Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

canadagael's guys at Pilots - February 3 @ 8pm

+7
canadagael
Geezaldinho
Pilot14
ExpatPilot
up7587
blacksheep
DoubleDipper
11 posters

Go down

canadagael's guys at Pilots - February 3 @ 8pm Empty canadagael's guys at Pilots - February 3 @ 8pm

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:43 am

I really thought canadagael would start this thread...maybe next season.  Laughing

The St. Mary's Gaels (17-4/5-1) are visiting the UP campus for the first time in four years for tonight's match with the Pilots (11-10/2-4), but most of us still remember that great "Nacho Night" game 11 years ago when the Pilots blew out the highly favored Gaels, 85-70.

Tonight, SMC (KenPom 20/NET 23) is again highly favored over UP (KenPom 229/NET 224), and the margin of victory is not close:

KenPom 71-58
Las Vegas 13.5 points and o/u 132.5

Remember, the game is televised on ROOT at 8pm, preceded by the Pilot Women (NET 62) taking on BYU (NET 12) at 5pm... also televised on ROOT
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

canadagael's guys at Pilots - February 3 @ 8pm Empty Re: canadagael's guys at Pilots - February 3 @ 8pm

Post by blacksheep Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:41 pm

Anyone know how to watch the game on ROOT with a cable subscription. I do have a valid verizon password to use, but can't seem to make it work on the ROOT app. Verizon says ROOT games are in home only.

I'd go to the game, but like so many people these days, I'm getting over the Rona.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

canadagael's guys at Pilots - February 3 @ 8pm Empty Re: canadagael's guys at Pilots - February 3 @ 8pm

Post by up7587 Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:51 pm

SMC has 4 guys averaging 28 to 29 min/gm, and all scoring in double figures. They are pretty deep, having 8 guys who have played in every game and played at least 10 mins or more. They are shooting 46.5%, but only 34.3% from 3P range. 37% of their shots come from 3P range. Don't think the Pilots will be able to get them into a run and gun game.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:57 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:most of us still remember that great "Nacho Night" game 11 years ago when the Pilots blew out the highly favored Gaels, 85-70.

Can't bring this up and not link this gem featuring Jasonn Hannibal and Nemanja Mitrovic:

Also featured Kramer Knutson making SC Top 10 (best quality I could find):

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilot14 Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:16 pm

blacksheep wrote:Anyone know how to watch the game on ROOT with a cable subscription.  I do have a valid verizon password to use, but can't seem to make it work on the ROOT app.  Verizon says ROOT games are in home only.  

I'd go to the game, but like so many people these days, I'm getting over the Rona.  

There is a Root Sports app you can download - might work?

Pilot14
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2021-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:32 pm

Pilot14 wrote:
blacksheep wrote:Anyone know how to watch the game on ROOT with a cable subscription.  I do have a valid verizon password to use, but can't seem to make it work on the ROOT app.  Verizon says ROOT games are in home only.  

When I try to log in with TV provider, it doesn't give me Xfinity as an option.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilot14 Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:50 pm

blacksheep wrote:
Pilot14 wrote:

When I try to log in with TV provider, it doesn't give me Xfinity as an option.

Poor reading on my part to begin with, seeing as you mentioned the app in your original post *facepalm*

Can you log into your xfinity acct online and use the xfinity stream to watch the Root channel? Root, unfortunately, is pretty hard to stream - they don't have deals in place with many services. I believe they are available on fuboTV - maybe you can use a free trial and watch that way (or, know somebody who has fubo and would lend their login)?

Pilot14
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2021-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:02 pm

Root is now on FuBo. Get a free trial subscription if you don’t have it. Both games are listed tonight.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:10 pm

FloridaPilot wrote:Can't bring this up and not link this gem featuring Jasonn Hannibal and Nemanja Mitrovic:
A couple of Canadians, eh.

And then they played the game:
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by canadagael Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:58 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I really thought canadagael would start this thread...maybe next season.  Laughing

Haha! I thought about it, but I don’t think I’ve earned that privilege yet.

On my way over to Dean Murdoch’s house to play Settlers of Catan, then watch this epic battle.

Prediction: neither of us is happy by the end of the night.
canadagael
canadagael
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2022-01-25

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:18 pm

YARU!!!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:51 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:YARU!!!

It was a 4 point game when I posted this. Good lord
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:01 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:
Dean Murdoch wrote:YARU!!!

It was a 4 point game when I posted this. Good lord

Was starting to feel Porter-era vibes in that second half.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:23 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:Was starting to feel Porter-era vibes in that second half.
Except that this was/is not about the coaching but about the personnel on the court compared to the top-tier teams in the WCC.

Considering one of the starters is a preferred walk-on who was recruited by the Porter staff and was likely unknown to the current staff when he walked in the gym, it would seem there will have to be some player turnover to get the ship going the right direction.

That is in no way a knock on Legs and his staff as they had less than 5 months to recruit an entire team and were recruiting until the beginning of the school year to an institution that is academically rigorous with a VERY crappy record on the basketball court...Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:43 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
Sound Voltex wrote:Was starting to feel Porter-era vibes in that second half.
Except that this was/is not about the coaching but about the personnel on the court compared to the top-tier teams in the WCC.

Considering one of the starters is a preferred walk-on who was recruited by the Porter staff and was likely unknown to the current staff when he walked in the gym, it would seem there will have to be some player turnover to get the ship going the right direction.

That is in no way a knock on Legs and his staff as they had less than 5 months to recruit an entire team and were recruiting until the beginning of the school year to an institution that is academically rigorous with a VERY crappy record on the basketball court...Evil or Very Mad

Yes, nothing personal with the staff itself, just one of those "...it's going to be one of those games, isn't it?" moments.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:26 pm

Thought it was very classy of the SMC players to bump fists with all our players at the beginning of the game. Nobody does that anymore.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Fox Mulder and up7587 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:47 pm

bullwinkle wrote:Thought it was very classy of the SMC players to bump fists with all our players at the beginning of the game.  Nobody does that anymore.  
Must be something they've decided to do on their own or suggested to them by one of the assistant coaches, 'cause Bennett does blow-byes all the time at the end of the game. Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:06 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
bullwinkle wrote:Thought it was very classy of the SMC players to bump fists with all our players at the beginning of the game.  Nobody does that anymore.  
Must be something they've decided to do on their own or suggested to them by one of the assistant coaches, 'cause Bennett does blow-byes all the time at the end of the game. Evil or Very Mad

Haha, Randy didn't blow-bye LMU's Stan Johnson tonight after SMC's victory, but if he's fired up he does for sure.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:29 pm

I imagine that Randy's blow-byes are legendary across the WCC.  Because SMC has been so good for so long, most of their games are probably televised and Randy's blow-byes are a very public display of poor sportsmanship and a lack of self-control and graciousness.  But I like Randy.  The two smallest schools in the WCC are SMC and UP - and we're identical in size.  Randy has an outstanding record at St. Mary's.  I'm sure he's had offers from all over the country to coach at more pretigious schools that would pay him a lot more.  Yet he has stayed at SMC for 21 years.   I hope Shantay Leggans will do the same for us.  The other thing I like about Randy is he does a very emotional hand-slap with every one of his players and assistant coaches before every game begins.  I suspect it's become a superstition for him and the team.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:07 am

On the subject of SMC, I have heard that SMC as a whole is suffering financially.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down