late last season and after blowing out some cobwebs and fear with getting in a few games at Nationals here in the off season. Just have my fingers crossed for her!

Adam
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:16 pm

A high ranking of Rhyan Mogel:

https://www.prepgirlshoops.com/2021/04/eot-spring-gem-state-classic-all-oregon-team-part-1/

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:25 pm

One more note about Mogel:

Mogel to Pilots

Clackamas senior Rhyan Mogel has committed to the University of Portland.

The 5-foot-10 guard was voted the MHC player of the year as a sophomore but suffered a torn ACL and missed most of her junior season, returning for the playoffs. Cavaliers coach Korey Landolt said that Mogel has fully recovered and had “an amazing AAU spring” with the Northwest Selects.

“Her range is looking great,” Landolt said. “She's explosive to the basket. She's back to where she was as a sophomore, and better, because she's now older. She's so strong.”

Mogel averaged 17.3 points, 6.6 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 4.4 steals and shot 42.5 percent from three-point range as a sophomore.

The working relationship between her club coach, Angie Sun, and Portland coach Michael Meek helped facilitate Mogel's recruitment to the Pilots.

“Michael Meek is turning that program into something to be reckoned with," Landolt said. "I'm excited for her to be coached by him. He's such a good teacher and she is just a sponge. She's almost like having another coach on my staff.”

The Cavaliers, who went 27-3 and reached the 6A semifinals in 2021-22, will be among the state favorites this season. But they suffered a setback last month when guard Dylan Mogel, Rhyan's sister and a first-team MHC selection as a freshman last season, tore her ACL. She had surgery last week and is out for at least six months.

https://www.osaa.org/today/article/2798/view

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Adam and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:25 pm

2023 Recruiting Lainey10

For those who have followed UP WBB for a while, get ready to feel even older. Lainey is the daughter of former UP great and UP HOF member, Kristen Hepton Spear and her husband Todd.

2023 Recruiting Kriste10

Lainey's Beaverton HS Coach wrote:LAINEY’S SUPERIOR SPEED, STRENGTH, LENGTH AND EXPLOSIVENESS MAKE HER A HIGHLY COVETED PROSPECT WITH OFF THE CHARTS POTENTIAL.  SHE IS 6’2 (AND STILL GROWING) AND ONE OF THE STRONGEST AND QUICKEST PLAYERS I HAVE EVER COACHED.  AT FULL SPEED SHE CAN STOP ON A DIME AND CHANGE DIRECTIONS.  WITH HER TREMENDOUS STRENGTH, SPEED, HEIGHT AND SUPERB INTELLIGENCE SHE CAN GUARD ANY POSITION, DISRUPT THE FLOW OF THE OPPONENT’S OFFENSE AND ALTAR SHOTS.  LAINEY’S HIGH BASKETBALL IQ AND WILLINGNESS TO VERBALLY COMMUNICATE ON THE COURT ELEVATES THE LEVEL OF PLAY FOR HER WHOLE TEAM ON BOTH ENDS OF THE FLOOR.  SHE IS AN INTENSE COMPETITOR, EXPLOITS MISMATCHES AND POSSESSES AN OUTSTANDING TRANSITION GAME.  HER INCREDIBLE ATHLETICISM AND FIERCE COMPETITIVE SPIRIT LEAD ME TO BELIEVE SHE CAN PLAY AT A VERY HIGH LEVEL IN THE FUTURE.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

wrv and Adam like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:43 am

Though I was an "altar" boy for some time, can't say I know what "altar shots" are. Mass wine would seemingly not qualify.
Lainey looks like quite the find for coach Meek.

Go Pilots

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:29 am

wrv wrote:Rhyan Mogel, 5'10" shooting guard, from Clackamas(and/or Lasalle earlier?), has committed to Portland for 2023. Uncertain whether she is a walk on or has received a scholarship offer. Either way, welcome  Rhyan.
Rhyan will be on a basketball scholarship beginning next summer!

I have added one more tape to the collection that wrv had already posted.  Like the other tapes, it too is relatively old because Mogel missed her entire junior year until the playoffs due to injury.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

wrv and Adam like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:23 pm

An update of her MVP season in this article, Ananiev appears to be part of a formidable recruiting class for the Pilots, assuming all three ultimately become Pilots.

https://central.rookieme.com/basketball/awesome-ananiev-an-offensive-weapon/

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

DoubleDipper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:01 pm

wrv wrote:An update of her MVP season in this article, Ananiev appears to be part of a formidable recruiting class for the Pilots, assuming all three ultimately become Pilots.
The early NLI signing period runs from November 10 to November 17...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:17 pm

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2022/11/9/mens-basketball-portland-mens-basketball-signs-dynamic-guard-vince-delano.aspx

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2022/11/9/womens-basketball-announces-three-signees-from-class-of-2023.aspx

Coach Mark Meek wrote:We are absolutely elated about our '23 class," Portland Head Coach Michael Meek. "We feel we are getting two of the top prospects in Oregon and a dynamic wing-type player out of Australia. All three of these athletes are committed to hard work and individual improvement while being great additions to our team culture. All three of these athletes are capable of making an immediate impact, and we are very excited to welcome them to the Portland Pilot family.

Coach said similar things tonight when he addressed the Pilot Club following the women's win over Hawaii.

Last edited by up7587 on Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Posted correct link, as pointed out by DD.)

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:24 am

Fixed the link on your post:

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2022/11/9/womens-basketball-announces-three-signees-from-class-of-2023.aspx

No surprises, but all excellent additions to next year's squad.

Lainey Spear – 6-2 – Forward – Portland

Rhyan Mogel – 5-10 – Guard – Happy Valley

Dyani Ananiev – 6-1 – Wing – St. Andrews, Victoria
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Adam, Fox Mulder and up7587 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:08 pm

A summation of 6A prep girls competition in Oregon, with prominent mentions of Lainey Spear and Rhyan Mogel:

https://osaa.org/today/article/3040/view

Lainey Spear, of defending champions Beaverton, and state player of  the year last  year, is working on her offense, to pair with her already stellar defense.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:49 am

#2 Clackamas beat #1 Beaverton on the road yesterday and ended the Beavers 23-game winning streak. The win avenges two losses by Clackamas to eventual state champion Beaverton last season.

UP bound Rhyan Mogel, coming off a missed season due to an ACL injury, led the Cavaliers with 13 points, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists.  

UP signee and reining 6A POY, Lainey Spear, led the Beavers with 19 points, 13 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, and 2 blocks.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:04 am

DoubleDipper wrote:#2 Clackamas beat #1 Beaverton on the road yesterday and ended the Beavers 23-game winning streak. The win avenges two losses by Clackamas to eventual state champion Beaverton last season.

UP bound Rhyan Mogel, coming off a missed season due to an ACL injury, led the Cavaliers with 13 points, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists.  

UP signee and reining 6A POY, Lainey Spear, led the Beavers with 19 points, 13 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, and 2 blocks.

Because I live not too far from the site of the game, I decided to take it in. I had the misfortune of siting to the left of the student section, which stood the entire time, except half time, obstructing my view of part of the court.

I went to see our two commits. Lainery Spear was described by Coach Meek as working on her offensive game: it was somewhat evident as she was called for three travels while working in the post. She shot a number of threes, making two by my count, missing five. She is a hustler and a presence defensively and most definitely athletic. Even with her deserved accolades, she will be something of a project.

Mogel handled the ball for Clackamas and largely did a fine job--she retains her composure under duress, does not rattle. Mogel's leadership skills were evident--her team looked to her in big moments. She can run a team, a skill that may be in demand next year.

Clackamas won, so it may seem redundant to suggest they appeared the better team last night despite Beaverton's scoring runs.

""With most of last year's team back, and some key additions, Clackamas' ceiling appears limitless.

“It just depends on us and how much we want to lock in and buy into our non-negotiables, our goals for each other,” said Mogel, who missed most of last season while recovering from a torn ACL. “It's really kind of on us. To get this type of win early on is good, but it shows we've got to keep working.”"

https://www.oregonlive.com/highschoolsports/2022/12/girls-basketball-rhyan-mogel-scores-15-points-as-clackamas-tops-beaverton-in-a-battle-of-two-of-oregons-top-teams.html

https://www.osaa.org/today/article/3055/view?title=Girls+basketball%3A+Clackamas+ends+Beaverton+win+streak+at+23

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:46 am

Rhyan Mogel,  Clackamas, and Lainey Spear, Beaverton, will not be meeting in the prep girls state championship, but will be meeting in the quarterfinals next Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. right here in the Chiles center.

An excerpt from a recent Oregonian article relating Rhyan's excitement at playing on her future home court:

Rhyan Mogel added that a major key for the Cavaliers in the final days of the state tournament will be trusting each other on both sides of the ball.

The trip to Chiles won’t be the first for Mogel, as she played limited minutes last season as she was rehabbing her injury, but it will be her first as a starter for the Cavaliers. She also said next week will be a step into her future, as she’s committed to playing for the University of Portland and the Chiles Center will be her home court in college.

“I’m so excited,” she said. “It’s also like continuing for next year. It’s fun to get to play on that court. It seems super special.”

And while every state tournament is exciting, Davidson agreed that the pool of talent in the 2022-23 girls basketball season is making the trip to the Chiles Center a little extra exciting. The Cavaliers are returning every player from their 2021-22 team, while many of the best players from Beaverton, Barlow, Jesuit and South Medford are all returning from their teams that played under the bright lights last season.

“It’s so exciting. I mean, the Chiles Center is such a great time because it’s all of the best teams in the state and everyone’s is there to compete,” Davidson said. “It’s every competitor’s dream.”

Mogel said the pool of talented players in the Class 6A state tournament is a major win for the girls basketball scene in Oregon.

https://www.oregonlive.com/highschoolsports/2023/03/girls-basketball-clackamas-comes-alive-late-staves-off-jeffersons-third-quarter-rally-to-advance-to-the-state-quarterfinals.html?utm_campaign=oregoniansports_sf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Note there are attached a significant number of photos of the Clackamas team and game, including a great number of photos of Rhyan in action--but I do not know how to reproduce them here. Rhyan is #2 for Clackamas.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:18 am

I was at the Chiles Center yesterday to watch UP signees Lainey Spear and Rhyan Mogel play, and the star of the game was definitely #33 for Clackamas in its lopsided win.

#33 Jazzy Davidson is a just a sophomore, and apparently she has offers from teams such as Stanford, and the UP coaches seemed to suggest "no chance" when I said, "we need to get her!" 

My takeaway from the game:

I now know it is a disservice to high school basketball referees when we hear fans compare WCC women's basketball referees to high school refs.  They were good!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Adam and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next